• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

iBASIS-VIPP

Varzar

V.I.P Member
New therapy for babies can reduce likelihood of autism diagnosis by two-thirds: study

Snippet:
"What this therapy does is help parents understand all the unique ways that their babies are communicating with them with their body language, with their facial expressions, with vocal expressions that aren't necessarily words," said lead researcher Andrew Whitehouse in an interview with CTV News.

Whitehouse, who is a professor of autism research at the University of Western Australia, says the therapy is "quite different" from existing interventions, which generally aim to make the children display more typical behaviours.

Seemed interesting, thought I'd share.

Anyone heard of this before?
What do you think?

The article seems like a very creative way to help families out, and should help autistic kids live in better childhood environments which will decrease problems down the road--and help those parents, too!

The next step in the planning process is to determine the software's architecture. It is referred to as software architecture because it is used to determine software functionality. The software architecture involves defining a software product architecture, listing functional, usability, performance, and security requirements, as well as defining technical details such as implementation processes, source and binary code by mlsdev.com/services/dedicated-development-team, testing technologies, documentation formats, and usage models. All aspects of software development, such as modeling, code maintenance, integration, testing, performance, and documentation handling are included in the software development concept. After this, you need to determine software requirements.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by a few things here. What is the benefit of reducing autism diagnoses? I mean, you can reduce autism diagnoses to 0 just by not getting kids tested, but that wouldn't be helpful.

The overall idea of the program, to study the kid and learning how to interact with that behavior, sounds good. I think that could help the kids grow up well adjusted, but I don't understand how that would lead to a reduction in diagnoses, or why that's so important anyway.

I'm a little confused by a few things here. What is the benefit of reducing autism diagnoses? I mean, you can reduce autism diagnoses to 0 just by not getting kids tested, but that wouldn't be helpful.

The overall idea of the program, to study the kid and learning how to interact with that behavior, sounds good. I think that could help the kids grow up well adjusted, but I don't understand how that would lead to a reduction in diagnoses, or why that's so important anyway.

Yeah, good questions!
I wasn't sure I understood that myself. I assume they are suggesting that by having parents learn to interact with AS babies early on, they don't end up developing some of the social deficits that might develop if the baby was raised like an NT child...? And I guess, then maybe that AS child would not meet the DSM definition of AS anymore, maybe?
But, would that actually make the child any less AS really? I assume they would still think differently than NTs.. I don't know. How much of AS is nature vs. nurture? They seem to be suggesting most of it is nurture.

It seems to me that eventually the child will go to school, will be exposed to NT children and adults, and eventually will have to deal with social trauma. So, I do not buy any any of this.

Having enough experience with many diverse environments, trauma, and both good and bad communications experiences I think what is going on here is that the child and parent are learning to adapt to each other which is a great thing for communication but eventually like someone said above when they get into the real world with NT people problems will still arise because in my experience they often to care to try to understand non-NT people or interpret everything they say and do in completely different ways. This if they get hostile with the non-NT will result in trauma which will eventually entangle with the autistic traits and create a real mess which is something I still deal with to this day. This at most can life a big parental weight though so it's not useless at least. There are a lot of environmental factors that can effect autitsm but the flaw with this approach is from what it says is that it implies ASD is just a state of mind that can be simply overcome. Even though I'm much more functional now I can still tell I am actually wired completely differently than other people and this causes a lot of problems with integrating in general to the larger social world.

New Threads

Top Bottom