• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If anyone's interested...

That was an enjoyable read. I like it that I can hear it in your voice because I've seen your videos. I am still discovering what traits I take for granted are not they typical experience of other mortals. Sometimes I am surprised when I realise something such as my current suspicion that the number seven in my mind's eye is always red. One thing I have always done that others seem surprised by is use food similes. Things remind me of various types of food, whether it is in texture or colour. Fortunately for me I am aware that mud puddle may look like chocolate milk but won't taste like it.

I hear your voice while I'm reading it. :D

I don't have synesthesia, but I do sometimes get an image of words in my mind. I often feel the need to see a new word in order to know how to pronounce it, even if I've heard it said aloud before. And I noticed one day recently that in order to pronounce a name I'd heard, I needed to picture it in my mind.

We originally started watching shows with the subtitles on because we didn't have a very good speaker, and Peter Capaldi's accent is just a bit thick for American ears. :) But I found that I preferred watching with subtitles all the time, and over time, I realized that I was following the story line better when I could read the dialogue.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hearing it in his voice considerably slow you down because speech is so much slower than reading?

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify the fact that I didn't think to hear it in his voice. :p

Thanks for writing and sharing! I learned things. :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't hearing it in his voice considerably slow you down because speech is so much slower than reading?

I didn't do it on purpose. :) I just started reading and realized that I was hearing his voice in my head--in a completely non-crazy kind of way. :D

And I think it did slow me down. o_O

I also see words, especially abstract concepts that don't evoke a mental image. If I hear 'dog' I will call up lots of images of dogs, also the actual word. If it is something like 'pain', then I see the word rather than any particular object. That's how I remember how to spell words, and what helps me to learn foreign languages. When learning a foreign language, in order to learn new vocabulary, I need to write the words down in order to create a mental image of the actual word and not just the object itself, in order to remember it.

I'm very much a language person, so when watching foreign films, my mind is focused on the foreign language, looking for patterns, aware of the words, grammar and sentence structure, looking for correlations and trying to match meanings of sounds to the subtitles. It's automatic and I find it hard to switch off from this, and hard to follow the plot and what's going on. It works much better if I watch something in English with foreign subtitles, then I can easily pick up the language in this manner.

New Threads

Top Bottom