1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideal Job

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Andrew206, Jul 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Andrew206

Andrew206 Well-Known Member

Many of us want a job where we can work alone or with limited social interaction. With that in mind, what do you think your ideal job would be?

2. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

That's a really tough question to answer, because, there are a lot of factors that come into play here. Particularity, when it come to addressing sensory issues. For example, I work by myself in an electronics lab and a fan started to go out on one of my test instruments. I ordered a new one and it was gonna take 2 weeks for it to get here. In the mean time, the noise from the old one got so bad, that I had to stop using that machine altogether. As a result, I loss over a week of productivity, all because I couldn't handle the noise from a stupid fan going out. Luckily, I work for myself, because, If this was an employed job. I don't know how I would explain this to my boss. I'd probability get laughed at and/or get fired.

3. clg114

clg114 Still crazy, after all these years. Staff Member V.I.P Member

What I have done for a living for 45+ years is a good Aspie job. I spent most of that time working for a Cat dealership as a field service technician. I got to work with my special interest (machines) and I worked alone almost all of the time. Eight years ago I retired and started a repair business working for some of my old customers. Being self employed is even better for a Aspie. With no employer there is even less interaction with other people. It doesn't hurt that I work less and make more ether.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Recall completing a quite long test in high school and college which indicated that being a 'Forest ranger' or a 'Chef' would be the best choice for me. :) Think the fact that I spent most of my time outdoors and worked in the restaurant industry while putting myself through school, skewed the test results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr Allen

Mr Allen Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Well after a few years of Charity Office work, Hospital Radio DJ work and other stuff, I'm now back in the Retail trade after 2 years at PDSA and just over 6 months at Oxfam until I left for personal reasons back in late May.

Customer facing as well, not hidden away in the back like you'd think a lot of Aspies would prefer.