• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had a breakthrough last night.

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Before I fell asleep, under the dreamy glow of my starlight projector in its purple-waves-green-stars sheen of safety, I had a discussion with myself.

I said "Hey, you know how you've always gotten so livid at people like Maddog calling you a child, using the word to define you as such by the way you act, and not as your position in a family bloodline?"

I thought "What's so wrong with being a child?"

Whoever said you HAD to grow up in life? Whoever said that being mature was required to be part of life? And I don't mean as in "act your age" mature, but didn't we all used to be young? Didn't we all used to be teenagers searching for our spot in life to fit in? Most importantly, weren't we all happiest when we were younger?

I'm still able to recall awesome days i had ad a teenager. My very first kiss from a girl, my first major purchase at a store, the first time I ever drew something in a sketchbook that looked like someone really talented on Deviantart made it and not like something you'd see in Baldi's Basics...

The first time i met my best friend Austin in middle school.

Up until my escape from my guardians, I was actually pretty happy. And I was happy because I was young, and I'm somewhat happy again, because I never forgot that I used to be young.

And I never want to forget that. I never want to forget that I had youth, and I still AM young.

Who cares if i'm a child both by bloodline AND by social definition? Who cares if I still say things like "OwO" in response to something my little sister drew? Who cares if I still curl up like Kirby under a rolled up weighted blanket? That's who and what I am, and for all i know that's all I'll ever be, and I will never be ashamed of that.

And it was last night during this talk with inner self that I figured out my mission here on Earth: I was sent here to spread a message to humanity, that there is nothing wrong with acting half your age, even if you're an adult! (I guess as long as you don't go too far back with it, lol.)

I may be 25 years old now, but my spirit will always be fifteen, and if that never changes, I don't ever want it to.

Stay young, AspieCentral!
Stay young, world!

I liked who I was in my early 20's, but it was still too old not to be seen as an adult. I was going into pubs at 15, it was taboo and felt grown up. I always wanted to be grown up, be taken seriously, not be treated like a child. It seemed to take forever. Then, when I finally was, it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

I loved playing by myself, making up games, doing experiments, reading comics, going off on my bike. I liked that little boy. I am still him. He is still me. I still play by myself, still do experiments, my games are different, my bike is my legs, but I am still him, always will be.

My 20's was what I call my best decade.
Physically I was still in good shape and enjoyed outdoor activities that required strength.
I had a good job as a pharmacist for a wholesale corporation so I didn't have to interact with customers.
I worked filling scripts and putting together the deliveries that went to institutions like jails and nursing
homes in the afternoon, then gave a different driver their route off at night.
So I was out all night going to various areas in a 30 mile radius.

Those were the years of being outside on the weekends. Never cared for partying and such, but,
I did love to fish in the gulf with my Dad. Swim in the water and belonged to a shell club.
The music of the 80's was the best, still is.
I found my first boyfriend that I thought I loved. New experience.

But, inside I've never felt any different than when I was around age 13.
That inner me stayed the same. It is a feeling of being free and not weighed down with
worrying about if I act like the adults think I should.

I'm midway between eleventy seven and threety fourve.

I look 65, I feel like I'm 12, I hang out with a 50-odd years, a 20-odd years and 17month old.
(The 17month old makes more sense than the other two put together)

I have to work out how old I am when asked
and I have no solid idea how I'm supposed to act all of the time.

I like this way of 'being' :)

This is just me, but....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "young at heart". I am in my 50's and still enjoy rollercoasters, fast cars, going outside, hiking, nature, nature photography, growing all sorts of plants, travel, and so on. I like watching dumb comedies, stand-up comedy, and even some of those old cartoons I watched as a kid.

However,...I do have this thing about NOT being dependent upon others. I have been employed in some capacity since I was 9 years old doing yard work for the old ladies in the neighborhood,...I had to have my own money. I have sacrificed to set up my financial investments,...not only for myself,...but my family. I even went so far as to put a huge solar array on my roof with a storage battery in the basement,...and have 2 electric cars,...NOT necessarily to be "green",...but to be independent from power companies and buying gasoline.

I know some of us have far more "issues" than I do,...noted,...but having an ASD is not necessarily an excuse for dependency and being a "child". I think it is a matter of finding that "balance" in life where you are still a responsible, productive citizen,...and still have a sense of childlike wonder, curiosity, and zest for life.

My wife is always telling me to "grow up" and I am 75. My doctor says that 75 is the new 65. I have also heard that if you do not grow up by the time that you are 70, then you do not have to. The point is that being "young at heart" is a good thing.

My wife is always telling me to "grow up" and I am 75. My doctor says that 75 is the new 65. I have also heard that if you do not grow up by the time that you are 70, then you do not have to. The point is that being "young at heart" is a good thing.

I was always told it was by the time you were 50. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom