• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have to repeat a lot of things I've said

Sara3

Hello. I just realized that people around me forget about the things we had previously agreed on or the things we talked about. For example, I feel NTs (family, friends) do not fully understand when I express what I feel and how I see the world, because they forget our conversations. So I have to talk/call/write again to remind them. I honestly don't like to be constantly approaching other people to repeat things over and over again. They know I am asperger but they still have no idea about it despite of my efforts. Honestly, I don't even want to talk to them, so I just "walked away". They still don't seem to get how someone can experience things like hyperfocus, constant anxiety, repetitive behavior or misunderstanding peoples' intentions. Have you ever experienced something like this?

Well, people often don't fully hear or integrate messages from NTs too, and they have to be repeated. So why should you be any different? Be patient and forgiving, although it is okay to mention that you've covered the same ground before.

Umm they make me feel sad sometimes. Members of my family have been rude. I don't think I would feel like that if they were gentle. My sister yelled at me in public instead of being patient... Just because she didn't like the fact that I had to learn many things about social interactions...

Also a woman I know doesn't believe I am asperger because I told her it meant I was on the autistic spectrum. She said to me that maybe the psychologist was wrong. I am highly aware that I appear as a normal girl and maybe that is what is causing these troubles. It just makes me very sad.

Umm they make me feel sad sometimes. Members of my family have been rude. I don't think I would feel like that if they were gentle. My sister yelled at me in public instead of being patient... Just because she didn't like the fact that I had to learn many things about social interactions...

Sadly a great many NTs appear to default to expecting or demanding that everyone conform to how they interact with others. That the idea that other humans can be truly Neurodiverse just doesn't seem to register with them. Worse still, a mistaken presumption that "can't means won't". :(

It's sadly common that people play armchair psychiatrist and tell you that you can't possibly be autistic, because obviously they know more about autism than either autistic people themselves or trained professionals :rolleyes: It's very frustrating. I've been told, "if you are autistic, you can't be very autistic", as if that means anything at all.

It's sadly common that people play armchair psychiatrist and tell you that you can't possibly be autistic, because obviously they know more about autism than either autistic people themselves or trained professionals :rolleyes: It's very frustrating. I've been told, "if you are autistic, you can't be very autistic", as if that means anything at all.
"You can't be very autistic" that sounds very rude. I think what bothers me is that their expectations about how we should react is not realistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom