• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I might have ASD - and I don't know what to make of it

Trophonius

Hello. I've lurked this forums anonymously for the past weeks until I registered days ago. I'm not entirely sure how to make an introduction for myself, because I believe a brief intro will not be as complete as I wish, and a long will likely go unread. So here's two intros for you:

#1 Brief version
I considered the possibility of being on the spectrum 12 years ago while I was in high school. Not having a proper understanding of it, I think I had, then and in the years that followed, a sort of hollywood-romantic idea of it.

I forgot about until lately, when I started seeing a psychologist due to my social anxiety. During our second or third session she told me I might be in the autistic spectrum. Now, two months later since starting therapy, she told me she's pretty sure and wants to give me some questionnaires, which she will next week.

Now, I don't know exactly what to make of all this, or what to do with the diagnoses.

#2 Long version - if you are REALLY bored
Since I've started to seriously consider the possibility of being somewhere in the ASD, I'm doing my best to remember elements of my childhood that could give me some answers.
This is some characteristics about me I've been thinking of
1. Not having any social behavior. This applied when I was a child, and barely had a few friends in my 27 years. I haven't had friends since age 16.
2. Also no girlfriend, not even close, ever.
3. Apparently my parents had to " fight " with me to change my clothes when I was a child (for example didn't want to use summer clothes after being used to winter clothes).
4. I've been having problems to carry social interactions. Now, being fairly old, I cannot avoid some social situations and I don't know how to behave.
5. According to my psychologist, I have "limited" interests, though I disagree since they are not that limited.
6. My voice sucks, I'm pretty sure I speak like a robot, in a soft and almost inaudible voice, and very fast.
7. Not sure, but I in the past months I realized I rarely look at the eyes of a person when they speak, and focus on the mouth for whatever reason. I'm consciously trying to change this.

BUT against the ASD hypothesis I consider
1. I don't have problems with sarcasm.
2. I did play pretending games as a kid (age 9, 10 and 11).
3. Didn't collect more things that my peers.
4. Not sure if anything I liked could be considered a special interest.

I don't feel good about this. If it turns out that I am not on the spectrum, I know I will be disappointed; but if I am, I will find myself more alone because I feel I don't exactly fit with ASD-people either.

Hi Trophonius

welcome to af.png

Hello. I've lurked this forums anonymously for the past weeks until I registered days ago. I'm not entirely sure how to make an introduction for myself, because I believe a brief intro will not be as complete as I wish, and a long will likely go unread. So here's two intros for you:

#1 Brief version
I considered the possibility of being on the spectrum 12 years ago while I was in high school. Not having a proper understanding of it, I think I had, then and in the years that followed, a sort of hollywood-romantic idea of it.

I forgot about until lately, when I started seeing a psychologist due to my social anxiety. During our second or third session she told me I might be in the autistic spectrum. Now, two months later since starting therapy, she told me she's pretty sure and wants to give me some questionnaires, which she will next week.

Now, I don't know exactly what to make of all this, or what to do with the diagnoses.

#2 Long version - if you are REALLY bored
Since I've started to seriously consider the possibility of being somewhere in the ASD, I'm doing my best to remember elements of my childhood that could give me some answers.
This is some characteristics about me I've been thinking of
1. Not having any social behavior. This applied when I was a child, and barely had a few friends in my 27 years. I haven't had friends since age 16.
2. Also no girlfriend, not even close, ever.
3. Apparently my parents had to " fight " with me to change my clothes when I was a child (for example didn't want to use summer clothes after being used to winter clothes).
4. I've been having problems to carry social interactions. Now, being fairly old, I cannot avoid some social situations and I don't know how to behave.
5. According to my psychologist, I have "limited" interests, though I disagree since they are not that limited.
6. My voice sucks, I'm pretty sure I speak like a robot, in a soft and almost inaudible voice, and very fast.
7. Not sure, but I in the past months I realized I rarely look at the eyes of a person when they speak, and focus on the mouth for whatever reason. I'm consciously trying to change this.

BUT against the ASD hypothesis I consider
1. I don't have problems with sarcasm.
2. I did play pretending games as a kid (age 9, 10 and 11).
3. Didn't collect more things that my peers.
4. Not sure if anything I liked could be considered a special interest.

I don't feel good about this. If it turns out that I am not on the spectrum, I know I will be disappointed; but if I am, I will find myself more alone because I feel I don't exactly fit with ASD-people either.
Although none of us are able to confirm that you are or aren't on the autism spectrum, it is also important to note that you aren't required to have all of the traits to be there.

I relate . As for fitting in. You are your own person. Speak when you want or dont. Add to the threads or just read them. Everyone on here is their own person. With their own opinions and ideas.
I have aspergers or high functing autism officially diagnosed.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Our very own @Autistamatic has his own youtube channel (under the same name) and has fairly insightful videos relating to ASD.

One such is what to do after getting a diagnosis, which is here:

Welcome. Exactly why it is a spectrum, some people are on it stronger than others and have different characteristics. You don't have to be full-on with everything.

My opinion, whether or not you are officially on the spectrum is not as important as figuring out the best resources to deal with the person that you are. This forum has great resources for me and has many people I can relate to.

You don't have to tick all the boxes of traits to be on the spectrum. You might have some traits and not others. Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations. You have passed the first level for entry. Our representatives will send you an application form, and assign you a heroic task to complete.

...kidding.

You don’t have to be autistic or be diagnosed to benefit from this forum. There are a lot of good discussions here and the members are very open and welcoming. Read, discuss, ask questions - I hope you find this forum as welcoming and useful as I have.

Hi Trophonius,
as you I am completely new in the forum. Just jump two or thee posts up, and you will find me. I am in the same situation as you: i am not neurotypically and as you I do not know in which kind of "box" doctors would like to put me. But I do not bother. You might need an official paper if you want to receive certain medications or money from the state or maybe they give you a paper that allows you to park your car where the guys in the wheelchair park usually. (The last one was sarcastic, as you pointed out to have no problems with ist. ;) I hope to hurt nobodys feelings. ;) )

No the point is: Everybody is special, everybody is different somehow, but it is much more easy to handle the "cases" if so called "illnesses" have file-numbers. If you ask me (as a non-psycatrist): that does not make any sense. So try to live with the "disadvantages" of ADS (concentration, organizing daily life...) try to balance it (sports, yoga, whatever...) and enjoy the advantagtes of a so called problem: Fast decisions, possibility of combining things nobody ever thought of, strength in crisis and so on. And dont try to be a "really 100% ADS". Nobody is perfect. ;) Not even in ADS. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom