• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate necro threads

Ezra

Relax, it's just chaos.
So a thread apears when I click new posts. The first person to reply to the OP is someone I have not seen in years (on another forum). So "oh cool so you ended up here" I think to myself and want to message them. Then I realize the OP is years old and the person I recognized hasn't posted here since 2017 :(

For me it's worst over on Steam.

Maybe I'll have posted a question on some board, hoping that some developer answers so I can fix something, and then I see that magic green notification pop up and, I go to check it, aaaaaaaand....

It's some guy posting the words "git gud" in a 7 year old thread.

Like, really? Just.... ugh.

Happens alot.

Actually find it interesting to compare the older threads with the new ones. Even if they are older they can be revived out of interest. Similar concerns and ideas exist here year after year, and for those just discovering autism they can be comforting.

I think of this place as a compendium of information, and if you're willing to read the old threads you find others who may or may not still be around with like-minded concerns. It made me feel less alone, and less different when I discovered that some people think in a similar way.

When you're out there with ASD, you feel somewhat alone in the world. Discovering that your not the only one, alters the concept of self. The similarities create an understanding that was not there before.

@Mia, all true. I probably should have said this is something I hate about necro threads. Of course if I had been more active here over the years I would have been aware of when that person was posting here and when they stopped.

But also it seems silly when say an OP asked for advice on a current situation back in 2009 and someone revives the thread to offer it eleven years later in 2020.

But also it seems silly when say an OP asked for advice on a current situation back in 2009 and someone revives the thread to offer it eleven years later in 2020.

Well, not everyone is aware of threads that have been dormant for years. That much is true. Their bad. People need to know that it's advisable to click on the poster's icon to see the last time they were in the forum before contributing to an old thread.

But it doesn't change the reality that one may also simply want to revive an old thread, in the hope that others will again post in it as well. Nothing wrong with that. Though admittedly it's a crapshoot as to whether or not others once again begin posting in an old, dormant thread.

Yes, l always feel duped when that happens. Time changes things. Society changes, let's not morp back that far, l don't know that poster.

At least one forum I had been on had a rule against posting to a thread that was more than 60 days old and would lock such a thread whenever that happened.

At least one forum I had been on had a rule against posting to a thread that was more than 60 days old and would lock such a thread whenever that happened.

We have any number of autism issues that likely remain timeless to most of us. Where the subject matter is far more important than the consideration of minor forum protocols. Though in the event of redundancy the mods tend to merge threads. That much is true as well.

Of course from an administrative perspective, such things often come down to server space. If they have plenty of it, then don't expect purging of old threads to happen on a frequent basis. It's just up to the management how often they choose to do that, if at all.

So the policies of other websites and forums are likely to be different depending on their resources or the lack thereof. Clearly this has never been an issue with this particular domain over the years.

Last edited:

Maybe it is. At times an OP may get some sort of response, or not. Depending on the question, the current members, the overall population present here who have similar concerns. But its not always wholly responded to when the question is posed. Having someone come along who really thought about it years later, and responded is for me a closure of some sort. And I really like finishing things.

Last edited:
We have any number of autism issues that likely remain timeless to most of us. Where the subject matter is far more important than the consideration of minor forum protocols. Though in the event of redundancy the mods tend to merge threads. That much is true as well.

Of course from an administrative perspective, such things often come down to server space. If they have plenty of it, then don't expect purging of old threads to happen on a frequent basis. It's just up to the management how often they choose to do that, if at all.

So the policies of other websites and forums are likely to be different depending on their resources or the lack thereof. Clearly this has never been an issue with this particular domain over the years.

I don't think any action needs to be taken in this forum regarding necro threads. The reason why it was taken in that forum (in which the moderating was heavy handed) is because generally as a rule in forums necro threads are frowned upon. And not every thread here is about autism. I just started a thread about feeling like quitting forums altogether, which doesn't have anything to do with my autism. And I can picture someone reopening that thread in 2029 to encourage me to stick around a little longer.

And I can picture someone reopening that thread in 2029 to encourage me to stick around a little longer.

True. It's quite possible as long as posters don't bother to check if the OP or later posters are even still here.

Happens all the time...but few people seem to fret over it.

Last edited:
Maybe it is. At times an OP may get some sort of response, or not. Depending on the question, the current members, the overall population present here who have similar concerns. But its not always accurately responded to when the question is posed. Having someone come along who really thought about it years later, and responded is for me a closure of some sort. And I really like finishing things.

In my experience often the OP and most everyone who posted a reply are long gone. I think 9 times out of 10 the person who revives a dead thread just doesn't realize how old it is, and also often little is gained from it being bumped from page 999 to page 1.

Archived threads are very useful though. There has been a number of times I have googled a question about something, and someone who asked the same question on some forum somewhere comes up and I see a bunch of helpful answers.

I think 9 times out of 10 the person who revives a dead thread just doesn't realize how old it is, and also often little is gained from it being bumped from page 999 to page 1.

Sometimes a thread strikes a chord with people no matter how old it is, and others create threads related to it or inspired by it. Ideas are often connected to other ideas like a chain of concepts.

So at times something is gained from it. It brings to mind individuals who are reminded of something when they read an idea, and connect some of those unconnected thoughts. And come up with another one, inspired by the first one they came in contact with.

There are endless correlations going on all the time. It seems to be how my mind works.

Last edited:
Every forum could use a Necro thread, but it should probably include Non-Phixion, La Coka Nostra, Ill Bill, Goretex and Mr. Hyde as well just to avoid overspecialization. :sunglasses:

New Threads

Top Bottom