• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I accidentally ate dish soap. Do I panic?

selena

Normally I wouldn't panic, but I'm more anxious lately, and some of my google searches say I can indeed diarrhea myself to death. I haven't feel compelled to use the bathroom yet, but who knows how long the process is supposed to take.

So, what happened is: I don't normally cook, but when I do, I'd normally leave soapy water in my frying pan for a few days to make it easier to rinse, and unlike most people I just put it back on the stove. Because I've been so out of it lately, I completely forgot to actually rinse it. By today, the water had evaporated because of all the heat, it looked clean, so I just used it to boil some rice. It wasn't until I was done eating and ready to do the dishes did I notice the residue on the frying pan that made me realize I forgot to rinse after the last time I used it.

So, based on that, do I panic? Call poison control? How many hours after consumption can I expect any symptoms? Or the amount I did consume was unlikely to do any real damage? Help!

Just drink some water, there probably wasn't much detergent in the pan, or you would have tasted it.

Normally I wouldn't panic, but I'm more anxious lately, and some of my google searches say I can indeed diarrhea myself to death. I haven't feel compelled to use the bathroom yet, but who knows how long the process is supposed to take.

So, what happened is: I don't normally cook, but when I do, I'd normally leave soapy water in my frying pan for a few days to make it easier to rinse, and unlike most people I just put it back on the stove. Because I've been so out of it lately, I completely forgot to actually rinse it. By today, the water had evaporated because of all the heat, it looked clean, so I just used it to boil some rice. It wasn't until I was done eating and ready to do the dishes did I notice the residue on the frying pan that made me realize I forgot to rinse after the last time I used it.

So, based on that, do I panic? Call poison control? How many hours after consumption can I expect any symptoms? Or the amount I did consume was unlikely to do any real damage? Help!

I think most likely the amount you consumed would not do any real damage. You could try calling poison control or a hospital just to get an opinion. When it comes to poisoning by dish soap, I imagine the real emergency would be if a child gulped some straight from the bottle.

It sounds like you should not worry. But do keep yourself well hydrated. If you get persistant symptoms like the runs or a stomach ache that doesn't go away then I would contact your doctor.

Hydration dilutes the toxicity of dish soap. To start, it was diluted with water just sitting in the pan which eventually evaporated. Then factor in your own consumption of water.

In essence there wasn't likely enough dish soap at pure strength to make you sick. Diluting whatever dish soap that was ingested is the key in the even of inadvertently ingesting dish soap.

But read it for yourself from a major manufacturer, quite keen on their own products liability. Certainly in its most purest form it can be potentially toxic if ingested. However under your circumstances, I just don't see it.

"If you accidentally swallow dish soap, immediately drink water to dilute the product. Do not induce vomiting. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention."

Wondering about the safety of dish soap or what to do if soap gets in your eyes? Dawn Dish Soap’s FAQs on Safety can help.

Last edited:
This is the sort of thing I can be all calm and logical about because it happened to someone else. If something similar happened to me, which is highly probable, I would be nervous about it for at least 72 hrs.

I picked up the wrong tube that looked like my eye ointment about a month ago,
and put the gel along the lower eyelid inside.
It was Campho-phenique gel! Wow, did it hurt!
I called poison control and they said to get under the shower and let the water hit my forehead
and keep the eye open as the water poured down into it.

That was good advice. It eased the pain and I saw my PC the next day who thought it had
caused no damage.

It is easy to make unthinking mistakes.

Sounds like good advice has been given here. I think you'll be OK too.
The amount would have been little and diluted. If you should get really sick with diarrhea,
do call or see your doctor. Take care.

If you start to feel sick or have great nausea call a doctor but I don't think the amount you consumed will hurt you.I read and watch a lot of true crime,people who were poisoned with anti-freeze(ethylene glycol)it took months of having there food or drinks in doses a person would not taste poisoned for them to end up in the hospital or even die.Even Arsenic in doses a person couldn't notice in a drink would take three months to kill someone.

If you don't feel horrific right after ingestion your likely not going to sick or die.Cyanide and thalium are the only things I know of that could kill someone right away in a dose not noticeable by the recipient.

Nah, if it were enough to do any harm, you wouldn't have been able to eat the rice because the taste would have made you gag.

Dish soap isn't exactly toxic. You might not want to be too far from a bathroom for the rest of the day though.

when i was a kid i fed my brohter dishsoap water (i clearly got punished after i was informed why it was wrong) as a prank and he lived without calling poison control. so i believe in ur physical tenacity and u will survive

It's always a good idea to google it and find out what you are dealing with (the internet is a great resource in this respect) but fortunately small ammounts of things often will not cause a serious problem. And you are not alone with things like that happening. I am not sure if it an Aspie thing or not but have always been somewhat absent minded and have to try and be extra careful, keep lists and memory joggers, etc. For instance in the last few months I've accidentally given one of the dogs my meds and conversely taken theirs. But the only effect was that they felt no pain and I got got no fleas or ticks that day.

Nah, if it were enough to do any harm, you wouldn't have been able to eat the rice because the taste would have made you gag.

Dish soap isn't exactly toxic. You might not want to be too far from a bathroom for the rest of the day though.
Exactly,companies who make this stuff aren't stupid,they accidents happen,things like toothpaste and soap are designed not to hurt you.If it's designed to clean the dishes you eat off,it's likely not toxic.

No, you're absolutely fine if it was only residual. I've already done this and there were no ill effects afterwards, but the food was...bitter, I guess. Carry on with your day.

New Threads

Top Bottom