• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had to temporarily quit my job today!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Due to personal and family stuff going on, I had to temporarily resign from the job at the new Sue Ryder Charity shop which I started last week, at least until the New Year till I see what happens with various aspects of my offline life.

To be honest though I'm in 2 minds whether to go back, their store policy means newbies don't get to serve on the till until they've been there quite a while, and really that was the main thing I signed up for as that's where my skills lie, serving customers.

Maybe we can address that next year

I'm also half considering going back to the Oxfam in Town which I left about 2 and half years ago, only thing that puts me off are the 2 main reasons I left in the first place, mine and the carers' safety because of the shop itself getting burgled and then the same day, I got attacked outside the shop at the Bus stop by some idiot in a Hoodie.

Sorry to hear about the setback with respect to your employment goals and about the stress/difficulties in your life.

I have no advice or feedback except to say I hope things all work out well going forward!

Having spent months, or even years on end trying to get a job, I'm very surprised to read that you are thinking of giving up a new job after just a week. I can't comment on the personal reasons for your having to take a break other than to say that I hope you manage to get them sorted out, but as far as returning after New year is concerned, you need to stick to their policies whatever they are, it's their shop and their rules - no job is ever going to perfect and you need to accept that there may be some aspects that you don't like so much. You need to build up trust with them - they need to be convinced that you are a good, reliable and trustworthy employee that they would ba happy to have on the tills. Be patient, work hard, always be pleasant and polite, and they will give you that chance.

So sorry to hear that. I hope things get back to normal for you soon. And as far as the job, when you go back - be patient. We have to abide by policies whether we like or agree with them or not.

Perhaps if you went into some details about your personal situation we might have been able to offer some advice as to how to manage while still working. That much said, it sounds like that ship has already sailed. Do you honestly think that the shop will accept you back after the New Year?

I work a job that I loathe and everydayi want to quit and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. But I lack recent work history so I do what I need to do which is work. The perfect job doesn't exist and it never will. Some are better than others but work no recent work history, no one cares that I can do wizardry work computers. They only see someone who can't work and is therefore unreliable. So given my set of circumstances, I go to my security guard job miserable as all get out but I'm working.

Having spent months, or even years on end trying to get a job, I'm very surprised to read that you are thinking of giving up a new job after just a week. I can't comment on the personal reasons for your having to take a break other than to say that I hope you manage to get them sorted out, but as far as returning after New year is concerned, you need to stick to their policies whatever they are, it's their shop and their rules - no job is ever going to perfect and you need to accept that there may be some aspects that you don't like so much. You need to build up trust with them - they need to be convinced that you are a good, reliable and trustworthy employee that they would ba happy to have on the tills. Be patient, work hard, always be pleasant and polite, and they will give you that chance.

It's a voluntary position, so I'm a volunteer there.

As discussed at length on here and in my Blog elsewhere I've literally been doing the voluntary work thing since the year Dot.

Only reason I signed up was because due to what happened at my last job, I haven't worked for just over 18 months.

And no, I am not going into THAT again, read the archived posts on here.

Maybe having a job isn’t your thing? You put so much of your time and effort into it and then have to quit. I would like to see you enjoy something instead.
Maybe you can retire young?
Just a thought. I’ll mind my own business now....

It's a voluntary position, so I'm a volunteer there.

As discussed at length on here and in my Blog elsewhere I've literally been doing the voluntary work thing since the year Dot.

Only reason I signed up was because due to what happened at my last job, I haven't worked for just over 18 months.

And no, I am not going into THAT again, read the archived posts on here.
Despite it being volunteer, the expectation is for you to treat it like it's a paid position. I've been a volunteer EMT in the past and there was the expectation of showing up on time, being professional, and performing tasks of the same nature as the paid staff. This is just the reality of it.

Sorry to hear you are having personal problems Rich. As for going back (if that is an option) just remember that no job is perfect, in fact simply having a job that you don't actively hate is a far better situation than a large portion of the population. You'll just have to be patient and work hard to prove that you can handle the position you want.

Despite it being volunteer, the expectation is for you to treat it like it's a paid position. I've been a volunteer EMT in the past and there was the expectation of showing up on time, being professional, and performing tasks of the same nature as the paid staff. This is just the reality of it.
I'd agree that that is the expectation for voluntary positions, I've done a fair bit of voluntary work over the years, and worked as a paid employee leading volunteers, and I would always have the same expectations for volunteers as paid staff, taking into account differing levels of training and time commitments of course.

Hope things get better for you soon. Still as others have said you have to do thing as expected of you.

With all the employment fraud and theft of service and unsafe working conditions and bullying and malicious wounding and all the other employment law violations being committed by employers nowadays, there are some jobs that are too expensive and dangerous to keep. It's not unusal to be hired for a 40 hour per week job in a local low crime community with wages above the poverty rate and then be the victim of the old bait and switch, whereby on day one you are transferred out of town to a high crime area, forced to work double and triple shifts for less than 25% of legal minimum wage or not paid at all. This is common where I live.

Most people realize that doing drugs or drinking oneself into oblivion then driving or operating machinery will cause injury, but working 24 hours straight without sleep because your boss won't let you go home and take the required 8 hour nap between shifts, will also kill you or at least cause loss of limb, destroy your vehicle, cost you a fortune in damages and get you fired. Some people don't realize that the amount of money they have to pay to have a job exceeds the net pay they get in return.

Maybe having a job isn’t your thing? You put so much of your time and effort into it and then have to quit. I would like to see you enjoy something instead.
Maybe you can retire young?
Just a thought. I’ll mind my own business now....

I WANT to work, and contrary to popular belief my desire to work is NOT just to shut the Daily Fail readers up who accuse me of being a workshy slave to the benefit system, I genuinely have an aching desire to work, but the system won't let me.

Last edited:
Sorry Nothingtoseehere, the Agree and Funny are right next to each other and I hit the wrong one. Your post wasn’t funny.
I should enlarge the iPad screen so I can be more accurate.
I have done some voluntary work and think of it as regular paycheck work, so I was agreeing with you.

Sorry Nothingtoseehere, the Agree and Funny are right next to each other and I hit the wrong one. Your post wasn’t funny.
I should enlarge the iPad screen so I can be more accurate.
I have done some voluntary work and think of it as regular paycheck work, so I was agreeing with you.
Ah ok then, no worries, I do the same thing all the time when I'm using my tablet!

New Threads

Top Bottom