• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Got Off Of Psychiatric Meds and Have Improved Ten-Fold!!!

ftfipps

I was crippled by Risperdal for a year...May 2018 thru May 2019. I stopped and a month later, I was magically able to do strenuous physical exercise. Gee, I wonder why? Now I weigh 170, I'm tall btw, and I'm doing great! I used cbd for a while. I would recommend that but in moderation. You use too much you won't be productive. I am even considering getting a job. I haven't worked since October 2017. That's just Crazy! I've also gotten a lot better at my social image. I stopped drinking. I was on the road to DEATH, and soon, too. Like, not an exaggeration I was within months of death due to health conditions due to drinking. Ask any questions you like. Stay positive guys!

I’m glad to hear you quit drinking, I was worried about you for a while. And it’s good to hear you’re doing well without Risperdal as well. Did you coordinate that with your prescribing doctor, or did you quit by yourself? (Just curious, I’m not wearing my Judgy Pants ;) )

Hey, thanks for sharing! Not every drug helps every patient. We'd all be fortunate to have a pharmacology advocate to help decide when a drug is harming more than it is helping.

I’m glad to hear you quit drinking, I was worried about you for a while. And it’s good to hear you’re doing well without Risperdal as well. Did you coordinate that with your prescribing doctor, or did you quit by yourself? (Just curious, I’m not wearing my Judgy Pants ;) )
Thanks for the response @Bolletje !

I haven't taken any meds in at least a decade. Often times, Dr.'s try to treat autism like any mental illness, even though it's not. I never had a good response to mental health meds. I find that being not overstimulated is the best autism treatment.

Hey, thanks for sharing! Not every drug helps every patient. We'd all be fortunate to have a pharmacology advocate to help decide when a drug is harming more than it is helping.
Hey, no problem! Ugh, it was a nightmare for me. On and off drugging since I was a teen. I am partially insane now (which I use natural remedies for) and my dopamine system will never be the same. Those drugs are for worst case scenario.

I haven't taken any meds in at least a decade. Often times, Dr.'s try to treat autism like any mental illness, even though it's not. I never had a good response to mental health meds. I find that being not overstimulated is the best autism treatment.
Hey, angel! I agree with everything you said.

Congrats! And that's interesting, how did Risperdal prevent you from strenuous exercise? I'm on Risperdal! It helps with general anxiety. :cool:

Sometimes, it's the doctor, but sometimes it's the patient. There are people who want to stay on medication long term and not try to work on natural ways to heal themselves. Psychology is a tricky thing. We all have options. We have to make our own choices in regard to this type of thing. There is no one right answer, and no one is to blame. Ultimately, it's ideal to work on a natural solution permanently.

Sometimes, it's the doctor, but sometimes it's the patient. There are people who want to stay on medication long term and not try to work on natural ways to heal themselves. Psychology is a tricky thing. We all have options. We have to make our own choices in regard to this type of thing. There is no one right answer, and no one is to blame. Ultimately, it's ideal to work on a natural solution permanently.
Yep, and more power to them if it helps them. In my experience though, psych medication has been a detriment. There are lots of people that funnel that stuff like it's nothing. I find many psych clinics to be prescription mills.

Meds have actually been pretty useful for me. I keep hearing that meds can be used to treat some symptoms of ASD and I wanna check that out but I don't really know much.

Everyone has different reactions to stuff but I'm glad that for the most part I haven't had to take any meds.

I find I cope better off meds than on.

I also feel safe in the knowledge I can rely on meds if the need arises.

Personally I find I'm more motivated to take care of myself and understand what's happening to me, off meds.

I like the discovery, responsibility and control I think.
I also have the time at the moment to slow down and explore what works for me in terms of wellness and or recovery.

Yeah, just because a dr prescribed a drug doesn't mean you should take it. It could be causing more harm then helping, or you need something else, including exercise, nutrition, etc.

Meds have actually been pretty useful for me. I keep hearing that meds can be used to treat some symptoms of ASD and I wanna check that out but I don't really know much.

The only medication directly marketed as a treatment for ASD is Risperdal to treat irritability associated with Autism. Anything else for treating Autism would be an off-label use.

The suggestion that "natural methods" should be used to treat all mental illness is just as silly as suggesting they should be used to treat all physical illness.

It's fairly common on this forum to decry the use of all psychiatric medication, and I'm starting believe that those who do so are ones who, generally speaking, have experienced some degree of anxiety and/or depression at some point in their life. They were then treated unsuccessfully with medication, possibly even made worse by it, and so sought other methods, leading them to address their actual problems, such as negative thought patterns and an unhealthy lifestyle. This made them feel feel better and so they concluded that medication is unnecessary and possibly damaging.

But this is an entirely different category of people than those who truly require medication. There are countless cases where the suggestion would be absolutely ludicrous that medication is unnecessary or damaging for them.

The fact that you (general "you") should never have been on medication in the first place is not a reason that others should not be treated.

New Threads

Top Bottom