• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I May Be in The Wrong Section But I’m Curious…..

Chameleon In Recovery

V.I.P Member
I have consistently been the most inconsistent person I know. Granted , this could be due to a lifetime of masking or the untreated ADD… but I’m curious : How many of you are consistent with your routines and goals every day? I keep reading how us autistics NEED & love routine. While I’m extraordinarily disappointed when I can’t follow through on things, I can’t seem to last more than a couple of months with a steady goal or routine. Sometimes only days lol. I definitely feel like less of a failure when I do things each day .. for example: my intention is to make my bed & open my blinds every morning right when I wake up ..plus some others) but some days I can’t even make my bed or open the blinds. & yes it does throw off my whole program. I do this with special interests as well. The only thing I have done consistent every day of the year is feed and care for my cat lol.
Maybe that’s the point ? I wonder if I take autistic traits & keypoints a little too literally. Curious how it is for you guys so I can get some perspective.

PS- you all make me so happy. Thank you for accepting me here. I admire so many of you already & think you’re cool AF. Keep being you.

Last edited:
Nah, I thrive on sheer chaos. I envy those with a routine, honestly.
haha I love that . “Sheer chaos”
Like you, I also envy those ppl! So I wonder if I’m misunderstanding the statement of autistics needing and loving routine or if it’s different for some ?
For me, it seems I either NAIL it at adulting or I have piles of laundry and haven’t grocery shopped in weeks. The contrast is a bit much lol.

I admit to thriving best when I have regular routines, but if they get too regular that also becomes a problem. Mass boredom. I tend to do whatever I feel like doing when I feel like doing it. Probably more importantly, IF I feel like doing it. But I do have a lifetime of micro-routines. When I do things I tend to always do them in exactly the same way.

I surprise a lot of friends though, they say I'm one of the few people they've met that does exactly what he says he's going to do. When I get an idea in my head I tend to run with it. I like to play, I live for new toys, new experiences.

Like my holiday idea, I'm now thinking I'll do the Flinders Ranges and the Murray River in the one trip, about 2000 km after a bit of meandering here and there. Take a whole heap of photos that'll keep me editing for a month. :)

I fall in and out of things, including chores, etc. Routine is great but life is so chaotic so l just try to accomplish what l can.

I admit to thriving best when I have regular routines, but if they get too regular that also becomes a problem. Mass boredom. I tend to do whatever I feel like doing when I feel like doing it. Probably more importantly, IF I feel like doing it. But I do have a lifetime of micro-routines. When I do things I tend to always do them in exactly the same way.

I surprise a lot of friends though, they say I'm one of the few people they've met that does exactly what he says he's going to do. When I get an idea in my head I tend to run with it. I like to play, I live for new toys, new experiences.

Like my holiday idea, I'm now thinking I'll do the Flinders Ranges and the Murray River in the one trip, about 2000 km after a bit of meandering here and there. Take a whole heap of photos that'll keep me editing for a month. :)
Sounds incredible ! Do you travel on your own?
When you talk about your routine and thriving in one (me too btw) does that mean you can keep it consistently every day and the only reason you no longer do it is because you’re bored of it and want to change it ? I also prefer to do what I want in that moment but know routine helps me have structure- so maybe I need to look at things a little differently . I just wish I was a little more consistent lol. I can’t handle full time jobs either .. I’m a star employee for 3-6 months then I burn out and have to take a sick leave. I get disappointed in my self . But also feel 9-5 M-F jobs are a special type of paid prison haha. So that could be another influence

I fall in and out of things, including chores, etc. Routine is great but life is so chaotic so l just try to accomplish what l can.
That’s a great way to handle and perceive it. “Do what you can” I like that.

Reminds me of one of the four agreements “Always do your best. No more, No less”
Maybe I should read that book again ! Seems I may need a refresher

Attachments

• F4CEDC8B-ACF2-40EB-BAB1-A86D366633A8.jpeg
    F4CEDC8B-ACF2-40EB-BAB1-A86D366633A8.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 53
I’m a star employee for 3-6 months then I burn out and have to take a sick leave.

You just described me. I was an Offset Printer, a physical trade where skill counted more than anything else and so I was able to change jobs at will. And I did, often. Because of this I was able to move around the country a fair bit too, living in places instead of just going for a holiday. I've had a great life.

I have always preferred travelling on my own, but if a place truly amazes me I'll take friends back there later on to show it to them.

WOW NO WAY ! Okay - my first “career” I would work in a department for 3 months , and move to a new department - more money.. upgraded skills. Till I plateaued and left completely. I moved to China and lived there to teach English.. I also do spokesmodeling on a freelance basis which has had me travelling around & theyre short contracts so I can travel, make money, and I don’t get bored and don’t have to see the same ppl ever again if I don’t want to! (I never want to hahah) I also prefer to travel alone. It’s so cool seeing how similar we can be and all the overlaps . Blows my mind .
I’ve never heard of Offset Printer as a job. I’ll look this up to cure my curiosity.

Almost an extinct trade now, except as a niche market. I used to print letterheads, business cards, sales brochures, etc. The advent of the home computer made the trade defunct.

there is a Offset Printer Operator job posting in my city for 40$ an hour.
And the person they end up employing will get $50/hour, skill counts.

I had a good boss once ask me if I thought he was a good boss. I said "Put it this way Kev, there's plenty of people I've worked for for 2 weeks.".

And the person they end up employing will get $50/hour, skill counts.
Wicked! Can I get a crash course ? I’ll apply .
Haha jk

I had a good boss once ask me if I thought he was a good boss. I said "Put it this way Kev, there's plenty of people I've worked for for 2 weeks.".

Hahaha that’s funny. It would be tough not to laugh but it’s also a compliment. It’s great when you have a good boss .

Last edited:
Somewhere in these forums I wrote a story about him, I'll find it again shortly. The best boss I ever had and the longest job I ever held in my life. He died though. Such is life.

I'll find it again shortly.
Found it:

Post #4 if your browser doesn't take you straight to it.

Last edited:
I keep reading how us autistics NEED & love routine.

I definitely have routines and rituals I love, but some fade and I enjoy the change to new rituals. I think many of mine have to do with using less brain power and making life easier. So I make dinner about the same time each day, or pack the same thing every day for lunch (and have for years). But, that also helps me feel refreshed enough to learn new things or be spontaneous in other ways.

I've also had people comment on how I watch the same shows or read the same books repeatedly. But, if you're detail-oriented, then those experiences always feel new, and not repetitive. Also, I'm putting together a deeper understanding by experiencing all those details. But, the observer doesn't understand this.

I try to keep in mind that all the language of Autism comes from people describing what they don't experience directly. My rituals aren't rigid to me, they're necessary and enjoyable. We're described as having rigid need for routine because the people observing this don't understand or enjoy what we're doing. The desire many NTs have for small talk and social rituals is just as rigid and routine-like to me, but that's because they feel forced. I don't enjoy them--at least not the same way they do.

My day is not rigidly planned, but routine duties are once I start them. I usually make oatmeal for myself & my daughter. Once I have the run of the kitchen, the "oatmeal" project has a pretty standard sequence (or I run the risk of missing a step, like handing out vitamins).

Job = wake at the same time, wash and dress, leave the house at a similar time, drive the same route and arrive at workplace similar time.
See same faces, chat with same people.
Only the work and lunch break may vary.

The above seems pretty routine to me :)

New Threads

Top Bottom