• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I went to the psychiatrist

Sora

Professional imaginative
I went to the psychiatrist today because for a while I've been thinking that I may have autism. Although they didn't tell me "you have autism" or anything, after talking to them and saying out loud what I wanted to say, I'm now sure that I do have autism.

I'm happy I'm sure now because I've never related to anything so much, and it's really reassuring to just put together all those aspects of different sizes into a group and have a name to call it. I know I don't really have to label everything, but it just feels really comforting now.

The next step is to do a neuropsychological test so I can get an official diagnosis. I'm kinda nervous about it, though. Wondering what if something goes wrong and they tell me "well, you don't have autism after all" even though I'm so sure about it. Have you ever thought something like that too?

I was recently diagnosed and I absolutely shared how you felt about thinking they might say "You don't have autism'

When I was getting tested, he had a questionnaire that gave me a score of 1-4 based on how you answer the question from "strongly agree' to "strongly disagree" and once your score passes a certain point, the more sure that "test" has you have autism. There's a lot of questions and if you know the social symptoms of autism and think you have at least several of them, you will be scored as "might have autism" which is enough. So if are sure you have those symptoms, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I consider myself "normal" in terms of appearance to neurotypicals and I scored a 167, when 50 was "might be autistic" 75 being " likely to be autistic" and 100 being "very likely to have autism" and I think that alone is enough for a diagnosis, the other "tests" are just used to gauge your need level.
The Psychologist who diagnosed me said he knew I had autism just from speaking to me, and he just needed the tests for official reasons.

Tl;dr It's really easy to be diagnosed if you think you have autism and you shouldn't worry if they already said they think you have it.

I'm not into testing, see my sig line. I fit most of the criteria and that is enough. Unless there is some benefit for you from testing like extra help at school or some sort of disability pension, I wouldn't bother. Everybody's different though.

I'm kinda nervous about it, though. Wondering what if something goes wrong and they tell me "well, you don't have autism after all" even though I'm so sure about it. Have you ever thought something like that too?
I have seen this mentioned on here a number of times. I think it's pretty common. Don't know if that helps. I'm not sure how I would have felt in that situation. Maybe a bit disappointed, like 'back to the drawing board.' I hope it all goes well. :)

I went to the psychiatrist today because for a while I've been thinking that I may have autism. Although they didn't tell me "you have autism" or anything, after talking to them and saying out loud what I wanted to say, I'm now sure that I do have autism.

I'm happy I'm sure now because I've never related to anything so much, and it's really reassuring to just put together all those aspects of different sizes into a group and have a name to call it. I know I don't really have to label everything, but it just feels really comforting now.

The next step is to do a neuropsychological test so I can get an official diagnosis. I'm kinda nervous about it, though. Wondering what if something goes wrong and they tell me "well, you don't have autism after all" even though I'm so sure about it. Have you ever thought something like that too?
All I cared about was will it make the panic disorder worse I had no idea I was autistic I just dreaded if they said I wasn’t that the panic attacks would start

I am worried they will come back with some other dx based on what meds they need to shove on me to keep the huge pharmaceutical industry afloat. Because face it, our life feels like it is controlled by huge corp interests at this point. Since l stopped watching tv, l feel so free. Married to a MD, he was whored to present certain meds to his clients. I understand if the forum disagrees with me. No bad here.

I am worried they will come back with some other dx based on what meds they need to shove on me to keep the huge pharmaceutical industry afloat. Because face it, our life feels like it is controlled by huge corp interests at this point. Since l stopped watching tv, l feel so free. Married to a MD, he was whored to present certain meds to his clients. I understand if the forum disagrees with me. No bad here.
I wasn’t diagnosed for 45 years! and I think the only reason they thought I was autistic is ,because I was off my head ,because I took two prescription medicines together ,that had a really bad effect !and I couldn’t keep still ,someone had said borderline personality disorder ,so in my autistic brain that was all it could be .

based on what meds they need to shove on me to keep the huge pharmaceutical industry afloat
I can relate to that. I think there's some truth in it. I had numerous doctors try to get me on to cholesterol lowering medication. In the end I got it down myself by changing my diet. I'm not saying that's always possible but I really felt the strength of that push and I think it was to do with the big pharma thing and making money.
Having said that, there would be many drs out there who don't agree with that and strive to make sure they don't prescribe (or diagnose) based on medications and corporations needs and wants. It's hard to know who and what to place your trust in sometimes though.

