• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need some advice (tiny work-related issue)

Siegfried Wolfram

Well, hi everybody, this is about a tiny work-related issue I've been having and I find it hard to figure out what to do.

The situation is the following: I am working from home since last year, and the company I work at we've been having regular Skype meetings about work. I write stuff for work - mainly phone related articles kinda thing - but then I have a problem I want to ask about. A concrete issue about the thing I should write and I deem important to have a clear answer. And then my boss goes and repeats what he assumed was my question, which totally wasn't. First question - is it possible I wasn't clear enough in my question or he just doesn't get it? I tried my hardest to make it clear but...

Then, second question: do I just repeat my question (having the entire team listen to me on the meeting trying to make my point and sweating of embarrassment), do I address the question with the boss after the meeting (but that will seem like I didn't listen to him or something?), or do I ask someone else about it (a colleague maybe, but what if he doesn't know), or I just go with what I decided the answer was supposed to be?? Have you had anything like that happen to you? What did you decide to do?

Until now, it seems I was feeling too awkward to ask again, I'm afraid I may sound stupid or something. But the boss clearly did not get the question and did not have an answer for it at all!

Sorry, if that's confusing. But I'm sincerely confused myself. I didn't even understand the answer my boss gave me, feels like I didn't even hear it. I never repeat questions unless they're related to something medical. What does everybody think I should do? Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
It's possible the boss doesn't know the answer and is just blathering on to cover that. Bosses don't always know what they want.

If it's a style or form of writing matter check what was done by whoever held the job before you and maybe go with that style or content? You can't keep asking the boss if he doesn't know, run it past a colleague maybe, but they're not always helpful.

It's possible the boss doesn't know the answer and is just blathering on to cover that. Bosses don't always know what they want.

If it's a style or form of writing matter check what was done by whoever held the job before you and maybe go with that style or content? You can't keep asking the boss if he doesn't know, run it past a colleague maybe, but they're not always helpful.
Haha I didn't think of the option of him not knowing the answer :D thanks for the advice!

We have this mantra at work,..."When in doubt, always ask a clarifying question." It was even placed as a PSA poster in the elevators at work. I work in a hospital,...this is very important when lives are held in the balance. However, I would think this is a good approach for anyone, especially in the workplace,...and especially when dealing with the communication and social issues that often accompany autism.

I am constantly asking for someone to reword a question, comment, request, or order,...I don't even give it a second thought anymore. I will often repeat what they say, as well, so that they know, that I know what they said. Every person is a little bit different in how they approach their communication. I also work with the "United Nations" of staff members,...different accents, different customs, etc.,...so one cannot assume what was said meant one thing or another. Just clarify the communication.

I also know that when people do not ask for clarification from me, they can end up doing the wrong thing, we can stumble over each other when working closely together, etc. I know I can have moments when I am stressed, that I have a tendency to "shut down" my communication,...which is just the opposite of what needs to happen in those moments. I just have to be very consciously aware of myself and my team.

We have this mantra at work,..."When in doubt, always ask a clarifying question." It was even placed as a PSA poster in the elevators at work. I work in a hospital,...this is very important when lives are held in the balance. However, I would think this is a good approach for anyone, especially in the workplace,...and especially when dealing with the communication and social issues that often accompany autism.

I am constantly asking for someone to reword a question, comment, request, or order,...I don't even give it a second thought anymore. I will often repeat what they say, as well, so that they know, that I know what they said. Every person is a little bit different in how they approach their communication. I also work with the "United Nations" of staff members,...different accents, different customs, etc.,...so one cannot assume what was said meant one thing or another. Just clarify the communication.

I also know that when people do not ask for clarification from me, they can end up doing the wrong thing, we can stumble over each other when working closely together, etc. I know I can have moments when I am stressed, that I have a tendency to "shut down" my communication,...which is just the opposite of what needs to happen in those moments. I just have to be very consciously aware of myself and my team.

Thanks! I guess I have to work on myself to not feel embarrassed if I have to repeat, or ask for rewording, or continue asking until I get the answer that I understand. That seems hard though... but maybe I can get used to it. For some reason, I never hesitate to ask until its clear when the question is related to anything concerning health, but when it's work I am somehow embarrassed of asking a second time.

I wouldn't outright repeat in an email/text. You should re-word. It's a good idea to ask other colleague(s) first to help you with a re-word too. In the mean time, get done what you can or at least have something even if it's not (totally) correct. Better to show effort and something rather than have nothing to work with at all.

Well, hi everybody, this is about a tiny work-related issue I've been having and I find it hard to figure out what to do.

The situation is the following: I am working from home since last year, and the company I work at we've been having regular Skype meetings about work. I write stuff for work - mainly phone related articles kinda thing - but then I have a problem I want to ask about. A concrete issue about the thing I should write and I deem important to have a clear answer. And then my boss goes and repeats what he assumed was my question, which totally wasn't. First question - is it possible I wasn't clear enough in my question or he just doesn't get it? I tried my hardest to make it clear but...

Then, second question: do I just repeat my question (having the entire team listen to me on the meeting trying to make my point and sweating of embarrassment), do I address the question with the boss after the meeting (but that will seem like I didn't listen to him or something?), or do I ask someone else about it (a colleague maybe, but what if he doesn't know), or I just go with what I decided the answer was supposed to be?? Have you had anything like that happen to you? What did you decide to do?

Until now, it seems I was feeling too awkward to ask again, I'm afraid I may sound stupid or something. But the boss clearly did not get the question and did not have an answer for it at all!

Sorry, if that's confusing. But I'm sincerely confused myself. I didn't even understand the answer my boss gave me, feels like I didn't even hear it. I never repeat questions unless they're related to something medical. What does everybody think I should do? Thanks for reading!
Um thats not really clear to me. I always give credit when its believable, also i apologize for how stupid other ppl are(dont say it like that). It may be treachery or malice, dont understand. Thanks for being supportive and kind

There is no shame in asking questions, the shame is when you don't and make a mistake because of it. Ask a coworker if you are hesitant to ask your boss. If they can't answer, go back to your boss in a private setting and be honest.

New Threads

Top Bottom