• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have Asperger's Syndrome apply for a manager position . . ..

Rich Gray

I have Asperger's Syndrome. My manager asked me to apply for a manager position on Saturday. I did so (it sounds like it could be fun). I am not sure what my chances are, but asking me to apply would seem like it would be a good sign.

I am both excited and a bit scared. On one side I hope that I can help point out problems before they occur as I seem to identify procedural problems before others. On the other side I would be managing 10-20 people.

My chameleon-like ability to blend in seems to be highly developed. I am also really good at managing resources (things like money and collectibles). I am also really good at efficiency. Inefficiency is almost immoral in my eyes, and I expressly do not enjoy wasting my time. I seem to be able to do paperwork 400% faster than others (once I get up to speed).

I would think that my different way of thinking is what may be appealing to management. I noticed a flaw that may make my department/company a significant amount of money once corrected (we will know at the end of the year when the change is applicable).

I would like to give it a try, it seems fun. However I have read about folks like me who move up, and fail. Exploring this possibility seems to be logical.

Last edited:
You have Asperger's and they want to you to be a Manager? I can't even get an entry level position.

I was thrilled to get the job to begin with. I do not interview well. Basically they hire hundreds of people for the busy season. Some stick around.

Last edited:
If we can just get past the hiring phase, I think many of us have a lot to offer most any employer.

My ideal job would be working at Game, combining my 2 favourite things, customers and video games, heck, I'd even happily sell Sony and Nintendo products even though I'm an Xbox guy.

On one side I hope that I can help point out problems before they occur as I seem to identify procedural problems before others. On the other side I would be managing 10-20 people.

Good for you. Whether you get it this time or next time, you won't regret it. You're right to be excited, it is a unique and fun challenge and a huge learning opportunity.

A few tips I've picked up along the way, both learning the hard way and through advice:
  • You will see problems before they occur, you will spot patterns and predict the next problem. However, you will also find that people won't appreciate this and more often than not won't even want to hear about it. Accept this now and roll with it, so that it doesn't drive you crazy. :)
  • Let them talk. Your direct reports will go on and on about things you already know and actually predicted months ago. Just let them talk, smile and nod. It makes them feel appreciated.
  • Make a conscious effort to learn the names of everyone working for you, even if you need flashcards to do so. Don't ever let anyone see the flashcards o_O
  • Turn your aspergers upwards and use the direct, logical side of aspergers to protect your team from senior management crap.
  • Trust your employees implicitly. Even if they are idiots, have unwavering faith in them. Eventually they will start to live up to your expectations of them.
  • Don't create a team of you. Look impartiallly at diverse skillsets and make sure you make best use of the touchy-feely emotional employees, the organized list ticking employees and the brilliant aspies. Don't favour the aspies no matter how tempting it might be!
Whatever happens, ultimately remember, you are only as good as your team.

• Turn your aspergers upwards and use the direct, logical side of aspergers to protect your team from senior management crap.

Or do like this autie did, become the CEO and eliminate said crap.

No one says that you have to become stagnant ;)

• You will see problems before they occur, you will spot patterns and predict the next problem. However, you will also find that people won't appreciate this and more often than not won't even want to hear about it. Accept this now and roll with it, so that it doesn't drive you crazy.
This always gets me. I will be excited about figuring out a problem, and expect others to be excited as well. The reaction is usually anything but excitement.

I was promoted to manager, but handed the job back after six months.
The problem was not the content of the job, nor managing the 10 people I was responsible for. I really enjoyed that very much. I actually got feedback from my guys that my evaluations were the first they had ever had that were useful. And I managed to train up and promote another colleague who was able to move on to bigger and better things in the company.

For me the major problem was the political nature of dealing with other managers at my level or higher. I worked in a credit risk function and enjoyed it, i was however continuously at odds with the sales manager who was manipulative and played dirty. At the end of the day I became everybody's waste bin for risk topics, worked 17 hour days, most Saturdays as well. 75 percent of the time i was stuck in meetings and didn't even have time to prepare them anymore. When i went to my ceo and explained to him that i had over 50 to do's and was forced to spend that much time in meetings, he shrugged and told me they were all priority to do's and that i had to go to all the meetings...

The worst were the office politics that i got drawn into. Basically i was responsible for risk, but couldn't do anything to enforce it, but if something went wrong in a file, it was my fault. Straight talking and asking other managers to assume responsibility for their actions was impossible. You had to just tow the company line, being open and honest was not an option.

That was when i learned that most managers are actually not interested in the business at all, but rather how the business can be used to either protect or further their careers.

Later, I also made a fundamental mistake of thinking that i would get on better with other risk personnel. I assumed that they would have integrity and be more honest and up front, but I was massively mistaken, they are basically just as political, manipulative and ruthless as sales personnel, they just don't speak as loudly.

I've never really recovered from that experience and moved on to two other jobs in the company but was recently made redundant during sick leave. After they'd run me into the ground, they fired me for not reaching my targets.

What i've learned is that 'normal' human nature should never be trusted, and there is no such thing as loyalty in business. But that was my employer, i'm pretty sure that they are not all like that.

Last edited:
I have Asperger's Syndrome. My manager asked me to apply for a manager position on Saturday. I did so (it sounds like it could be fun). I am not sure what my chances are, but asking me to apply would seem like it would be a good sign.

I am both excited and a bit scared. On one side I hope that I can help point out problems before they occur as I seem to identify procedural problems before others. On the other side I would be managing 10-20 people.

My chameleon-like ability to blend in seems to be highly developed. I am also really good at managing resources (things like money and collectibles). I am also really good at efficiency. Inefficiency is almost immoral in my eyes, and I expressly do not enjoy wasting my time. I seem to be able to do paperwork 400% faster than others (once I get up to speed).

I would think that my different way of thinking is what may be appealing to management. I noticed a flaw that may make my department/company a significant amount of money once corrected (we will know at the end of the year when the change is applicable).

I would like to give it a try, it seems fun. However I have read about folks like me who move up, and fail. Exploring this possibility seems to be logical.

I'm a Manager, and sometimes it can be overwhelming, but like you described, my different way of thinking is an asset for them, and a fun challenge for me. Just reading your post makes me feel confident that you'll succeed ;)

This always gets me. I will be excited about figuring out a problem, and expect others to be excited as well. The reaction is usually anything but excitement.

Largely because even when faced with the problem, they can't see it! or they deny that it's a problem and pretend that everything is just fine.

And worst yet, when they EVENTUALLY find the problem and everything occurs as I predicted, I never get the coveted "I told you so" moment. They either forget that I said anything, pretend that I never raised the issue or criticize me for not raising the issue "correctly" or bringing "enough" attention to it.

I've been through it so many times I usually take the "let them fail" approach and then "come to the rescue" when they inevitably do. I sometimes even act surprised when the obvious occurs.

Good luck Rich.

Just be careful. I got a job as a manager- not quiet intentionally as it changed into a managers job from a senior technical job sometime in-between me applying for it and starting it. To cut a long story short it eventually led to me being diagnosed but only after a lot of stress and comorbid conditions failing to respond to the usual courses of counselling.

Watch out for the office politics and constantly shifting demands. My advice would to be to have an escape route if you find it is not for you. In my case I could not go back when my mental health failed.

I really hope this works out for you.

I don't know if you guys know, but Bill Gates is Aspie and he's the Microsoft Boss and THE richest guy in the known Universe.

Well he's got more loot than the Head of Sony anyway :D (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Any updates on this Rich? I hope it went well.

I don't know if you guys know, but Bill Gates is Aspie and he's the Microsoft Boss and THE richest guy in the known Universe.

Well he's got more loot than the Head of Sony anyway :D (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
From what I understand his supposed' diagnosis' is just speculation based on anecdotal observations from people who don't even know him well.

New Threads

Top Bottom