• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I see a trend- NTs and non NTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
i see a trend. Women NTs come on here to ask about Aut/aspie men.

Rarely do NT men come to ask about aut/aspie women.

Are women just forced to hide it? Do NT men have a greater dislike for A women than NT women have for A men?

I know i have not had even a HINT of a date for 2 decades. Maybe 1. Quite a record, there. I would have to pay a guy to take me out. I just might and then ask him what makes me so deplorable

The two reasons I can think of:

-More guys are diagnosed with ASD than women.

-Quite a few of the NT women who have showed up on this forum have decided to diagnose their boyfriend themselves with misguided ideas about what ASD is because of what they have gleamed from pop culture. I have heard a women say about a guy she worked with who was difficult, "I wish I knew where he was on the Spectrum so I'd know what I was dealing with". I know the guy and he is difficult, annoyingly so, and there is no reason I can see to suspect ASD. Can't think of a single autistic trait the guy has. But apparently a lot of women think annoying and difficult are the diagnostic criteria.

-Quite a few of the NT women who have showed up on this forum have decided to diagnose their boyfriend themselves with misguided ideas about what ASD is because of what they have gleamed from pop culture. I have heard a women say about a guy she worked with who was difficult, "I wish I knew where he was on the Spectrum so I'd know what I was dealing with". I know the guy and he is difficult, annoyingly so, and there is no reason I can see to suspect ASD. Can't think of a single autistic trait the guy has. But apparently a lot of women think annoying and difficult are the diagnostic criteria.

I agree with this completely. More recently there seems to be a spike in threads where the woman posting thinks the man may be on the spectrum, rather than actually knowing that he is.

I don't know whether men dating female Aspie's just deal with it better, or whether it's down to female Aspie's being better at mimicry and 'hiding' it to a degree.

A gross over simplification and generalization follows.....

I’ve read a few studies on the topic:

Empathic women find the aspie man:
- cloaked or dark
- mysterious
- intelligent

The empathic women take it upon themselves to:
- help this man express is emotions
- nurture him as only she can do
- expect him to change

Then, when he does not change because he is wired that way:
- the empathic woman makes him wrong and pushes him until he leaves her, therefore the failed relationship is his fault so she can feel good about herself

- cloaked or dark
- mysterious
- intelligent

- expect him to change

- the empathic woman makes him wrong and pushes him until he leaves her, therefore the failed relationship is his fault so she can feel good about herself

Funny but true.
Everybody lives out their own patterns.

Looking to themselves to change as the last choice instead of the first choice.

Funny but true.
Everybody lives out their own patterns.

Looking to themselves to change as the last choice instead of the first choice.
Agreed - for many it is usually easier to expect someone else to change rather than to lean into the problem and change self

- cloaked or dark
- mysterious
- intelligent

- expect him to change

Sweeping generalisation

Sweeping generalisation

I actually thought Keigan's post was pretty accurate, based on my own views which would be similar. Now, one generalization which I think that is really sweeping is: "99% of children are vile," that you have made a few times. I totally disagree with that premise. Any really bad children are often because of bad parenting or teaching, if not genetics. So, let's put the focus there.

Now if you said there is a study that says 80% of certain aged children are not caring or helping, I have read that, and could consider that, if other similar and more recent studies backed that up. That Harvard study of 10,000 middle and high school students said those larger percentage of children chose achievement at a high level or personal happiness instead of caring for others, as their priority.

Last edited:
I think Keigan, Kay and Xudo made some very valid points.
In addition to that, perhaps the emerging trend has something to do with the personality type of the NT: I can't remember what it's called in psychology, but there's a type of person with a social worker mentality who, when in a relationship, make it their mission to help "solve" whatever problems they've identified (or think they have identified) in their partner. So they will try to fix, fix, fix, and oftentimes move on once there is nothing more to fix, or if their partner isn't malleable enough.
Now, I'm not judging people who are looking for solutions, but sometimes the problem isn't where they think it is, and the "fix" calls for changes on both ends, not just the non-NT one. In fact, most times it doesn't even seem there is a problem, just a variation from the norm the NT partner is accustomed to. (To which my father would say: if you can't stand the heat, stay out the kitchen)

I dunno. Just a thought. I'm starting to lose patience with the posts we're mentioning and really wish there were a more specific section (not just dating and relationship... like a subset that I can't even see unless I look for it, because everytime my eyes catch one of these posts, I can't help but read them, and then I'm so pissed I have to reply, but I stay angry for days over the fact they always want the Aspie partner to change to suit their needs, but never does it cross their mind that maybe it's not fair to demand that one changes in order to accommodate the other'd whimsical demands? Sorry for the rant. Like I said, they make me very angry.

Are women just forced to hide it? Do NT men have a greater dislike for A women than NT women have for A men?

I know i have not had even a HINT of a date for 2 decades. Maybe 1. Quite a record, there. I would have to pay a guy to take me out. I just might and then ask him what makes me so deplorable
At least we are experts on the subject of being ourselves. Changing ourselves is a lot trickier.

I just count my self lucky to have found one lady to date then marry me.

