• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have a new dog, so that means training videos!

Luca

V.I.P Member
Since I have a new novice dog, you guys get to see me actually training a dog in action!
This is "Malos," btw. He came with the name. He is a purebred red Doberman and is 20 months old.
I have had this dog for just under three days now, and look at that attention and focus!
So here is a quick exercise in "extreme" obedience skills:

Before anyone asks, no, that collar does not hurt him. And no, I don't normally use it. This was the collar his previous owner used on him, and I am gradually getting him used to a martingale and a flat collar. I prefer martingales, flat collars, and "tactical" collars, and for "fancy" show gear I will usually use a leather martingale, a nylon slip lead, or a flat slip chain.

I'm not a big fan of using a collar or lead as the main way to control the dog, since the dog should be 100% responsive to voice commands and hand signals (as shown in this video) and not relying on external force.
He's on a leash here in my yard because I just got him a few days ago and I don't know if he's capable of bolting and jumping the fence yet, lol. So far only Enzo has managed to clear that fence.

When I watch novice Obedience competitors they are often kind of just pulling the dog along with the leash instead of giving the dog enthusiastic verbal instructions and keeping the dog's attention on them. The dogs look bored lol. At the higher levels, you don't even USE a leash. Everything is verbal or gestured.

Also, notice that he is being constantly praised and rewarded. I "pay" him with a reward (food) every time he does something correctly. He will eventually be able to do everything I ask him to do *with* or *without* a tangible reward. Like I said, I've had him for less than three full days. This is pretty damn good. Remember Enzo when I'd had him for three days? Lol

And yes, this is my backyard, by the way! I don't think I've ever shown a picture or video of it directly, lol. It was under construction for a long time.

Weird side note, in case anyone has ever noticed my legs/knees in these videos, I get asked about that a lot irl and I have a condition that causes them to hyperextend backwards like that.

2592202.jpg

Congratulations on your new family member Luca!

I have used an electronic collar to train all of my dogs. As Luca mentioned, the e-collars are fabulous training aids, and at the lower settings are just enough to get their attention. I know how it feels as I tested it on myself.

The e-collars are especially helpful to train my Greyhounds which can run at speeds up to 45 mph. If you lose control of a new Greyhound at that speed they could get lost quite quickly.

It usually takes me a week to get a new dog trained to both voice and visual signals with an occasional extra session if required. After the training is complete, the collars are put away for the next new dog. I truly dislike walking them on a leash as I like to see them enjoy themselves. Thankfully we are blessed with a large property with about a mile of groomed trails. The dogs absolutely love these trails with endless interesting smells to explore.

Last edited:
Really interesting, I have never had dogs so I don’t know much about what happens to train them but I can see that there’s a lot of dedication to it. Really nice. Good luck with the training, he deserves all those treats.

I have started to train my cats. At 22:00 exactly, they are always asking for dreamies at that time, everyday. Very Swiss cats. But maybe, they’ve trained me...
I don't dare leave my hearing aids out as the cats treat them like toys and I have to go searching under rugs to retrieve them.
One cat has a hidden stash to hide all his treasures that he’s stolen. There’s pens, coins (he needs money too), Feathers, one time I found my iPod headphones.

What's the little guy 2nd from right? He/She looks like there is some Chihuahua. I love Chihuahuas!

Your signature picture always reminds me of the old Sesame Street song 'One of these things is not like the others'.

2222.jpg

Relaxing while watching small dog agility competition from California. I am amazed by what I see. More wonderful is how energetic and happy the dogs are.

Wow. That is a very muscular dog. I lived with a Doberman puppy, sadly it was a little too tightly wound. And never trained correctly.

The color is striking. How many lbs does he weigh? Do all your children get along? I mean your pets. I had to watch again. Just amazing.

Last edited:
What's the little guy 2nd from right? He/She looks like there is some Chihuahua. I love Chihuahuas!

Your signature picture always reminds me of the old Sesame Street song 'One of these things is not like the others'.

View attachment 85445

She’s a Podengo Portugueso Pequeno, kind of similar look to a Chihuahua :)

Wow. That is a very muscular dog. I lived with a Doberman puppy, sadly it was a little too tightly wound. And never trained correctly.

The color is striking. How many lbs does he weigh? Do all your children get along? I mean your pets. I had to watch again. Just amazing.
He is about 90-95lbs!!
They all get along :)

She’s a Podengo Portugueso Pequeno, kind of similar look to a Chihuahua :)

I think I remember now you mentioning her at some point. I'm interested because I am always keeping an ear out for any info that might pertain to Chihuahuas. Did I mention I love Chihuahuas! :D Anyway, the DNA evidence is not totally conclusive yet but most lately is pointing back to an mainly European source for the Chihuahua, not an Asian/Eurasian source that came with the first Native Americans accross the ice bridge, etc. And I was just reading a little about the PPP and came accross this:

"The Podengo Portugueso Pequeno helped sailors in the 1400s.​

They were brought on ships heading to the Americas in the 15th century to help keep them free of vermin. This helped protect the stored food and from the sailors succumbing to rodent-borne diseases."

Interesting. I wonder if the Chihuahua has some of the PPP in it's backround.

I think I remember now you mentioning her at some point. I'm interested because I am always keeping an ear out for any info that might pertain to Chihuahuas. Did I mention I love Chihuahuas! :D Anyway, the DNA evidence is not totally conclusive yet but most lately is pointing back to an mainly European source for the Chihuahua, not an Asian/Eurasian source that came with the first Native Americans accross the ice bridge, etc. And I was just reading a little about the PPP and came accross this:

"The Podengo Portugueso Pequeno helped sailors in the 1400s.​

They were brought on ships heading to the Americas in the 15th century to help keep them free of vermin. This helped protect the stored food and from the sailors succumbing to rodent-borne diseases."

Interesting. I wonder if the Chihuahua has some of the PPP in it's backround.
Interesting, especially when evidence indicates cats were on ships since the 8th century BCE. Cats also served on warships Ship's cat - Wikipedia

This is a famous picture in Chihuahua theories. In Italy, painted about 10 years before Columbus's first trip to the Americas. Some say it bares a resemblence to Chihuahuas, but I am not sure. It does have the Apple shaped head though.

77777.jpg

Btw Luca, have you ever seen any of these Xoloitzcuintles? These Mexican Hairless Dogs have proved to be Pre-Columbian and their ancestors came with the first Native Americans. Really striking looks. I have never seen one in person.

7777.jpg

Interesting, especially when evidence indicates cats were on ships since the 8th century BCE. Cats also served on warships Ship's cat - Wikipedia

I always thought the Warships of that era were especially impressive looking. Now I can imagine a few cats strolling down the ships deck as the rowers rowed to the beat a of a drum. :)

Greek_Galleys.jpg

777777.jpg

African Wild Cat. Source of modern cats domesicated at least 10,000 years ago. Still crossbred today.

This is a famous picture in Chihuahua theories. In Italy, painted about 10 years before Columbus's first trip to the Americas. Some say it bares a resemblence to Chihuahuas, but I am not sure. It does have the Apple shaped head though.

View attachment 85452

Btw Luca, have you ever seen any of these Xoloitzcuintles? These Mexican Hairless Dogs have proved to be Pre-Columbian and their ancestors came with the first Native Americans. Really striking looks. I have never seen one in person.

View attachment 85451

Yes, I love Xolos!! :)
They’re not for everyone lol, but I think they are one of the coolest looking dogs.
I have met a few in person.

I always thought the Warships of that era were especially impressive looking. Now I can imagine a few cats strolling down the ships deck as the rowers rowed to the beat a of a drum. :)

View attachment 85453

View attachment 85454

African Wild Cat. Source of modern cats domesicated at least 10,000 years ago. Still crossbred today.
I like the one about the war cat, Camoflage, on a Coast Guard LST in the Pacific. He would chase after enemy tracers on the deck. But I hear that terriers were good on ships for their ratting capacity.

About domestication. There was a second domestication from leopard cats in China, but that line did not last. To come full cirlcle, leopard cats and domestics are bred to obtain Bengals. I took a rescued Bengal in for a while, they are not for everybody. Powerful, strong willed, and dominating, they are rarely good for a multi-cat household. It took a lot of attention and play to keep it from being destructive. But, hiking on my property it would follow me intently. I hate that the chinese now hunt leopard cats for their fur.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom