• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I often get frustrated with people who are giving instructions or teaching me something.

Ihaveaspergers

I often get frustrated with people who are giving instructions or teaching me something.
My personal views of this is: they always want to meet halfways or think I am better at something than I am.
I don't always get frustrated

How is this an aspies issue? How does this relate to aspergers'?
I talked to a professional about this. He said that "nornal" people ussually do not want anything else than meeting halfways. Is ths your experience as well?
"Normal" people are disordered as well!

I don’t really see how being taught or instructed relates to meeting someone halfway. They seem like two different things to me.

Many times, we are better than we think we are. And just recently, my husband proved his point that I am better than I think I am.

It comes down to how we view ourselves. I surprise myself many times, with things I thought I could not do, but end up doing very well.

Yes, "normal" people are not normal at all. We all have our struggles as imperfect human beings, but the difference is that we are slightly less not normal lol

Maybe for what someone if teaching you, see if you can find videos on it online to learn whatever it is you need to learn.

Think that people explain things the way they want it explained to them. They also have done things a thousand years and can't understand why you don't get it in 5 mins, then get frustrated with you. I have that type to deal with today.

Such dynamics have always frustrated me. Particularly later in life when I surmised that not everyone has a gift for conveying what they know (or think they know) to others.

When I was selected as a corporate trainer in insurance because I was good at it.

I don't have an issue with people teaching me — in fact I like it. What I do not like is when this teaching is not as much as teaching, as it is imposed someone's will upon other people behavior. I think this is what we all have probably encountered at some point, when someone else's tells us how we should be as a person.

"You don't learn" is often "you don't fit my prejudices".

Such dynamics have always frustrated me. Particularly later in life when I surmised that not everyone has a gift for conveying what they know (or think they know) to others.

When I was selected as a corporate trainer in insurance because I was good at it.

When I worked for Cat, I was good at technical jobs. I figured out problems that others could not. The service manager hired a new, young technician and had him ride in my service truck with me. The idea was that I was supposed train him. This is when I found out the difference between knowing something and explaining it to someone else. Lucky for me, he was a very intelligent young man and caught on easily. He rode with me for two years and claims he learned a lot from me. I don't know about that, but I kind of liked having him around because I made him drive.

Learning things is enjoyable for me, but I prefer to do it by watching a video or reading something due to this. I don't understand vague descriptions and missing steps in instructions. Even if something is common sense I still need it retold to me, because if someone doesn't incIude it as a step I'll just assume it's not one and get confused and frustrated.

I don't know if this is ASD or just me being dense. Both of my parents have ASD traits and my dad has Asperger's, yet they still get angry at me for not understanding things the way other people explain them. They also get aggressive if I explain things since they say I'm insinuating that they're stupid, as I carefully lay out all the details due to needing that done for me.

"meet halfways" usually refers to a compromise. The lack of compromise is why the world is falling apart.

Two groups have a differing view of how to handle an issue. By refusing to meet half-way it guarentees nothing will be done. If one side wins an election they just try to force their way down the other group's throat. Still no half-way meeting and it guarentees the losing side will become hate filled for the winning side and will do anything they can to reverse it.

If we are to survive, we need more "meeting halfways."

New Threads

Top Bottom