• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need to quit my job

Triad531

I have been so anxious at my job I need to quit and somehow get in with a therapist. No one takes lunch at work, I never get alone time. I need to focus on my mental health. I've burned all my bridges in the past so this will just be another one. Maybe I will be homeless someday but I need to focus on my mental health now and exercise, breathe.

I contemplated quitting a job, a few months, ago. I had been there for four years, but, I had experienced a profound loss, which ultimately, lead to panic attacks, and respectively, being fired. If you have the ability, and don't want to lose your job, but, prefer to recuperate, you could, perhaps, take a disability leave of absence. I wasn't aware I could do that, until it was too late/prior to being fired. Definitely, see a psychologist/therapist. They could help you through the process of taking a leave of absence, if preferable, in addition to helping you manage anxiety.

Edit: On, the other hand, quitting a job can be the healthiest decision, particularly, if staying at your job would make it impossible to manage your anxiety.

Best wishes to you!

Last edited:
I can also defenetly relate to this desition as i was also forced to leave my job and accept permanent disability its NOT easy nor fun to have to take this desition but i agree with you 101 % on this BUT do look in to what Loren have said dear & other possible help youre entitled to in youre country.

Last edited:
Nearly 3 and half years ago I was forced to quit a very good voluntary job with the local Police force in Rotherham, due to rising transport costs as discussed before on here.

I enquired last year about going back, and the way they teach the kids has changed to an extent there's no longer the demand for volunteers, that and the price of the transport has gone up considerably.

No lunch? Is it possible they're breaking labor laws? Where I am, we can't work 5 hours or longer without a break.

I used to go to the bathroom when I needed some alone time! Everyone thought I had some kind of digestive problem...lol

Working is both an honor and a privilege, even though it does not always feel like that.

I lost the ability to work for some time and I had to fight hard to be able to work again.

Temporary disability is better than permanent, permanent disability is better than suiciding over work.

Tread carefully.

Can you financially afford to quit? If so, I would say go for it. Put in a notice so you leave on good terms and walk away. I recently did exactly that and couldn’t be happier about my reduced stress levels.

If you can’t afford to quit then take the advice above. Don’t replace work stress with financial stress. But start looking for a less stressful job. Remember that you don’t owe your employer anything beyond the hours you have already worked.

I can relate but have not got the choice of quitting my job. Finding a new one has not been fruitful and the career advisor I saw saidI should try to stick it out because employment options are poor for someone like me.

If you haven't, and you're definitely diagnosed, have you asked for any reasonable adjustments? They honestly can make a world of difference. I wish you all the best with whatever way you deal with your situation.

Thank you all for the kind replies. I started at accounting firm at beginning of October because that is only job I could get. I worked at a firm for 5 years before this and got fired. I went back to school to be a music teacher for a year but then stopped because everyone told me I won’t be able to get a job. I did that because music is something I care about and am confident about. I have to work on social skills somehow.

This is a time when accounting firm expects you to work nonstop. I don’t get along with anyone at work. It literally feels like prison and I feel like there is no time to care for my mental or physical health. I am constantly carpooling to places out of town and never have time to even call a doctor because there is no where to call in private and Doctor is closed by the time I finally get home. I have to decide if I’m going to quit this weekend if I want to go back to school because classes start on the 22nd. I am worried I won’t be able to get even a minimum wage job. I could survive for a little bit will need to use retirement funds.

Whatever you decide i wish you AL the luck dear .What i can ad is this NO job is worth youre life of suffering

Thank you all for the kind replies. I started at accounting firm at beginning of October because that is only job I could get. I worked at a firm for 5 years before this and got fired. I went back to school to be a music teacher for a year but then stopped because everyone told me I won’t be able to get a job. I did that because music is something I care about and am confident about. I have to work on social skills somehow.

This is a time when accounting firm expects you to work nonstop. I don’t get along with anyone at work. It literally feels like prison and I feel like there is no time to care for my mental or physical health. I am constantly carpooling to places out of town and never have time to even call a doctor because there is no where to call in private and Doctor is closed by the time I finally get home. I have to decide if I’m going to quit this weekend if I want to go back to school because classes start on the 22nd. I am worried I won’t be able to get even a minimum wage job. I could survive for a little bit will need to use retirement funds.

I'm a music teacher! Why wouldn't you be able to get a job?

New Threads

Top Bottom