• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I made a video to talk at you a bit...

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
...but perhaps not in quite the way you might expect.

Obviously I am on the spectrum after all... so I've no intention of doing this the normal way. I mean, it has certainly occurred to me that I *could* use a webcam to record, and chatter at you that way, but... I dont want to do that. Recording myself IRL? Yeah, how about not. I dont like that idea, I find it distressing.

I guess that's just another aspect of the autism thing for me. For those of you who do make videos where you show yourself when talking... well you've got a better ability to handle this than I do.

But also some of this is... self-expression, I guess?

Anyway. This is the first time I've done this sort of thing. So many of you have seen me post on here and I've been on this forum for a long time... I'd had the idea of a "greeting" video for quite awhile but I never had a mic... until now.

So, why not do said video, but also share one of my special interests with you? I'll do it in VR! I'd love to show you some darned cool stuff.

Now, a quick disclaimer: I think a few of you may find yourself a bit surprised at my voice. Those who refer to me as "she" and such, particularly. I'm non-binary, I've mentioned this before, and frankly even IRL I still look like a girl these days (and so often get referred to as "she" by random people, at least until I speak anyway), so "she" or even "they" is just fine by me. Whatever.

That out of the way, let's get to the part where I rant a lot and show stuff:

It's a bit long, but... well, I hope it's entertaining enough. I do my best here. I wonder if my personality comes off any different when talking vocally instead of through text? I dunno.

I talk about some stuff, show tons of neat stuff, make odd noises, and so on.

I might do more videos like this later... there's tons of really cool things I'd love to share this way. But making one of these is a bit difficult, so just one will do for now. I had a good time making it though.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll do more like these. But I'll put them on my blog instead... so if you want to see them, that's where to go. I'll try to make them not suck.

Last edited:
I love this! Never saw anything like this before (and didn't get to watch all of it yet), but what I've seen so far is super funny and entertaining. And the strange environment and odd things that pop up somehow just make sense for us (autistics) -- at least in my opinion, they do. Somehow it all fits. I've really enjoyed what I saw so far, and I look forward to watching the rest later, be laughing myself silly again. Thanks for sharing!

This video is really cool. :) Thanks!
I would love VR (except the pixel room). It looks like a lot of fun.

By the way, I never imagined your voice, so it wasn't disconcerting in the least! You are you. Easy enough. :)

Last edited:
Neat! I'm going kayaking today, but I'm totally going to watch this when I get home! :)

It was good to hear “you.”
Made me think again how I very much like hearing people without the social stress of interacting in real life. I think Simon & others have posted their voices here or links to recordings. Anyway that first place with the ocean outside was my favorite. Nice to do this with being able to skip the public world.That is what I wish I could do to this town; walk around with all the other people temporarily removed.

VR is so very different from what I imagined it would be- thanks so much for this treat. It was nice to hear you after reading you for several years. I agree with what Shamar said- nothing you might do would surprise me because you are so creative and talented. Keep it up!

That was cool. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't ever looked at VRChat. Usually I just play a bit of BeatSaber in VR.
I think this would probably make me sick though. I get sick more from the forward motion than I do from turning. Even watching you play for a while was starting to make me feel ill.

Quick addition:

I thought I'd show a small clip just to give an idea of just how chaotic VR can get, in sharp contrast to the calm nature of the original video.

I've been using VR for years and have never come across anything more intense than this one.

Do not watch if you're sensitive to flashing lights. And good luck even tracking what's going on. Dont worry, this is a very short one, no commentary, it's just a clip.

That was cool. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't ever looked at VRChat. Usually I just play a bit of BeatSaber in VR.
I think this would probably make me sick though. I get sick more from the forward motion than I do from turning. Even watching you play for a while was starting to make me feel ill.

Yeah, that's the problem with VR. Though, it is possible to get over it, although a bit difficult and time consuming. I'd known about the issue before even getting the thing the first time, so my plan was pretty simple: in the arcade program I use (which is what I bought the entire thing for) you can teleport, or move smoothly. So I'd go into this one hallway, and the idea was to just slide forward, and the very instant I started to feel anything odd, I'd stop and go back to teleporting. Very first time I did it, I nearly fell over. Over time it worked though and I can handle anything for any amount of time at this point. I'm convinced that anyone can master it, BUT, it does have to be done just right. Done incorrectly it'll only make things worse.

VR is so very different from what I imagined it would be- thanks so much for this treat.

The crazy thing is, it's actually still different from even what you're seeing there.

The thing about VR is that it *cant* be replicated in a video. It's impossible. All you're seeing is a flat representation of it on a 2D screen. Which is not what I see when in it.

As anyone familiar with VR will tell you, there's no way to know what it's REALLY like without putting that headset on yourself... it outright cannot be conveyed any other way. That incorrect approximation is the best that can be done without doing that.

The effect is intense enough that parts of your brain genuinely have a hard time discerning it from reality at first... this is where the side effects come from. It's also why there are so many hilarious clips of VR fails on Youtube, such as someone trying to sit down on a chair that isnt real, or outright sprinting into a doorway that does not exist (AKA, a wall. This ends exactly as you'd expect).

Aside from that, VR can be used for pretty much anything. It's all up to the creativity and skill of the developers. Shoot zombies, pilot a spaceship, have a swordfight with pirates, or just wander a calm forest... or heck, just go into a physics sandbox and throw things around just because. I only allow new users to try out the super calm stuff though, and no smooth movement. Gotta do it right when starting out.

I intend on showing more stuff, as there's lots to share, but I'll likely post those on my blog rather than keep making topics like this.

and would not be surprised at anything you did or said.

Well now that sounds like a challenge to me.

Thank you for the snapshot of your world and interests - while it's not really something I can see myself getting into, it does seem quite interesting and you're always so passionate about it, so glad that you're sharing that. :)

Intensity reminds me of either going through a worm hole in space OR what it would feel like to
be a pinball.
What ever it is, I love the colours.

From watching the video, I'm going to say downloads in excess of a gig are the bane of your existence.

"TODAY! TODAY!!!" indeed...

New Threads

Top Bottom