• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think my girlfriend might have Aspergers

Boyfriend85

I think my girlfriend might have Aspergers or highly functioning autism. Without being aware of it.

We’ve been dating for a year, and I’ve gotten to know her very well during that time. I’m under the impression that she hasn’t spend this extensive amount of time with anyone since moving out at the age of 18.

Here are some signs (I’m sorry if I resort to stereotypes here or if what I’m writing is insensitive - I’m new to the forums and have limited knowledge, thus the ignorance):

1)

She is 28 and has never had a relationship that lasted longer than a couple of months.

2)

She can be very social and charismatic in party situations / when drinking, but always needs to “re-load” afterwards by spending extended time in complete solitude (she lives in her own apartment).

3)

She has many fiends, but can choose to spend entire weekends on her own with no social interaction whatsoever for 48+ hours, just binge watching TV and focusing on hobbies she can enjoy in solitude.

3)

She has very geeky hobbies that she does when on her own, like watching anime series (she’s watched hundreds of different shows, thousands of episodes), reading various comics books and fantasy literature, and playing certain video games - hobbies that match guy friends I have who are openly autistic (or prefer the term “Asperger”). The intensity with which she indulges in these hobbies also match their level of intensity.

4)

She will sometimes, especially when she’s tired, suddenly “switch” from her usually charming social behaviour into a different “mode” where her tone, way of speaking / expressing herself and the things she says come off as rude or offensive to me, or her friends, or family. In this “mode” she keeps being brutally honest, saying things that are better left unsaid, and she becomes puzzled when I / they become uncomfortable or hurt. Only after I go to great lengths to explain to her why what she said was hurtful, will she begin to understand. Or at least pretend to understand - I’m unsure. She will however insist that her _intention_ wasn’t to offend, and state that she only “said the truth” (or variations of that statement).

5)

She’s incredibly intelligent and good at her job. But: At her last workplace, where she worked for many years, she kept getting into trouble because of the behaviour I explained in the previous point. She would offend co-workers, and keep getting into heated arguments with her manager, due to being too “direct” and honest and unable to combine her tremendous skill at her job with a successful “playing along” of the social rules and conventions of a professional workplace situation. In other words: the intricate social game we all play at the office in-between performing actual work, in order to be liked by our peers and bosses and gain their goodwill. In the end, she was to her absolute horror fired from a job she excelled at because of “difficult behaviour”. It broke my heart to see how much that hurt her.

6)

Communication via text with her online is always perfect. She communicates like any other person, or actually better than most people, she appears “warm” and excited and displays nothing but high social intelligence, and tops it all off with lots of emoji use. Face to face or on the phone, however, she might suddenly say a sentence in a completely unexpected tone. A sentence that in the current context would normally be said with a playful or warm or friendly tone, is suddenly uttered with tones that seem to express annoyance or apathy or anger or similar. And with no emoji to add to the sentence, I interpret it as unfriendly. After this happens, if I point it out, she’s completely unable to recall saying the sentence in that manner. She will argue that we “remember differently” what happened. But I’ve experienced situations where she’s done this with her best friend or her mother present (to me / them), and the look on their faces would reveal to me that they were as taken aback by the uttering as I was.

7)

She has a very hard time adjusting to social expectations such as showing up to work on time, and showing up to appointments on time. She keeps running late for almost anything, and it appears to be because she never manages to anticipate how much time she needs to get ready, but also because she’s never able to correctly anticipate how long any commute will take her. She knows that people get annoyed at her because of this, but keeps repeating the mistake.

8)

She’s a very anxious person, constantly afraid of minor and major catastrophes and obsessing over details in everyday life. She’s afraid to slip and fall while walking, afraid to be hit by cars when crossing the street, afraid of leaving any electronic device in the power outlet for too long, afraid of not cleaning the dishes thoroughly enough before putting them in the dishwasher, afraid of becoming ill by contagion, afraid of making a mess anywhere, etc. It seems almost like OCD. Or anxiety. But she’s just so detail oriented overall.

9)

She’s unusually sensitive to sounds, smells, bright light etc. We both love music, and love the same artists, but she has to keep asking me to turn off music on my stereo when she’s at my apartment, because she seems unable to “tune out” background music and maintain a conversation at the same time. Or the music will just exhaust her. She says she perceives music very intensely. Her ability to smell food and taste food also seems above average, and she’s the only person I know who has to keep telling me to turn the brightness of my phone screen down, because any sharp light exhausts her. She recently began describing herself as “hypersensitive”, after reading an online article on the topic.

10)

She’s an only child, and her mother once told me that “she therefore can act odd or self-absorbed in certain situations and sometimes isn’t skilled at taking other people’s feelings or needs into consideration”

She’s a beautiful and lovely person. But after having known her for one year, I feel like she might have been fired from that job for a reason. She CAN be “difficult” once one gets to know her well.

And I feel unfair every time I get offended or annoyed at her for her behaviour. If she is on the spectrum, I wish we’d all just know, so we could adjust accordingly and better understand her limitations instead of being disappointed by her.

I’m terrified of telling her that I suspect she might be on the spectrum. I wish she knew that me saying that doesn’t mean I love her any less. I just want her to be happy.

Ask her mom to look at the diagnoses criteria from childhood. That is when it is the easiest to see. But the autism doesn't go away just because she learned to mask certain behaviors. You really need to look at early childhood for an accurate dx.