I can relate to that. I think there's some truth in it. I had numerous doctors try to get me on to cholesterol lowering medication. In the end I got it down myself by changing my diet. I'm not saying that's always possible but I really felt the strength of that push and I think it was to do with the big pharma thing and making money.
Having said that, there would be many drs out there who don't agree with that and strive to make sure they don't prescribe (or diagnose) based on medications and corporations needs and wants. It's hard to know who and what to place your trust in sometimes though.
In Australia do they just immediately give you statins for high cholesterol ?in the UK the seem to do it if you are a certain age !but I think at another age they say either diet first or statins which I rather wouldn’t want.

Just so you know they only give me a piece of paper so I might /could get welfare benefits apart from that they told the doctor because the NHS lives for redtape I have a certain level of respect for psychiatry but not a huge amount .

in the UK you have the added snobbery that if you pay privately for a diagnosis ,the NHS don’t want to accept it !as they say the therapist only give you the diagnosis because you paid for it .They are unbelievable !they don’t have the time to help you ,yet if you pay for it they don’t like it.

in the UK you have the added snobbery that if you pay privately for a diagnosis ,the NHS don’t want to accept it !as they say the therapist only give you the diagnosis because you paid for it .They are unbelievable !they don’t have the time to help you ,yet if you pay for it they don’t like it.

That hasn't been the case for me. I'm in the UK, I paid for my assessment as the NHS waiting time was too long (in excess of 12 months). My diagnosis has been accepted by the NHS and other organisations such as my employer's occupational health dept and Access to Work.

What is your experience? Did you pay for your assessment and it not be accepted by the NHS?

That hasn't been the case for me. I'm in the UK, I paid for my assessment as the NHS waiting time was too long (in excess of 12 months). My diagnosis has been accepted by the NHS and other organisations such as my employer's occupational health dept and Access to Work.

What is your experience? Did you pay for your assessment and it not be accepted by the NHS?
No I didn’t pay for mine because somebody said they wouldn’t accept it ,didn’t want to take the risk ,the doctor doesn’t like me to start with.If I’d known they would’ve accepted it I would’ve done it an age before that , which area are you in? ,I’m in tyne and wear

No I didn’t pay for mine because somebody said they wouldn’t accept it ,didn’t want to take the risk ,the doctor doesn’t like me to start with.If I’d known they would’ve accepted it I would’ve done it an age before that , which area are you in? ,I’m in tyne and wear

I'm in Worcestershire and had my assessment in Northamptonshire.

Just because one person said to you that 'they' wouldn't accept it doesn't make it fact. And also, it could be quite damaging for people who want to pursue a private assessment as the NHS waiting times are far too long, but are put off by comments that it's not accepted when it actually is accepted.

A private assessment is no less valid than one provided by the NHS. In fact, a lot of NHS doctors have a private practice. A neuro psychiatrist in the West Midlands who works for the NHS carrying out assessments for autism and ADHD also has a private clinic doing the same. Why would he set up his own private clinic if the private assessments weren't accepted?

My assessment was extremely thorough, my report is far more comprehensive than the NHS would provide. This was stated directly to me by several health professionals - the NHS neuro psychiatrist I saw several months post my private assessment/diagnosis, my GP, the doctor at my employer's Occupational Health department and also by another NHS psychiatrist.

I'm in Worcestershire and had my assessment in Northamptonshire.

Just because one person said to you that 'they' wouldn't accept it doesn't make it fact. And also, it could be quite damaging for people who want to pursue a private assessment as the NHS waiting times are far too long, but are put off by comments that it's not accepted when it actually is accepted.

A private assessment is no less valid than one provided by the NHS. In fact, a lot of NHS doctors have a private practice. A neuro psychiatrist in the West Midlands who works for the NHS carrying out assessments for autism and ADHD also has a private clinic doing the same. Why would he set up his own private clinic if the private assessments weren't accepted?

My assessment was extremely thorough, my report is far more comprehensive than the NHS would provide. This was stated directly to me by several health professionals - the NHS neuro psychiatrist I saw several months post my private assessment/diagnosis, my GP, the doctor at my employer's Occupational Health department and also by another NHS psychiatrist.
why are you criticising me ?

I had a private assessment in the UK, which my GP arranged for me. My GP assured me that the diagnonsis was valid for the NHS.

I'm not criticising you.

You stated something based on what 'somebody had said'.

You then asked a question which I answered and added additional facts.

No criticism. Just a factual account.

That’s not criticism, it’s a different viewpoint and experience from your own. It was given politely and with respect, and I’m sure I’m not the only one which found the reply you were given had useful information.

That’s not criticism, it’s a different viewpoint and experience from your own. It was given politely and with respect, and I’m sure I’m not the only one which found the reply you were given had useful information.
it wasn’t useful to me

New Threads

Top Bottom