• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had a tooth break off yesterday

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
I was having a root canal done yesterday when the tooth being worked on suddenly snapped off at the gum line. :eek::mad: Fortunately the office has an oral surgeon on staff so the remainder of the tooth could be extracted immediately. It just popped right out after only 5 minutes of prying. Then the oral surgeon had to fill the hole with a bone graft. So now my mouth hurts REALLY bad. Fortunately there isn't any infection or anything, it just hurts. Now almost all the molars are gone on the right side of my mouth, and I am learning to chew with only my left side. The right side of my jaw was always stronger than my left, so I used it for heavy duty chewing-I used to eat Tic Tacs which are a type of hard mint by the mouthful and chew them on the right side, stuff like that. My mom thinks that maybe the molars became weak over time and with all the drilling that was done over the years.

That sucks! I have had more than my fair share of dental work. Please take care of your teeth!

Also, almost any dental work is far, far cheaper in Mexico. You can vacation and get your work done for less than what the same work costs in the U.S. or Canada. The work is good and you get to have fun too. Consider it!

That sucks! I have had more than my fair share of dental work. Please take care of your teeth!

Also, almost any dental work is far, far cheaper in Mexico. You can vacation and get your work done for less than what the same work costs in the U.S. or Canada. The work is good and you get to have fun too. Consider it!

My sister-in-law and her husband fly to Cancun for dental work that would cost a fortune in the US. And they are very wealthy people who could easily afford to pay for dental work in the US. SIL says the Cancun dental clinic is associated with a high class hotel where the patients are taken care of, appropriate menus prepared, etc. It's medical tourism in Mexico! Lots of people go there for cosmetic surgery, too.

One year while husband and I were vacationing near Cancun, husband actually ran into a Mexican doctor who had trained under him in radiology in Mississippi. Talk about a small world! The two docs proceeded to bore the guy's wife and me to tears while they told old war stories and talked "medicine" for hours. The Mexican doctor's wife and I left them drinking beer and eating pulpo beside the ocean while they yakked up a storm and we went shopping and sightseeing. LOL

I was having a root canal done yesterday when the tooth being worked on suddenly snapped off at the gum line. :eek::mad: Fortunately the office has an oral surgeon on staff so the remainder of the tooth could be extracted immediately. It just popped right out after only 5 minutes of prying. Then the oral surgeon had to fill the hole with a bone graft. So now my mouth hurts REALLY bad. Fortunately there isn't any infection or anything, it just hurts. Now almost all the molars are gone on the right side of my mouth, and I am learning to chew with only my left side. The right side of my jaw was always stronger than my left, so I used it for heavy duty chewing-I used to eat Tic Tacs which are a type of hard mint by the mouthful and chew them on the right side, stuff like that. My mom thinks that maybe the molars became weak over time and with all the drilling that was done over the years.
Either you have a genetic problem or you have to take better care of your teeth.

Get implants for those missing teeth. That's a better solution than a partial denture. A lot of dental schools will do implants for less money. Cleanings every 6 months if you can. Use an ultrasonic toothbrush daily and a water pik for between the teeth.

You sound even worse than me. I got to see the dentist once when I was about 14. Massive amount of drilling. Back in those days, dentists didn't really tell you about proper dental hygiene. They expected you to be back with more work to be done and that you'd eventually have to go to dentures.

After that, no dental care until I went into the military. All those fillings I got as a teenager had to be replaced and they did a root canal. I have one molar missing on each side of my lower jaw but it isn't a big deal. I still have my wisdom teeth all around so losing one isn't a biggie.

Nowadays I get my dental care thru Medicare.

I did indeed neglect my teeth from college (starting mid 90s) until about 2015 or so. The problem was rooted in mental illness ultimately. Also, I have a genetic tendency towards bad teeth-my grandfather, who I'm genetically closest to, had all his teeth gone by the time he was 30. I can't do implants due to the underlying bone being weakened and the sinuses being too close to the top of the bone on the uppers.

@oregano
I got the genetic time bomb too. I have been teeth free since 2016. Nope. Not one!

If you can do impants on the lower jaw it helps to avoid bone loss in your jaw. I could not do it and I do have bone loss. Too much! The upper us more difficult but bone loss is slower.

Impants in Mexico are comparitely cheap. For my husbands single tooth, including bone graft, surgery, pin and replacement too plus all visits to the office and the tooth it was 1300.00 usd.
4 pins with a full lower denture would be about 4500.00.

Ouch. My jaw hurts just thinking about it. I have had similar dental issues and have had to get partial dentures. Even now, over a year after the last teeth were pulled, I occasionally have what I refer to as a 'memory pain' as though the tooth is still there. Anbesol time.

oregano, are you in Virginia? If so, I know of a dental clinic in Richmond that could help you for less than the cost of traditional dentistry, with reasonably decent quality work.

The dental school here (part of the University of Mississippi Medical Center) allows dental residents, under the direct supervision of the professors, to work on patients' teeth for free. It has a long waiting list but they do provide quality dental care, free of charge. Is there a teaching university hospital near you? It may be worthwhile to investigate.

Lemme give you all suffering dental pain massive hugs. I have an infected molar currently and I have decided to save the tooth. It hurts. So believe me when I say I know how something so tiny can cause immense suffering.

New Threads

Top Bottom