It sounds like you care for her very much and that her mother is unaware of the possibility of the spectrum, instead resorting to the untrue stereotypes of only children as an explanation. I would be concerned that if you speak to her mother behind her back she will not like that. It may feel like ganging up on her or being secretive. I think you need to present to her as kindly as you can, the traits that you see, and frame the job firing more in terms of how difficult and awful for her rather than it being her fault even if it technically is. There is time later for her to come to terms with her own foibles and how she has sabotaged herself. You will be running the risk that she will be angry or hurt and it may lead to a break up. That is the risk you take because as it is, there is a chance her behavours could lead to a break up anyhow. If you care about her you will want to do what is best for her and for the relationship and what is best for her is for her to truly know herself and be able to succeed in relationships and with work and to be supported by people who care and understand. I think this is what you want for her and I think the best way to achieve it is to be direct with her. Good Luck.

She has many fiends? Wow, some people have all the luck.

Seriously, people are complicated things and we are not shrinks or therapists here. HFA is just one aspect of people's personality and sometimes not the major or dominant component. So looking at your list, yes some things sound Aspie-ish and some do not. A lot could be either. There's a lot more NT video addicts out there then ASD people for instance. And if it is HFA there is no silver bullet. No cure, no medication. There are treatments/meds for the co-morbids that often/usually come along with it, like anxiety/depression, and counseling in one form or another might be helpful in learning about autistic tendencies and common behaviors.

I can understand your concern, and that you are trying to do right by her. That being said, nobody but a psychiatrist can diagnose her. So in that regard I can't help.

She may already have an idea something’s off, not quite right.

I think Identifying with the hypersensitivity article may mean she’s already looking to understand differences she’s noticing.

Hypersensitivity is also a major player in anxiety disorders, not just Autism.

Has she met your friends ? The ‘openly autistic’ ones ?

If she’s gone through her life to date believing she’s (almost) just like everyone else,
And you try to suggest she’s not.
Instead she’s something she may never have even considered,

I’m guessing she may want a list of your qualifications as evidence you’re able to make that call.

Imagine her doing the same thing to you.
Convincing you you’re not who you thought you were.

Would you believe her ?
(If you too had loads of friends and a job)

If you’re worried about her mental health or she’s struggling to function day to day then suggest a doctors appointment.

Other than that, gently does it.

Talk about your autistic friends and perhaps, their interpretation of the world they live in.
How they deal with challenges.
How they recharge, what may stress them out,
with her, in general conversation.

It will either fly straight over her head or something will click... assuming she’s looking for answers.
(And when she’s alone, she’ll be online researching it further)

And I feel unfair every time I get offended or annoyed at her for her behaviour. If she is on the spectrum, I wish we’d all just know, so we could adjust accordingly and better understand her limitations instead of being disappointed by her.

Everybody has limitations. Can't people adjust accordingly and better understand her without a diagnosis?

You could just say something like, I wonder if your hypersensitivity is at all an Aspie thing? My friend, Joe, is Aspie and he says the same thing about lights and noises!
Then she can research it or not. And you haven’t said anything she hasn’t already researched about herself.

Some of the things listed sound like they could be related to ASD, some don't. Why are you terrified of talking to her about it? Has she expressed negative perceptions of autistic people in the past? Honesty is so important in relationships I think you should just talk to her about it and be prepared to weather the consequences.

Do you really need a label into order to understand and adjust to her? She is who she is, regardless of whether she is autistic or not she is always going to be herself. Maybe you should concentrate on understanding and accepting her as she is rather than looking for a diagnosis to excuse her faults.

Couldn't you adjust accordingly anyway?
You have to do that in a relationship.

Are you disappointed in her as she is not behaving in accordance with what you (and others) have defined as socially acceptable?

Doesn't the disappointment belong to you and is therefore something for you to understand?

Certainly social expectations and projections of what is acceptable may be a learning curve for you.

It may be something to look at yourself first before leaping into the diagnosis and/or judgment of another person.

I was under the impression she was part of your conversations with her mom. I agree, you do not want to do anything behind her back. But mom’s information is necessary for finding out if you are on the right track. Does she actually meet the diagnostic criteria for autism?

And I disagree, there are therapists here and hopefully psychiatrists even check in from time to time. If they work with autistic this would be a great asset to help them understand us and ask questions.

But no reputable therapist or doctor would even consider dx someone without meeting the person. All we can do is help you find out if you are in the all park.

First off, you may or may not appreciate this amusing little nugget: The moment I read the title "I think my girlfriend may have Asperger's," my first thought was, "Lucky fellow." :sunglasses:

She does sound Aspie-ish, but not definitively. As for talking to her about it... the first thing you don't want to do is have the attitude "I don't know how to break it to her." For many of us on the varying points of spectrum, we credit just as many or more of our strengths and gifts to it as we would our quirks and difficulties.

I'm not sure how to suggest you open that line of discussion. After all, you're talking to a lot of people on the spectrum here, so our tendency is either to say nothing or to just blurt it out like a blunt object.

I agree with JDShredds.
Damn, I'm feeling envy! :eek:

And helping someone to understand who they are and why, out of love for them, is being helpful and caring.. So I wouldn't think that it would difficult to talk about it in a way that comes across as well intentioned.
Maybe it would help her to not feel at fault for struggling and failing at that social stuff when she gets tired of masking. I know I used to feel terrible about that, blaming myself for being too weird, letting my weird show when I got overwhelmed, and thinking that I just wasn't trying hard enough and should try harder.. which turned out to be like swimming against the tide.

New Threads

Top Bottom