• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideal Job

Andrew206

Many of us want a job where we can work alone or with limited social interaction. With that in mind, what do you think your ideal job would be?

That's a really tough question to answer, because, there are a lot of factors that come into play here. Particularity, when it come to addressing sensory issues. For example, I work by myself in an electronics lab and a fan started to go out on one of my test instruments. I ordered a new one and it was gonna take 2 weeks for it to get here. In the mean time, the noise from the old one got so bad, that I had to stop using that machine altogether. As a result, I loss over a week of productivity, all because I couldn't handle the noise from a stupid fan going out. Luckily, I work for myself, because, If this was an employed job. I don't know how I would explain this to my boss. I'd probability get laughed at and/or get fired.

What I have done for a living for 45+ years is a good Aspie job. I spent most of that time working for a Cat dealership as a field service technician. I got to work with my special interest (machines) and I worked alone almost all of the time. Eight years ago I retired and started a repair business working for some of my old customers. Being self employed is even better for a Aspie. With no employer there is even less interaction with other people. It doesn't hurt that I work less and make more ether.

Recall completing a quite long test in high school and college which indicated that being a 'Forest ranger' or a 'Chef' would be the best choice for me. :) Think the fact that I spent most of my time outdoors and worked in the restaurant industry while putting myself through school, skewed the test results.

Well after a few years of Charity Office work, Hospital Radio DJ work and other stuff, I'm now back in the Retail trade after 2 years at PDSA and just over 6 months at Oxfam until I left for personal reasons back in late May.

Customer facing as well, not hidden away in the back like you'd think a lot of Aspies would prefer.

New Threads

Top Bottom