I think Keigan, Kay and Xudo made some very valid points.
I can't help but read them, and then I'm so pissed I have to reply, but I stay angry for days over the fact they always want the Aspie partner to change to suit their needs, but never does it cross their mind that maybe it's not fair to demand that one changes in order to accommodate the other'd whimsical demands? Sorry for the rant. Like I said, they make me very angry.
Go post it to 'em!

At least we are experts on the subject of being ourselves. Changing ourselves is a lot trickier.

I just count my self lucky to have found one lady to date then marry me.

I also consider myself very lucky to be married to a wonderful lady/

The NT women who are talking here about the Aspie guys are already seeing them, so if the NT women never saw or knew about an Aspie guy in her life, most would have no reason to come here.

So, the fact, that less NT guys are talking about Aspie women here could be because either less NT guys are in relationships with Aspie women, or as those NT guys need less direction or support from any forum and its members, or as they maybe accept her more as she is. Or they may feel they already have the answers.

Personally, in general, from my many experiences and observations, I think more NT guys may be more willing to date a woman with a condition, than an NT lady date a guy with a condition, as the stereotype is women want stronger guys, and guys may supposedly be ok with women who are seen as having some weakness or they can help or protect.

However, this generalization can change when Aspergers is the condition, as an NT guy according to society often wants a physical relationship foremost, and maybe they think Aspie women can have a harder time with that. Likewise, many NT women often wants a successful guy, and they may perceive Aspies as intelligent and hard working in a particular field. That interests them, but they may unfairly want more later.

So, I admit I feel it could be harder for many NT guys to date an Aspie woman, unless he felt some of his physical needs could be met, if those guys assumed you were not physically available during any attempted relationship. In my case, although I kept showing interest and persistence online to my wife as a friend first, despite her severe different condition, I actually liked it when I saw later signs she could accept or initiate more than friendship, due to my shyness.

In your case, and any single persons' situation here who are open minded to a relationship, I do not necessarily see any of your cases as hopeless. All you have to do is make yourself heard and make small steps to lead in that direction, and go to those places that would have those types of persons you are looking for. If you are most comfortable expressing through writing, make friends that way first, and that could lead to more.

The key is to not only tell prospective friends or dating partners a lot about yourself, and what you are looking for, but to inquire from them either individually or from a forum of others what they are looking for as well. The ones that run away or seem disinterested or do not want to learn more, let them go. They would not be suitable anyway. The ones that are open minded, inquire further, and gives things a chance, those are the ones that would have interested me when I was single.

Also, again, it is ok for women to initiate these days, if something catches their eye. Many nicer guys fear rejection, too.

Last edited:
I dunno. Just a thought. I'm starting to lose patience with the posts we're mentioning and really wish there were a more specific section (not just dating and relationship... like a subset that I can't even see unless I look for it, because everytime my eyes catch one of these posts, I can't help but read them, and then I'm so pissed I have to reply, but I stay angry for days over the fact they always want the Aspie partner to change to suit their needs, but never does it cross their mind that maybe it's not fair to demand that one changes in order to accommodate the other'd whimsical demands? Sorry for the rant. Like I said, they make me very angry.

This is exactly how they make me feel too.

I concur, we have many threads through out the site the have some valuable information regarding cross-Neurology dating and relationships. It’s not about never dating, it’s about actually being in the relationship.

- cloaked or dark
- mysterious
- intelligent

- expect him to change

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

I'm living the last paragraph you wrote. My married life is a nightmare and I have no idea what to do... However outside my married life, my life is actually reasonably good. Sure there are people who don't understand my weirdness because they don't know I am ASD, or maybe not even know enough about it to figure anything out...

My wife however is a different story. She knows all about it and was/still is furious over my diagnosis. She refuses to accept that I cant change to be who she demands I have to be for her. My once allowed loyal, cute, goofy, shy guy personality went out the door with her when that ring went on her hand. I have put up with this for a long time now. I put up with it for her, more than me.

She has always refused to become anything. She hates anything that doesn't encircle her being served in some way. If I walk away... I will be seen as the most unthinkable monster in all of history. She already does a good job of making me look stupid, but it crushes me to know that at this point she hates me. I'm just a free ride through life at this point, and she just takes what she can from it, while spewing her hate toward me over it. Beyond that I truly think she actually likes being angry. She says I messed her life up.

So yes, I truly think women pick guys like us because they see, or think we can be manipulated into what they need us to be... I don't think guys do that as much. I couldn't imagine myself demanding anyone (including my wife) changing to fit my needs. Not ever. I would never reach into the core of a person and demand that changes be made down deep in their being. I am intelligent enough to know thats probably not going to happen, and if it did... That wouldn't even be who you fell in love with.

Good analysis Kiegan : )

I stay out of those threads mostly.

I've been in "I want you to change" relationships and they suck, especially if your undiagnosed and you try to change.

I would suspect, though, that a lot of men would be more accepting of quirks.

The biggest "flaw" my neurotic girlfriends saw in me was a lack of romance, which seems pretty common.

Most men I know would not see that as a bad thing.

Also too much time in self driven pursuits, especially video games.

Most men I know would be in love by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom