• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I just want to write music and poetry.

nervous habits

I want to save some face, but make no effort.
I've always been a good technical writer, and I can write very clear and well-worded emails and reports. I would say I've got an above average vocabulary.

Imagination when it comes to creative writing, poetry, and lyrics has NEVER come easily to me.... or even remotely accessible. I could make up a rough story line, but I can't find a way to fill in the details and embellish and make it exciting to read.

Similarly, when I go to write music and poetry about my feelings (I've got tons of those), I cannot even begin. I write so plainly. There is a hole in my heart, I miss you, I'm tired of trying... all things that I mean, but I cannot find a way to make them sound poetic.

I've listened to so many songs that I wish I wrote.

I don't even know how I can improve this. Is my difficulty in writing this way due to autism?

I'd guess no. Not due to autism. It's just not a natural skill/talent for you. You can still improve it probably via practice and study.

Like this? Sun streaked sky sparkling red ray who pierce darkness.
Not mocking. Just asking.:cool:

I’m a musician and an artist but I’m also terrible at poetry and lyrics.
Your posts remind me a lot of me :)

Creative writing doesn't have a direct correlation to autism, but certain traits such as concise communication do stem from the neurotype. Many autistic writers excel at technical writing, but can struggle with the more organic creative side of things. This is a very common issue.

Practice and study help, but like with music, some innate skill also helps. One of the best ways to learn and improve. Critique some poetry or lyrics you like. Really think about why you like it.

Is it the language, a certain cadence, an image, etc.

I do okay with figuring out why things work and don't, but beyond that I'm as creative as grass.

Last edited:
Have you studied the theory behind each of them? Or studied them at all other than just trying to do it? There is a lot of technicality to both crafts, and the more you learn, the easier it should come to you.

Creative writing doesn't have a direct correlation to autism, but certain traits such as concise communication do stem from the neurotype. Many autistic writers excel at technical writing, but can struggle with the more organic creative side of things. This is a very common issue.

Practice and study help, but like with music, some innate skill also helps. One of the best ways to learn and improve. Critique some poetry or lyrics you like. Really think about why you like it.

Is it the language, a certain cadence, an image, etc.

I do okay with figuring out why things work and don't, but beyond that I'm as creative as grass.

I read somewhere recently that autism can cause issues with imagination, specifically in writing creating stories, for example. I do remember having this issue in school.

I am definitely a natural musician. I play many instruments, and can teach myself.

I suppose I should study more poetry... but I don't know exactly what I am looking for lol.

Have you studied the theory behind each of them? Or studied them at all other than just trying to do it? There is a lot of technicality to both crafts, and the more you learn, the easier it should come to you.

What should I study? It feels like something that should come naturally, but I could definitely be wrong about that. Like when you learn physics, you learn the laws, and the formulas. I can do that. But what are the laws and formulas for creative writing?

There is a lot of theory on how to do the thing. But from a learner's perspective, the way poetry is taught is illogical. Most school systems start with iambs, sonnets, and rhyme scheme. Each a tool in its own right and can be daunting to novice poets.

Start with fewer elements in play. Blank verse internet poetry is surprisingly good for this. Read it consider what you are thinking and why. Get comfortable with the basics and then start with the tools.

Mary Oliver's Handbook of Poetry is well worth a read and (don't laugh) Poetry for Dummies is another great resource. Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled is excellent for the more classic forms and techincal elements, although there is a typo in his triolet pattern...

As to laws of creative writing. There are no right or wrong ways to write, but if you become too ridged with the process it can stagnate.

There is a lot of theory on how to do the thing. But from a learner's perspective, the way poetry is taught is illogical. Most school systems start with iambs, sonnets, and rhyme scheme. Each a tool in its own right and can be daunting to novice poets.

Start with fewer elements in play. Blank verse internet poetry is surprisingly good for this. Read it consider what you are thinking and why. Get comfortable with the basics and then start with the tools.

Mary Oliver's Handbook of Poetry is well worth a read and (don't laugh) Poetry for Dummies is another great resource. Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled is excellent for the more classic forms and techincal elements, although there is a typo in his triolet pattern...
Thanks! I do love the "for dummies" books, I actually bought one yesterday on neuroscience.

I remember learning rhyming schemes in 3rd grade and thinking how stupid! I hated writing in school. Ironically it was my highest SAT score.

Thanks! I do love the "for dummies" books, I actually bought one yesterday on neuroscience.

I remember learning rhyming schemes in 3rd grade and thinking how stupid! I hated writing in school. Ironically it was my highest SAT score.

Word to the wise on rhyme. Do not use it unless the scheme is going to be consistent, adds to the tone of the piece, and supports the structure.

Bad rhyme habits have made more than one poet sound like a rabid Dr. Seuss. It is the most misused tool in poetry. In this day and age, better to leave it off. Forced rhyme is stilted writing. Classic forms are a great way to learn how to do it properly.

Bad rhyme habits have made more than one poet sound like a rabid Dr. Seuss.
This conjured a hilarious mental image lol.
A lot of modern rappers sound like a rabid Dr. Seuss too. But with less imagination and more foaming at the mouth.

Word to the wise on rhyme. Do not use it unless the scheme is going to be consistent, adds to the tone of the piece, and supports the structure.

Bad rhyme habits have made more than one poet sound like a rabid Dr. Seuss. It is the most misused tool in poetry. In this day and age, better to leave it off. Forced rhyme is stilted writing. Classic forms are a great way to learn how to do it properly.
I'm not huge on rhymes. But a good one is very satisfying.

Rhyming in poetry has always seemed silly to me in poetry. I do like it in rap music though.

I'm not huge on rhymes. But a good one is very satisfying.

Rhyming in poetry has always seemed silly to me in poetry. I do like it in rap music though.
Rap music, when it's done well, can sound very intelligent, honestly.
But you have to sift through all the silly stuff that's out there first to find it lol

Rap music, when it's done well, can sound very intelligent, honestly.
But you have to sift through all the silly stuff that's out there first to find it lol

Tonally rap is an overload trigger for me, but I love rhymed poetry, especially some of the older classic forms like villanelle, terza rima, tercet, quatrain, quatren, pantoum....sonnets like hotdish are evil. (Sorry, rabbit hole. Blame Lollop.)

For most kinds of writing you will nowadays find some amazing blogs and guidance on the internet. Take a look. Sign up to a couple or more that resonate with you. You can learn a lot that way, I have found, especially as we tend to often like to use self help texts to learn from in our own spaces.

I agree with @Fino that you do actually need to study, as for any art or craft. Tons of tips out there, free or cheap. Google something like poetry blogs, writers blogs, how to write poetry, etc. I've so enjoyed learning in this way, and the ongoing blogs or tutorials/ guidance feel supportive. I find workshops Too much, personally.

And people often don't know how to critique or help usefully, though some do, but it's a lottery and can be discouraging. However I went to many over the years. Not that useful, except if friendly and supportive as well as perceptive. A closed group can work better. But some of the writing is so poor even from experienced participants. Where to start? It gets boring trying to be tactful. :fearscream: But one must of course... :sweatsmile:

Yeah, like that.

Well I had little imagination in the beginning. I was told as much. I read and have for a long time. You pick up things like words and ideas. It expands your understanding. Including imagination. I write too. Have for many years. So practice is involved. Poetry is the same. It's about finding the rythmn of the rhyme.

Voices three. Say in twine. Of wizards bound on high.

For most kinds of writing you will nowadays find some amazing blogs and guidance on the internet. Take a look. Sign up to a couple or more that resonate with you. You can learn a lot that way, I have found, especially as we tend to often like to use self help texts to learn from in our own spaces.

I agree with @Fino that you do actually need to study, as for any art or craft. Tons of tips out there, free or cheap. Google something like poetry blogs, writers blogs, how to write poetry, etc. I've so enjoyed learning in this way, and the ongoing blogs or tutorials/ guidance feel supportive. I find workshops Too much, personally.

And people often don't know how to critique or help usefully, though some do, but it's a lottery and can be discouraging. However I went to many over the years. Not that useful, except if friendly and supportive as well as perceptive. A closed group can work better. But some of the writing is so poor even from experienced participants. Where to start? It gets boring trying to be tactful. :fearscream: But one must of course... :sweatsmile:

Learning to critique effectively hones technical writing, it also helps with diplomatic communication, and teaches one how to be objective when delivering ciritque be it good, bad, or a mixed bag. The key is to keep it focused on the work itself, never the author.

@Wolfy Smurf

Put down the rhyme down until you read the instructions on how to use it. (Seriously not a tool that should be considered until more basic elements jive.) Bad rhyme is the number one most common call on novice poetry writers.

It warps structure, is usually forced, and generally serves no workable purpose except to resistrict flow and language trying to fit word A into slot Q. If a poem is propped up by bad rhyme, chances are that is all the structure there. Poke it too hard and the whole piece comes down.

Rhythm, enjambment, word choice, (which does extend to NOT dumping the thesaurus on the page and overwriting), imagery, these are all basics that need to be worked with before rhyme. For those with musical inclinations and skill, rhythm is a very good place to start.

New Threads

Top Bottom