• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I keep making these sounds and noises

invisibility003

V.I.P Member
Hello,

Well, I'm not sure if I've put this post into the right place - sorry if I've done it wrong!

I have Asperger's and I keep making these sounds and noises, sort of like an angry cat (even if I'm not angry), which vary depending on the situation and the noises around me and where I am and what I'm feeling. I'm not sure how to describe it, it's sort of hard. You will probably think I'm weird and crazy. :(:cryingcat:Maybe I'll put some examples below.

Example 1: (This happened yesterday) At school and it's the Yr 12 graduation celebration. The Yr 12s are running down the aisle and everyone in the seats around me is screaming screaming screaming and music is blasting. IT IS SO LOUD. (I am getting stressed even thinking about it! :fearscream:)

Sound I make: MRRRRRAHHH. CKKKKK. (Raises hand and swipes it at the person in front of me like an angry cat without touching them).

Example 2: (Happened about a month ago) I'm in the GP's waiting room and I'm about to be getting weighed. I am very nervous, because I hate being weighed.

Sound 1: Eh uh eh uh. Eh uh eh uh. (Sort of a cross between a cat and a crow and who knows what else)

Sound 2: Mrrrrahh. Ckkkk. Mrrrrahhh. Ckkk. (Swipes hand)

*Repeats Sound 1 and Sound 2 until doctor calls me in*. People in waiting room staring at me like I'm crazy. (Well I am, aren't I?!) :astonished:

I'm not sure. I know it's not normal. People really stare at me whenever I do anything like that and half the time I can't control it. The other times, I just do it because I like the sound and solidness and it is very satisfying, or it just makes me feel better. I have read about stims and tics and stuff like that in people with autism. Maybe it is like that.

I was just wondering whether anyone else does anything like that, makes noises or actions or anything when they are stressed or angry or sad or lonely or happy or excited like I do??

Sorry, this is probably a bit of a weird post :astonished::weary:
Jessie

I have a bit of a tic disorder too. It's okay, but stress and triggers can exacerbate it. I don't know if there's a marked difference between tics/tourettes and stimming.

Maybe General Autism Discussion is a more appropriate forum. Only a moderator can move the thread.

I think what you describe could be vocal stimming.
I found two other threads about vocal stimming from the forums, though they are rather specific:
  • Loud stimmer
    This is a short thread about whistling as a stim.
  • vocal stims
    This thread focuses on verbal stims (including echolalia) as a subcategory of vocal stims.
Different forms of vocal stims are also explained in the following video:

I was just wondering whether anyone else does anything like that, makes noises or actions or anything when they are stressed or angry or sad or lonely or happy or excited like I do??
As it is probably obvious from the sources I provided you aren't the only one who does something like this.
I sometimes stim vocally, too.

I don't know if there's a marked difference between tics/tourettes and stimming.
As far as I know there is a difference.
I found some articles about it, for example this one: Autism and Tic Disorders
The following link includes a table listing differences between tics and stimming (it focuses on motor stereotypies though): A Guide to Childhood Motor Stereotypies, Tic Disorders and the Tourette Spectrum for the Primary Care Practitioner

Here's a video from someone who talks about the difference from personal experience:

Last edited:
Yup. My kid does this and I kinda picked up on it as well.

Moowww???? Mooww.

It's weird and we know it o_O

Probably because human vocal language isn't natural to autistic neurology where as animal sounds mean more

New Threads

Top Bottom