• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I miss my childhood so much it hurts. Suggestions on how to cope please.

Samuel

I'm on my summer vacation right now and in about a month i'll be going into my Junior year of high school. Not only that, but in less than two months i'll be turning 18 years old which will officially mark the end of my childhood.

I recently posted a thread on childlike behavior in people with aspergers because i've always had childlike characteristics myself, but now that i'm about to be an adult i've realized how fast my childhood all went by, and it's been causing me a lot of emotional pain latley.

I just feel like i grew up way too fast and i didn't make the most of my childhood but then again no one really does because when we're children we focus too much on all the things we'll be able to do when we're older, and then when we do grow up we realize how much it really sucks.

I've been crying at least once a day for the past 4 days because i keep longing to go back to the times when my life was much more carefree and fun, and if i could i would probably choose to stay a child forever. I'm not really afraid of death but i'm absolutely terrified of the thought of adult life and growing old.

Anyway, could someone please give me some suggestions on how to cope with missing my childhood so much? I would talk about this with my parents but i feel embarrassed about telling them so this is really the only option i have right now. Thank you for your help.

You are going to become an adult and grow old whether you like it or not. So you might as well start focusing on where you are in time, when you are in time. Happier that way.

I don't miss my childhood at all.

But I understand that you miss it. I'm glad you had a good childhood.

I believe it's good to use your good memories when you feel down.

at 18 you are still a child, no matter what the law says, so enjoy today
I know that even when i become an adult i can still remain a child at heart for the rest of my life if i want to, i'm just not prepared to handle the trials and responsibilities of adult life.

I recall wanting to be an adult during my childhood. I wanted to make my own decisions, plus I hated being told what to do. I believe if I hadn't been an Aspie I might have enjoyed my childhood.

Now I worry about ageism, in addition to being on the spectrum.

I wish I learned a long time to live in the moment, I spent too much time in my life looking towards the future, And you miss moments that way.

Also be very glad you have good childhood memories and was carefree. In my childhood, I had fear more like terror from kindergarten till 7th grade

Perhaps, like many of us here we've taken the things we love from childhood and integrated them into our adult lives. Cycle most days, and loved bicycling when I was a child as it afforded me so much freedom. Draw and paint and dig up fossils, all things I've continued from childhood. They make me happy and content. Are there things that make you happy when you do them? That you've done since you were little? Maybe you should consider those and take them with you into adulthood.

Last edited:
i'm just not prepared to handle the trials and responsibilities of adult life.
My adult side has to do all of the "heavy lifting," but I keep my child side on hand for problem-solving which [he?] sees as puzzles to be solved.

If you have ever played an RPG, adult life is the real-life version of that.
full

If you enjoy things that some people might consider "childish", then as long as it's not harming anyone go ahead and do them, it really doesn't matter what others say. I believe a lot of adults would love to do childish things including both autistic and NT people and the only reason most don't is because they're told they shouldn't and they worry about what others might think of them for it. Well I really don't care, I love playing video games, mainly RPGs, but especially JRPGs and they're obviously designed mostly for teenagers since virtually all the main characters are meant to be that age, but I still enjoy playing them and I'm 48 years old.

I am a few years older than you, but I'm still mostly seen as a child. Most of my college colleagues are the same. Whatever the law says, 18 doesn't make you an adult. You'll grow up and learn in your own time. You're still young. People won't expect you to be really mature until well after your twenties. You have time. Enjoy your high school. Don't let it pull you down.

I tried and failed at being adult, but by the time I was in my mid twenties both my parents had died and I needed to be self sufficient. Luckily I was able to find employment in my interest areas, which kept me feeling young while being responsible enough to be independent. I'm also very cheap, so it's easy to save money.

One thing that kept me close to my childhood has been being creative, doing art projects or just playing with legos.

I also miss my childhood, though it's long gone now, but if you keep yourself from taking on too much responsibility, adulthood isn't so bad.

Strive to remain looking forward. Looking backwards at this stage of your life will not serve you.

You might find yourself with more responsibilities, but there's no law that says you have to grow up. I'm nearly 40 and I still enjoy the things that were good about my childhood (video games, cartoons, giant bags of candy, etc.)

I know that even when i become an adult i can still remain a child at heart for the rest of my life if i want to, i'm just not prepared to handle the trials and responsibilities of adult life.
I can understand that, it can definitely be easy to live childhood without having too many worries and things seem a lot worse at first with adulthood. You have to mentally prepare yourself though. I didn't and that led to disaster in college, you have to understand that things are going to be different and you have to adapt and become stronger! :)

It’s a gradual process to grow up. NO ONE is prepared, even at age 20, or 22, sometimes decades later. Your life is NOT going to completely change over night, next week or even in a year or two. You are obsessing over a silly number- 18 like you will wake up and all of a sudden have difficult adult responsibilities and challenges. It’s not like this! Experience, wisdom, and taking in life’s challenges take time...often a lifetime. I am still “growing up, and I turn 62 in a few weeks! I am still learning what the heck “adults” are supposed to be doing and how to live responsibly.

If you enjoy things that some people might consider "childish", then as long as it's not harming anyone go ahead and do them, it really doesn't matter what others say.
I really do wish i enjoy my childish hobbies without worrying about being judged but i've had a hard time not caring about what other people think for as long as i can remember. I'm obviously not hurting anyone by acting childlike but it's just hard to not think about what other people think about me.

I really do wish i enjoy my childish hobbies without worrying about being judged but i've had a hard time not caring about what other people think for as long as i can remember. I'm obviously not hurting anyone by acting childlike but it's just hard to not think about what other people think about me.

Now I am just curious- what hobbies specially do you mean? Has anyone ever made fun of you for your hobbies before? Or has a parent/ adult critisicised you for being “childish” in the past?

New Threads

Top Bottom