• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have to have 3 teeth extracted Thursday (6/6). Ow.

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
I went through a period where I really didn't care much about hygiene in general, including my teeth. That lasted for a LONG time. So now I have caps on most of my teeth. My dentist told me that now I have three teeth that are rotted so badly she can't do anything more for them, and they will have to be extracted. The appointment is June 6. Then she will put temporary caps on the wounds so they don't get infected, and I go back in 12 weeks to have the implant screws installed. Then another 12 weeks before I can get the implant caps. The lag time is for the bone to heal.

So, I will likely be in bed for a week with unbearable mouth pain. Fortunately, the pain should subside greatly after that. For pain doctors/dentists in the US now recommend combining ibuprofen and acetaminophen (US brand names Motrin/Aleve and Tylenol, respectively) instead of opioids/opium derivatives because people get hooked too easily on opioids and people went in for root canals and extractions and wound up hopeless gutter junkies within a few months. So I have two big bottles of ibuprofen and acetaminophen (one each) on hand.

The dentist was apparently a raver girl in her youth and she plays 90s rave music as she works, and I'm one of the few patients she has who loves her music. She keeps MP3 players with nature sounds and soft music at the ready because few of her patients want to hear hardcore 90s techno while they're getting their teeth worked on. (She's in a really wealthy area and a lot of her patients come from wealthy families and her music doesn't sit well with such "refined" elites.) So yeah, that's a positive, since it's rare to hear rave music anywhere nowadays.

So, liquid diet for a week, along with horrible pain.

I've never had implant screws (plan on getting one this year though), so I don't know what kind of pain that involves. But I've had several teeth extracted, and it was so easy. I had 5 at once when I had my wisdoms out. Then 2 at once last year. Both times I didn't even need pain meds afterwards, I felt great. Hopefully it goes that well for you. They do have to put me out completely due to a gag reflex more severe than most anybody.

About 10 years ago. I had to get an implant for one of my molders. The original tooth got a microscopic fissure crack in it and it cause a massive abscess to grow inside the bone under the tooth. It took them 5 months to finally get it all finish.

I had 3 teeth extracted, due to acid erosion ( due to acid reflux) and the person who removed them, was so harsh, that he has caused some teeth to be misaligned.

I did not have a lot of pain; it was more mental pain.

As for the music. Oh wow, I wish she was my dentist. I would EAGERLY go and get dentary care lol

I use tooth paste without floride.

I've had a tooth extracted and have had 2 root canals in the past. I didn't need any pain meds after the procedures even though the dentist/orthodontist gave me prescriptions for some heavy duty drugs. I didn't even fill the prescriptions and took Tylenol only the first night to help me sleep. You probably won't need any pain meds, either, but you have them ready in case you do.

But you are going to need some soups, stews, and other soft foods such as baked or mashed potatoes, eggs, mac & cheese, etc.for several days.

Good luck today!

Your dentist sounds really cool.

When I worked at a nursing home years ago, they would alternate the pills like that but it was tylenol and aspirin then.

First pills A. When next dose was due, pills B. Anecdotal only, it did seem to work. I do that with Aleve and Tylenol now.

Actually, tomorrow, Thursday. It's Wednesday here right now.

Oops. My bad! I hope all goes well with the procedures you need tomorrow and thereafter. Dental work is always scarier in my mind than it is in reality, and there is no reason whatsoever, in today's advanced dental world, for you to have pain so take pain meds as needed. Let us know how it goes. ;)

The problem with pain is not the procedure itself, but after the anasthetic wears off. My teeth and surrounding area has always been sensitive, even when I was a little kid. I never could eat ice cream when I was a kid because the cold would drive my mouth crazy and I'd have a meltdown from the pain. When I had my root canals I was out for 4 or 5 days from the agony, yes the endodontist was one of the best in the city but I still had agonizing pain afterwards. It wasn't him, it was me.

When my current dentist drilled away part of another tooth last year in a last ditch attempt to save it, I had to wait in the office for her to make the crown and during that time the anasthetic wore off and suddenly I was in agonizing pain and they didn't have any pain pills anywhere since like everybody here has said modern dentistry is not that painful for most people. So everybody emptied their purses and somebody found a single Tylenol pill, and that helped until I could get home. Tomorrow I am bringing pain pills with me.

I've had lots of dental work, I tend to semi-dissociate during the procedure itself so it goes by really fast, but like I said it's after the anasthetic wears off that the trouble starts.

Well, I've been home for a few hours and the anasthetic is gone, and the front tooth area is fine. But the back teeth area has a LOT of soft tissue soreness, and a problem with bleeding that the front one doesn't. Turns out that the "caps" the dentist mentioned were just the gauze rolls she used to stop the bleeding. I took the gauze out when I got home and eventually dozed off. When I woke up I thought my pillow and face were wet from drooling, since I sometimes drool when I'm asleep. Then I realized that the "drool" was blood! :eek::eek: I put one of the small pieces of dental gauze I was given on it and it was soaked within minutes. My tongue must have knocked the scabs loose as I slept. I dug around and finally found some old extra large gauze pads I've had for ages, wadded one up, and shoved it in my mouth. I've had it in my mouth for about an hour as of now. The agonizing pain I expected didn't happen, but the back area is really sore and inflamed. I'll likely be home until Sunday or Monday and on a mostly liquid diet until the soreness and bleeding subsides. Then on the 20th I go in for a CT scan so the dentist knows how to approach the implants. It only took her about 30 minutes to snap the teeth out. She needed the x-rays on her computer screen, so no music.

New Threads

Top Bottom