• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have never done this before...

James45

James
Hi, I am new to this forum indeed any forum but thought it maybe useful to me.

I was diagnosed as being on the spectrum last year at 45 years old, I have a history of trauma as well. Basically I am very confused as to which is causing what symptom, I keep getting severly depressed (and have done for a very long time) and I am starting to feel very isolated, mainly by my choices as the stress of social interactions generally outweighs the benefits. Also I am regularly disconnected and feel in a bubble.

I really am not sure why I am writing this or how it will benefit others or myself...but there you go...hello.

7b55b3019df4cbf5247400557bc74a3f.png

Welcome, write away. There is some comfort in that many have struggled with similar issues. I thought that I overcame my social isolation and loneliness as a teen and young adult, only to have the previously suppressed emotional memories return in CPTSD, decades later. I hope I will be able to write coherently as I progress in therapy for that. This is what this forum is good at.

Last edited:
Hi James,
You are not alone. I haven't been officially diagnosed but I beleive I am on the spectrum too. Like you I also have a history of trauma. It was my search for answers that led me to discovering that I might be on the spectrum.

I also want to seperate my aspie traits from my trauma. But I think it is like the question "which came first the chicken or the egg". My aspie traits may very well have created some of the trauma I feel simply because my aspie mind could not comprehend some events that were mearly ordinary to a neurotypical. I may never know a definate answer.

Welcome to Autisim Forums. This is a great place to explore the questions that keep you up at night. The people here are a friendly, compassionate bunch. You will like them and the forum very much!

Hi and welcome, seems like you've come to the right place, plenty here will understand some of what you are experiencing, it sounds tough. Hopefully here you can hang out and get more of a feel in the discussions for what autism effects others experience, though we are all different to an extent.

Autism itself can be traumatising, trying to understand the world when our perception is different from neurotypical others. But like you, many here have experienced other trauma too. This sounds really challenging for you, but hopefully being here with others will be useful and supportive.

:bee::blossom::beetle::hibiscus::herb::dragon::mapleleaf:

Hi James, also a history of trauma and a bit older than you. I just got here couple month ago and it’s helped me knowing I wasn’t alone in this. Well, that there are people like me that think like this too.

We’re the few smart “normal” people in the world and everyone else is screwed up so glad you found us! :shortcake::coffee:

Have some cake and coffee :)

Hi James,
You are not alone. I haven't been officially diagnosed but I beleive I am on the spectrum too. Like you I also have a history of trauma. It was my search for answers that led me to discovering that I might be on the spectrum.

I also want to seperate my aspie traits from my trauma. But I think it is like the question "which came first the chicken or the egg". My aspie traits may very well have created some of the trauma I feel simply because my aspie mind could not comprehend some events that were mearly ordinary to a neurotypical. I may never know a definate answer.

Welcome to Autisim Forums. This is a great place to explore the questions that keep you up at night. The people here are a friendly, compassionate bunch. You will like them and the forum very much!
Thank you Suzette, much appreciated

Hi and welcome, seems like you've come to the right place, plenty here will understand some of what you are experiencing, it sounds tough. Hopefully here you can hang out and get more of a feel in the discussions for what autism effects others experience, though we are all different to an extent.

Autism itself can be traumatising, trying to understand the world when our perception is different from neurotypical others. But like you, many here have experienced other trauma too. This sounds really challenging for you, but hopefully being here with others will be useful and supportive.

:bee::blossom::beetle::hibiscus::herb::dragon::mapleleaf:
Thank you...

Welcome to the forums @James45 !

Writing about how you feel helps get it out and not kept internalized.
And it will help you see how you relate to others and many will find they relate to what you say.
Glad you joined us. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom