• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate zoom meetings

selena

I hate mirrors in general, and now I'm forced to look at my face on the screen at least twice every day. I guess I could turn off the video, but then that makes me look insecure, and if it's a meeting with people I've never actually met in person it raises questions that it makes me suspect.

Anyone else?

Yep, I hate 'em! Super awkward. I hate seeing myself and hate that multiple people can see me at the same time. Everything about it is uncomfortable.

I concur. It's like you're constantly under scrutiny. I also find it weird to be looking at everyone at the same time instead of just looking in the general direction of the speaker.

You could always turn off your camera and rename yourself "Reconnecting...." lol

118280754_143769410733704_8885110706493990105_n.jpg

You could always turn off your camera and rename yourself "Reconnecting...." lol

118280754_143769410733704_8885110706493990105_n.jpg

He could at least have spelled "reconnecting" correctly lol!

Yes, I have been doing video calls for years and I still can never get used to it. It helps to keep me in check though, otherwise I have a tendency not to be aware of what my face and body are doing, and I can make some strange facial expression and I stim quite a bit.

I had a interview on Zoom and hated it, so uncomfortable, it ruined my day as i soooooo dislike seeing my face and how it responds to words and emotions, but hey with social distancing ect. it's a thing i have to do and accept ATM, I also understand not being able to turn off the video due to judgements.

Yes, I have been doing video calls for years and I still can never get used to it. It helps to keep me in check though, otherwise I have a tendency not to be aware of what my face and body are doing, and I can make some strange facial expression and I stim quite a bit.

Oh wow! I never noticed that! Now I think I know how the teacher caught on! Good eye!

This is so sad. It makes me very sad to think we spend so much time trying to correct a facial expression or eyebrow movement.....and they DO matter. I talked with a family member the other day about this. About ow some people just by existing in a certain way have great lives and others---just their very existence----is offputting. That's me unless I torment my face and lips and eyes and never have a moment to be myself. Liking my own self is irrelevant living in a social world.

Zoom was never meant to do what people are using it for. The original intention of Zoom was to be a way to conduct corporate meetings virtually so as to save companies the expense and hassle of having to have executives fly all over the world for international meetings. The "Hollywood Squares" type setup was so that corporate executives could interact with each other like they would in a face to face meeting. Zoom's notorious security issues are rooted in the same thing-the creators never dreamed that hackers would have any interest in disrupting private corporate meetings that only a handful of people in the corporation would even be aware of.

Unfortunately because of Covid, Zoom and other similar software is necessary

I don't like it much either

I have used it for a Bible study through our church, a small number of about six people, because we couldn't meet in person, at least it allowed us to chat with each other, at one point in the summer it was safe enough to get together in person for a BBQ and that was so wonderful

I have also used it for involvement with my camera club, as I'm on the club executive, all meetings since March have been on Zoom, we also just had our first club meeting of the year that "would have" been at our live venue, except this year it was on a large Zoom gathering, I didn't like it nearly as much...

You can hide your own video - others will still see you, but you don’t have to see yourself.

just right click your image and choose “hide myself”

This is one of those things where I seriously just cant understand the point.

WHY does everyone have to be on camera? Do their puny brains shut down if they cant see faces, is that how it works? Does their entire existence collapse? It's sure how it SOUNDS with stuff like this.

I mean, really, is just typing or talking WITHOUT facial expressions being part of it so bloody hard to grasp? I grew up with internet that ONLY had text chat, and I cant help but notice that I'm not on fire and my ears havent fallen off. On top of that, we also had phones! Normal phones that only did voices-over-the-phone stuff! Nothing exploded due to the lack of faces being visible, can you imagine that?

No matter how I look at all this video nonsense, the whole thing just seems deeply stupid to me.

I can tell ya one thing, nobody would get me to do it. In front of my camera would be a like a broom stick with a troll-face picture taped to it. Read THAT expression, cause that's what I'd be thinking of it.

Or maybe instead of that, just a view of the room where my 2 dogs often play/fight. You try to socially pressure me into using the camera, I give you noisy, distracting dogs... that's how this works.

I can't stand Zoom. The audio lag, grainy video, weird sounds, multiple videos...actually a one on one Zoom session wouldn't be so bad but when it's multiple people, I just can't handle it. It's super off-putting.

At first when they shut everything down which I still believe was unnecessary we did Zoom at our Church. I thought it was cool for about a month then I got sick of not meeting in person. Underwater speech, frozen images and only one can speak at a time annoyed me.

We are slowly starting to meet in person but we still use Zoom after fake virtual Church which I hate.

This is one of those things where I seriously just cant understand the point.

WHY does everyone have to be on camera? Do their puny brains shut down if they cant see faces, is that how it works? Does their entire existence collapse? It's sure how it SOUNDS with stuff like this.

I find it difficult to understand what someone is saying if I can't see their lips unless they are very articulate and well spoken. That's why I hate talking on the phone. But that's because I have a mild auditory processing disorder.

NTs don't just communicate verbally, body language is also very involved in communication.

I hate mirrors in general, and now I'm forced to look at my face on the screen at least twice every day. I guess I could turn off the video, but then that makes me look insecure, and if it's a meeting with people I've never actually met in person it raises questions that it makes me suspect.

Anyone else?
Me too, low self esteem.
My mum once made me look in the mirror as she thought I was crying like a baby.
I don't like online video chats as I can see myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom