• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I lost a friend today, But. . .

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
Hate it when people don't want to be your friend anymore only cause you don't get along with one of their other friends.

(His other friend I avoid is referenced here: thinking about how to handle this emotionally charged situation )

It's like I have to allow myself to be a second class citizen to continue to be friends with so and so.

Like I'm slightly mad, but probably more glad.

I feel like a social burden has been lifted off my shoulders.

Good riddance!

Last edited:
This is tough. You have a right to your boundaries. Sometimes people or so called friends gang up on others to break boundaries then try to act you are the one with the problem when you say whoa, slow the merry-go-around down, l am off this ride.

Cliques do play people. I am super sensitive to people doubling up on me with some random weirdness. At this point , the minute two people are telling me something, my brain is already firing away the randomness of two people telling me the same thing.

I can relate to your experience. I also feel as a 2nd class person in my friends group.

I don't feel this way with most of the friends I have. The ones I do, I tend to spend less time with.

If you feel that way now with all your friends, try to explore more avenues to build better friendships with new people. I wish you the best.

Sorry that you lost a friend. It is tough when people play each other against each other. Everyone loses.

I just lost another friend today, but this one was a good friend. It feels weird cause we had a lot in common. He's going through a lot, I'm sure. It still hurts that this is the result. I can't sense when he needs space and when he doesn't but I always ask if he's free and try to be aware of his nuances. I would've been there for him as much as possible, and I'm sure he knows that. I know it's "not my job" to know how he's feeling when I don't even have access to anything to communicate with him besides text most of the time because that is just how he is. I just deleted all his contacts without blocking him so that I wouldn't have to think about him anymore. It's an excuse.

Last edited:
I don't feel this way with most of the friends I have. The ones I do, I tend to spend less time with.

Excellent strategy - go with the positive energy - reduce what is negative to you. :)

Friends come and go - some, however, will go the distance.

And since we can only fit a finite number of people into our personal circle, it's not a bad thing to weed it out like a garden occasionally, to make more space for flowers. :hibiscus::sunflower::cherryblossom::rose::tulip::octopus:

I just lost another friend today, but this one was a good friend. It feels weird cause we had a lot in common. He's going through a lot, I'm sure. It still hurts that this is the result. I can't sense when he needs space and when he doesn't but I always ask if he's free and try to be aware of his nuances. I would've been there for him as much as possible, and I'm sure he knows that. I know it's "not my job" to know how he's feeling when I don't even have access to anything to communicate with him besides text most of the time because that is just how he is. I just deleted all his contacts without blocking him so that I wouldn't have to think about him anymore. It's an excuse. I don't know for sure, but sometimes I feel like I'm "not a certain race enough" to be some people's friends even though I wouldn't trade my identity just for the hell of it.

Sometimes people need a lot of space and time to sort something, and you may find you still have that friend when they come back out of their retreat. :)

If you feel that way now with all your friends, try to explore more avenues to build better friendships with new people. I wish you the best.
Thank you very much. I actually moved from Spain to Mexico City, married and had a daugther. :D

So you can say that I followed your advice with some anticipation. :)

It was so kind of you.

Keeping or maintaining relationship was never my strongpoint.

And as far as friends go, my longest and best friend was sociopath (I suspect, something of that nature..) who I grew up with and who was wildly unpredictable and untrustworthy.

So I might have a bit of a strange attitude to other people...

And as far as friends go, my longest and best friend was sociopath (I suspect, something of that nature..) who I grew up with and who was wildly unpredictable and untrustworthy.

So I might have a bit of a strange attitude to other people...

So with a friend like that in your formative years, statistically things should be getting better... ;)

Perhaps the friend was an application of the idea that the devil has the best music?

It was more like friend(s). I had a few normal friends but most of my formative influences were not too good. If you run with devils, you cannot be an angel. The slightest sign of weakness, would be mercilessly taken advantage of. :sweatsmile: It amuses me thinking about but....yeah I had a very messed up childhood.

:neutral: But then... there's a A lot of subdued anger. (Thinking about my former friends, certain types, circumstances.) I think I might have been traumatized. Like I suppose most here were. Nothing unusual.

:neutral: But then... there's a A lot of subdued anger. (Thinking about my former friends, certain types, circumstances.) I think I might have been traumatized. Like I suppose most here were. Nothing unusual.

The thing about getting a lot of BS - and I discovered this later - is that it's excellent for growing flowers in. :sunflower:

Lots of BS, and it led to so many flowers... :rose::tulip::blossom::hibiscus::sunflower::hibiscus::cherryblossom:

But you do have to grieve, I think - to unlock the maximum potential from all that BS.

I don't grieve, (For petty interpersonal problems.) I block things out of life. And if I do grieve, it's for dead loved ones.

Yes, You must experience great pain, the lowest lows, to know what the highest highs are. Pain is a great teacher and motivator.

You know, @Slim Jim, I used to only be able to grieve for others, never for myself. And inside me there was this tiny black hole just hovering at the edge of my consciousness. I had a Great Wall of China in my mind that I had no idea existed, behind which I had shoved all the dark things that happened in my childhood, because that is how children survive trauma when they can't process it with anyone. And all the footage in my head of terrible things from my childhood was silent, and I felt numb when it played in my head. I could see it all, but I felt nothing. And I felt the most important thing was just to live well in spite of all of that, and not to be causing hell to others. For what had happened, I felt nothing - a big yawning chasm.

Until my early 40s. Cue vivid flashback nightmares, this time with all the sound turned up and with the same terrifying feelings I had felt when I was little, that my brain had stored up for all those years. Well, that got my attention. Then I was diagnosed with complex PTSD. Wow. Emotions are also data - and it's amazing what my own brain had held back. The thing is, I needed those emotions - so that I could grieve for the little girl that these things had happened to, who had had to deal with all of these things alone, with not a soul to breathe a word to. Because otherwise there would be hell to pay.

And I needed to feel those emotions, so that I could be more integrated. So I spent half a year working part-time, feeling these feelings, processing the flood of flashbacks, thinking about everything so differently, with the missing information restored. I was lucky I had the breathing space to do it - we were on our smallholding by then, and we had enough to eat and pay the bills. I suspect if the breathing space hadn't been there, those emotions would still be dammed up behind the Great Wall of China.

What I learnt was that the little child I had been was as important as any other little child, who if you or I were to see in her despair, we would come to the aid of. And since nobody did, in those moments, I had to go back and be there for that little girl, in retrospect, in those moments. Like travelling down the Pensieve.

And I can't tell you the difference that made...it was the biggest revelation in my life. It shook things up like you wouldn't believe. I am no longer divided, and what I understood from that helps me to live better.

I think I could visualize as a kid, but that all went away. Yeah, I know about CPTSD, I have trapped emotions. I've managed to let some out, but I still feel like A volcano, I may be calm and serene for large stretches of time, but Underneath, there are magma chambers, tectonic plate shifts.

Numbness, yeah, either that or extreme anger, or extreme sadness, or extreme Joy. I can cycle through emotions pretty rapidly. It's funny just when you think you've conquered emotional reactions, they have a weird way of finding their way back into your system. I can think analytically, when I'm healthy, calm, but stress or psychically illness can sometimes disrupt that. And it's like I revert back to a 12 year old, emotionally.

FYI: I have never seen a psychiatrist, psychologist or anything. :sweatsmile: ...And I don't want to...not inclined to.

That underneath stuff sounds very familiar to me. You take good care of yourself, @Slim Jim. And I didn't see anyone but my GP after that diagnosis; I DIYd stuff and self-educated and wrote tons of material for or about emotional health. It doesn't necessarily have to be conventional...

....although I did on occasion through my earlier life see some mental/emotional health professionals, in a scattergun way because money was limited and I was moving around a lot, and some of them were actually really helpful. But mostly all that was DIY for me, using resources written by insightful people - and that included music. ;)

Sorry about the interruption, @paloftoon. Now returning everyone to the scheduled programme: Loss of friends.

New Threads

Top Bottom