• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I was let go by my fulltime job and I don't know what to do.

Hello all, this is my first post but I am reaching out because I was let go by my first fulltime job 2 weeks ago and I feel like a total failure. I am pretty sure there was prejudice against me for being different (I did not mention my autism on my resume or interview). I even organized a meeting with my boss to discuss how to rectify the mistakes I was making, which he agreed on. Instead of helping me, he turned around and fired me on the spot.

Now, this was a job I absolutely loathed, not because of the work itself, but the people I was surrounded by. Shallow, vicious backstabbers, all crammed into a tiny office. We even all took personality tests and passed them around. They all scored next to 0 on empathy scores and I knew I was in trouble. This one woman tried to get me fired not even 1 week in just because I wasnt grasping the work right away (I recieved no training from my boss and contradicting info depending on who was "training" me)

But I needed the money. I rent a 1 bedroom apartment on my own. I have car payments. I cant stomach the thought of moving back in with my abusive parents or returning to my crappy job at Burger King (my ex boss asked if I wanted to come back when she found out I was fired). I feel like a pathetic loser next to my boyfriend who has held the same job for 15 years and has moved up to making close to 6 figures. I had dreams of moving out of that toxic department and into the entry level IT department, but that dream is over. I am so hopeless because the only jobs I qualify for are call center jobs and customer service jobs that paid less than what I was making. I wish I didnt blow off college when I was younger cause then maybe i'd have a somewhat happy existance.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear the bad news, but things will get better!

Hi and welcome. This sounds very difficult for you, and even so, when you describe your coworkers I feel glad for you that you have got out of there! Could you reframe this as a lucky Escape!? I remember my first 'career' job in a housing department, I hated it and felt ill every day on my way there. They seemed pretty dissapointed with me too.. Finally after a few months I gave notice, but I actually never went in again, I forfeited the pay... I got a local, non-career job, after a few weeks, which was ok, then I applied for a further training.

I never regretted leaving, and it didn't stop me progressing. Most of us on the spectrum will take a while to find a fit in employment, and will feel challenged by aspects of relating at work and especially in workplaces where others are mean or no good at supporting staff properly. Think about your strengths, I bet you have plenty to offer. Sounds like you are well out of there, and have to think about how to find a fit you enjoy, it may take further trainings and qualifications. Nothing wrong with a fast food job in the meantime, but also check out other possibilities.

I hope you enjoy it here and feel supported, people are friendly and helpful here.

:cookingegg::coffee::cookie::wineglass::grapes::shavedice:

Hi and welcome. This sounds very difficult for you, and even so, when you describe your coworkers I feel glad for you that you have got out of there! Could you reframe this as a lucky Escape!? I remember my first 'career' job in a housing department, I hated it and felt ill every day on my way there. They seemed pretty dissapointed with me too.. Finally after a few months I gave notice, but I actually never went in again, I forfeited the pay... I got a local, non-career job, after a few weeks, which was ok, then I applied for a further training.

I never regretted leaving, and it didn't stop me progressing. Most of us on the spectrum will take a while to find a fit in employment, and will feel challenged by aspects of relating at work and especially in workplaces where others are mean or no good at supporting staff properly. Think about your strengths, I bet you have plenty to offer. Sounds like you are well out of there, and have to think about how to find a fit you enjoy, it may take further trainings and qualifications. Nothing wrong with a fast food job in the meantime, but also check out other possibilities.

I hope you enjoy it here and feel supported, people are friendly and helpful here.

:cookingegg::coffee::cookie::wineglass::grapes::shavedice:

Thank you! I am definitely looking at it as a blessing. I am just afraid of running out of money, or becoming unemployable if im out for too long. I think I will need to split rent with someone but I dont even know if one will want me without steady employment. Also entertained the thought of packing up and moving to the west coast if the opportunities are better, the thought of moving to a different country entirely scares me, but the culture in the US seems poisonous and by the sounds of it Europeans are far more accepting. Thank you for the advice and for welcoming me to the forum! :)

Most of us have lost a job at some point. It's a big adjustment and yet, as discouraged as you feel, it's necessary to work hard at getting another job.

Be careful comparing yourself to your more successful boyfriend. He might face a similar crisis in his own life and will feel just as discouraged as you do right now.

Develop an action plan for seeking employment, remembering that job-hunting is a whole job in itself. Put in a lot of hours weekly to job-hunting. The worst possible thing is to sit immobilized in your apartment. I also liked the suggestion that another commenter made, that you view this as a lucky escape to enable you to get a better situation.

I hope you find the forum useful.

This happens to most of us sometime and its hard.

First DONT blame youre self and defenetly DONT blame youre diagnose as you said youre self they dident know about it + you alredy said you hated the place.

Second im more then shore that you will find another job BUT you need to do everything you can to get it (this is now youre new fulltime occupation trying to find a new job) use youre own personal contacts , contact possible employer's directly (prefably in person ) DONT stopp until you find it.

And last youre NOT a pathetic looser simple as that you HAD this job and you can darn shore find another one (slamming fist in determination)

So get to work finding it :)

Last edited:
Hey - l like the fact you are independent taking care of yourself. I am just quiting a job because l really can't learn anymore and am not treated nicely by some of the robo-chauvinistic men who seem to predominate the male numbers here. Didn't go thru this as much on the west coast.
Can you find a shared rental? Maybe that would ease up some of the stress. Some older people are looking for light housekeeping and cleaning and will offer a room in return. Good luck- keep looking and stay positive and try not to compare yourself to others.

I am 32 and still working my way through college. I am in my first year of a three year Master's program. I finished my Bachelor's degree a couple years ago at the age of 30. It's not too late to go to school. I remember trying to find a job when I hadn't completed my degree. It's nearly impossible to find one that pays enough to cover rent. Perhaps you can view this setback as an opportunity to do something you are passionate about. It was about this time last year that I decided I was going to grad school. It hasn't been easy, but I don't regret it.

First off welcome to the forums. Second off sorry to hear you lost your job. Would you qualify for some unemployment benefits? If so avail of those. Also contact a career counsellor to determine your next steps career wise.

I'm sorry you lost your job. Are you living in the US?

Thank you! I am definitely looking at it as a blessing. I am just afraid of running out of money, or becoming unemployable if im out for too long. I think I will need to split rent with someone but I dont even know if one will want me without steady employment. Also entertained the thought of packing up and moving to the west coast if the opportunities are better, the thought of moving to a different country entirely scares me, but the culture in the US seems poisonous and by the sounds of it Europeans are far more accepting. Thank you for the advice and for welcoming me to the forum! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom