• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have to work for the next five days and I'm going non-verbal; how do I get around this?

Zakle

I honestly don't want to even type this (kind of want to delete it) but I don't know what to do for the next five days. I need to speak to get the things I need for work and the thought of doing that right now makes me want to cry. And I know I'll just end up stimming a lot at work.

Hello Zakle.

Welcome to Autism Forums. It might be helpful to know what your work is. Are you working in manual labor, office work, teaching, the trades, or what sort of occupation.
What are the things that trigger your nonverbal moments.
We might all be able to help more if we could get to know you a bit better. I know it's difficult but pretend you are journaling and maybe it will work better for you as far as speaking to us on here, then you may have more help for later.

Hello Zakle.

Welcome to Autism Forums. It might be helpful to know what your work is. Are you working in manual labor, office work, teaching, the trades, or what sort of occupation.
What are the things that trigger your nonverbal moments.
We might all be able to help more if we could get to know you a bit better. I know it's difficult but pretend you are journaling and maybe it will work better for you as far as speaking to us on here, then you may have more help for later.

Sorry! I'm a cart attendant at Walmart so I bring in the carts from outside. I was alright at the start of the day but I had to go to my place of work to pick up my check from orientation (I felt overwhelmed by the people, the lights, the items, and the noise); I'm always in the front, outside, and I don't have to deal with anyone much due to me being the only cart attendant for five hours.

We were also given polo shirts of which the fabric has been really bothering me.

Other than that, I'm also a mod in a Discord server and ended up doing quite a bit today (adding several requested emojis, two requested color roles, updating the autoroles/bot, and confronting an admin about a secret alt of which they gave me the roundabout and eventually ghosted me on).

It sounds like a job with some advantages, if you can just do it alone for your 5 hour shift? How is it going for you in that way, is it OK?

Can you substitute the shirt for one that's not uncomfortable? Maybe similar colour? Can you email them, like to say, fabric of shirt gave me eczema, am wearing own T shirt of same colour, maybe? Do you have a badge too? That may help, they tend to want you to be identifiable as a worker.

Hope you feel better soon, starting a job can be quite a challenge, sounds like you are doing ok so far, despite feeling stressed.

Oh boy. Try wearing a lightweight tank shirt underneath. Or wash it on a real long cycle. New clothes are often treated with dyes and things and can feel and smell weird. So a couple of washes may help.

Not talking at a job can be a challenge. Smile alot, nod your head a lot. This might get you thru. Smile, because eventually your shift will end. But Walmart is place l hate shopping due to the amount of people. Good luck. Congrats on having jobs.

Sorry! I'm a cart attendant at Walmart so I bring in the carts from outside. I was alright at the start of the day but I had to go to my place of work to pick up my check from orientation (I felt overwhelmed by the people, the lights, the items, and the noise); I'm always in the front, outside, and I don't have to deal with anyone much due to me being the only cart attendant for five hours.

We were also given polo shirts of which the fabric has been really bothering me.

Other than that, I'm also a mod in a Discord server and ended up doing quite a bit today (adding several requested emojis, two requested color roles, updating the autoroles/bot, and confronting an admin about a secret alt of which they gave me the roundabout and eventually ghosted me on).

This gives a great deal of context.

I understand Discord has a lot of subjective, personal value to a lot of people, and in your first post here you seem like the type of person (if I was profiling) who would put a lot of time in on Discord. Try finding a different mod for the server or cutting back; money is important and it is not like people are going to be "Aha! you ran a Discord server. Here, run my business." I had a Discord account for less than 48 hours. In that time I saw a hostile takeover attempt on a server, decided to attempt a raid on another with a few friends & sockpuppet accounts, nearly became a mod of the other server, had to reverse some Wikipedia vandalism, and decided to delete my account and go get a life.

Walmart is overwhelming for a lot of people, but remember--you'll have to approach this with a positive attitude. The other commenters are right: wear an undershirt for the polo shirt. I hate the fabric on a lot of new-fashioned clothes as well. Undershirts are your friend. Also, for the bright lights--wear blue-light blocking glasses if you don't already, and a visor or cap to cut off the flashing effect of walking under overhead electric lights. I do not like electric light very much.

Bringing in carts is an excuse for noise-canceling headphones but there's the danger of not being able to hear cars in the parking lot.

One other thing, you won't have to talk much as a cart attendant at Walmart.

New Threads

Top Bottom