• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ice Skating

C

Chris

I thought since we're lacking content due to starting yesterday, i'd post another experience i had with Willow here.

This time, its about a time we went ice skating.

I first went ice skating on my 14th birthday (I'd always wanted to try it, and the rink happened to be opposite where we had our meal/went to the cinema) - Willow was with me, woo. So my parents took us, it was in the evening, so it was a 'disco' kind of session (pitch black darkness, loud music, disco lights... possibly the best learning conditions ever![/sarcasm]) I wasn't very good, i think Willow had been a few times before (or at least once) and had a look of 'told you so' all over her face if i remember correctly - and she was right. It is/was harder than it looked. We didn't stay the full session since it was busy, but i really enjoyed it, and went 3 more times over the course of my 'birthday weekend'. Over the next couple years i went fairly often until i stopped going due to getting some trouble from some.. erm.. well, plainly put, chavs. I left it about a year, and since then i've been twice - once with another friend to see if i could still do it, and once with Willow.

Willow has always wanted to be able to ice skate and we happened to be near the rink one night and though we'd give it a try since i had my skates in the car. It was another disco session, so we knew it would be busy and fairly crap conditions for someone as inconfident as Willow on the ice (in terms of skating). I think we both lost our enthusiasm by the time we'd changed into our skates. Willow could hardly walk on the normal surface, nevermind getting mobile on the ice. I tried to help as much i could, since i'm a competent skater, but theres only so much you can do. After about 20 minutes, it was starting to become a bit.. I don't know; dull? Willow finds skating and that kind of thing particularly hard due to her dyspraxia, which is understandable. So the discomfort brought by the inability to remove herself from the situation by not being able to skate off the ice started to make her panic. The loud music, the flashing lights, all that were really starting to get to her. She wasn't really responsive when i was asking her if she wanted to get off the ice, so i just helped her off and we sat down for a few minutes and talked (or i tried to get her to talk). She was reluctant to say she wanted to go, because she knows how much i enjoy skating (bless her), but i decided we should just go, I didn't really want to be there either, the disco sessions arent really all that enjoyable - full of the wrong company. We left and she gradually felt better. Next morning she was fine. :)

It's definite that the best course of action to stop somebody panicking is to completely remove them from the situation thats causing the discomfort. I've had numerous other experiences with Willow where this has been the case. Might post a couple more in here at some point. :)

~Chris.

I tried ice skating once. I totally sucked at it. Dancing is also a waste of time for me.

Crowds are okay, they afford a certain level of anonymity and I don't have to interact with anyone.

I tried ice skating once. I totally sucked at it. Dancing is also a waste of time for me.

Crowds are okay, they afford a certain level of anonymity and I don't have to interact with anyone.
The whole physical coordination thing is usually a big issue with aspies, most of us just don't have any.

This can be overcome if you really want to do it,you have to be really patient with yourself,

and not worry about what others may think of your efforts,

Pick an activity you can do all the time and stick with it.

When I decided to learn Karate everybody said I was a fool,now I an proficient in two fighting systems

and working on two more.

I am a natural skater, I love it. It's the only thing that I can do with my asthma and my lack of coordination, for some reason skating works. I do figure skates and hockey skates, but I prefer hockey skates. Figure skates are too tight. >.<

Skating is awesome. I really took to it. I prefer hockey skates too. ^_^

I tried skating. I spent most of the time on the floor. Ten minutes after useless attempts I crawled, on my knees, to the exit.

i am good with ice skating although not allowed anymore because of my ankles
shiftyninja.gif

What's up with your ankles?

I sprained my ankles while falling from the second floor from a ladder i also cracked my scull
wtf.gif
but not to be worried everything still works and is fixed at least that's what i think gheghe
laugh.gif
at least i can tell the story shall we say
wink.gif
and i am happy to be able to walk....
happy.gif

I love ice skating, but the only one problem I had when I was doing it was that I ended up having having a nasty blister on my foot, it was literally SO painful yet still was good fun. :D

Ended up having problems walking in the end. :thumbsdown:

I love ice skating, but the only one problem I had when I was doing it was that I ended up having having a nasty blister on my foot, it was literally SO painful yet still was good fun. :D

Ended up having problems walking in the end. :thumbsdown:

I'm guessing you were using rental skates? They used to destroy my feet and ankles, blisters everytime unless you have very thick or multiple pairs of socks on. :p

I got my own skates after a while... a lot more comfy. :D

I'm guessing you were using rental skates? They used to destroy my feet and ankles, blisters everytime unless you have very thick or multiple pairs of socks on. :p

I got my own skates after a while... a lot more comfy. :D
Yes, it definitely was rented ones.. :lol: and yes, wearing thick socks actually did help a little but it still left bruises on my feet and I couldn't be bothered to actually buy myself a pair of skates, I don't go there that often, only on the holidays I do (More towards the summer).

Hehe. I used to go with a group of 2-3 friends and they all had rental skates... all their feet were red raw and beyond by the end of the day, everytime. :lol:

Hehe. I used to go with a group of 2-3 friends and they all had rental skates... all their feet were red raw and beyond by the end of the day, everytime. :lol:
That's what happened to everyone I ever went with... :lol: I would be the one that would have the least injuries at least. (I was lucky the last time I went).
Plus I weren't wearing really thick socks, must of been my luck.

If you ever go again, the best advice I could give you is to make sure you lace them up as tight as you possible can. Like. Seriously tight. The less the boot can move and rub on your foot, the less pain you'll be in. :p

If you ever go again, the best advice I could give you is to make sure you lace them up as tight as you possible can. Like. Seriously tight. The less the boot can move and rub on your foot, the less pain you'll be in. :p
That actually kinda helps but those shoes are actually pretty uncomfortable.
Still the same result but the bruses were at the top part of my feet instead. :lol:

I don't have an ice rink near me enough to go regularly- the nearest one is in Doncaster. I haven't got my own skates. My first memory of being on the ice is when I was two. I am what you'd call a natural skater, but since I only go in winter I'm not that good- I mean I can skate, but I can't do any fancy stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom