• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have developed a fear of driving

AngelWings17

Does anyone else have experience with this?

I used to like driving, but when I took Driver's Ed, I started to get really nervous after the first driving session. Now I am paranoid whenever I get behind the wheel, and I don't hear anyone when they're trying to give me instructions.

And just for the record, I've been driving since I was 15 1/2. That's 7 total years behind the wheel and I've been getting worse and worse each time I drive.

Have you tried driving with google maps providing directions, not exactly driving instructions but it is a voice in the car with you to ensure that you find your way.

In the insurance industry, we have a term for this. It's called "inexperienced operator".

The reality is that you should be nervous about driving until you're more experienced. Uncomfortable perhaps emotionally, but being extra vigilant and cautious will serve most anyone while on the road behind the wheel.

Hang in there. And keep driving. It will get better in time.

Have you tried driving with google maps providing directions, not exactly driving instructions but it is a voice in the car with you to ensure that you find your way.
I've only driven to a location myself once. And it doesn't matter if there's background noise, I'm still a nervous wreck.

I've been driving for far longer than my boyfriend, and he's better than I am.

In the insurance industry, we have a term for this. It's called "inexperienced operator".

The reality is that you should be nervous about driving until you're more experienced. Uncomfortable perhaps emotionally, but being extra vigilant and cautious will serve most anyone while on the road behind the wheel.

Hang in there. It will get better in time.
Like I said, I'm a paranoid, nervous wreck. I cannot drive without absolutely freaking out.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

I used to like driving, but when I took Driver's Ed, I started to get really nervous after the first driving session. Now I am paranoid whenever I get behind the wheel, and I don't hear anyone when they're trying to give me instructions.

And just for the record, I've been driving since I was 15 1/2. That's 7 total years behind the wheel and I've been getting worse and worse each time I drive.
i don't have a fear of driving and im not paranoid of driving i actualy like and enjoy driving and im trying to become a better driver each and every day :)

Like I said, I'm a paranoid, nervous wreck. I cannot drive without absolutely freaking out.

In driver's ed I can recall a couple of kids who could fit that description. But that in time- and experience they got better. Look at this way. No matter how much it bothers you, each time you get behind the wheel and stick it out, you'll improve. The important thing is not to give up.

In driver's ed I can recall a couple of kids who could fit that description. But that in time- and experience they got better. Look at this way. No matter how much it bothers you, each time you get behind the wheel and stick it out, you'll improve. The important thing is not to give up.
I was perfectly fine with driving when I first started. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. Then I got into driver's ed and it got progressively worse to the point where I dread every driving session I do. the creep of a "driving instructor" that I had is a major cause of what made my paranoia happen. As a survivor of sexual assault, I did not appreciate him touching me in the manner that he did.

Driving is intense and the more stupid and mean people I encounter on the roads the more freaked out I get. I make a point to never ever look at the other people (the actual people not the cars) driving. People go insane when they drive because they can get away with it, I can't count how many people have attacked me for no reason.

the creep of a "driving instructor" that I had is a major cause of what made my paranoia happen. As a survivor of sexual assault, I did not appreciate him touching me in the manner that he did.

Oh my. That's something VERY different. A trigger perhaps for post traumatic stress. That really has little or nothing with driving itself.

Driving is intense and the more stupid and mean people I encounter on the roads the more freaked out I get. I make a point to never ever look at the other people (the actual people not the cars) driving. People go insane when they drive because they can get away with it, I can't count how many people have attacked me for no reason.
I've been on the main roads a number of times, but most of those times, I wasn't even the one in control of the wheel. My "instructor" took control when I was on the road during every driving lesson. The only good thing about that class was the videos and getting my Driver's manual. The only time I really drove on the main road without someone taking control of the wheel was in January of THIS YEAR.

Oh my. That's something VERY different. A trigger perhaps for post traumatic stress. That really has little or nothing with driving itself.
im sorry that your driving instructor was a creep did you call the cops on him or sue him ?

There's really only one person I can drive with that I don't completely flip **** over. And she hasn't had time to teach me lately. (And no, it's not my mother. I refuse to drive with her.)

im sorry that your driving instructor was a creep did you call the cops on him or sue him ? and where did he touch you ?
He slapped my upper thigh a number of times. For the first time driving with a licensed instructor, I wanted to drop the class, but it was only a few weeks.

New Threads

Top Bottom