• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got banned from a group for using functioning labels

Ephraim Becker

V.I.P Member
I got banned from the autism worldwide Facebook group for saying “high functioning” autism. I don’t think it’s fair at all. They called me super ableist which I’m not.

I could not attend classes successfuly as a student. You are more " high functioning" than i am. I believe you have the right to describe yourself however you wish. Some of my friends are pretty savy about computers, the smartest ones tell me facebook may not always be safe to use.

Was it fair that I got banned from the facebook group for saying that I want a friend with high functioning autism?

There are a lot of groups full of younger autistic people that do this. They aren't tolerant at all about how other autistic people refer to themselves and talk about their issues. This is why I use forums over other types of social media for talking to autistic people, they are often a lot more relaxed.

Ableist refers to the attitude of privileging nondisabled people over disabled people. It's the general prevailing attitude of society that tends to marginalize and oppress disabled people.

There is new research out there that says that 'functioning' labels are discriminatory and misleading. They have a point. How many of us who have been labelled 'high functioning' have been denied services, or discriminated against because of other people's perceptions about what we 'should be able to do' based on their ideas of what it means to be 'high functioning' or have 'mild' autism?! Historically the term 'high functioning' has been based solely on intelligence, which, of course, means very little in terms of what other difficulties we might have as a result of the 'scatter' in our abilities. (never mind the fluctuating nature of our abilities and difficulties!). Attempting to discard the labels 'high functioning' and 'low functioning' is an attempt at achieving more equality for everyone. There is a lot of merit to it.

The shift is a lot like how the terms 'idiot' and 'moron' were once legitimate medical labels, but are now considered derogatory. "High Functioning Autism" was, not that long ago, an informal, but specific medical label.

I'm trying to reprogram my brain to use the terms 'more capable', or something similar instead of "high functioning'. I don't think anybody has yet come up with an agreed upon term for those of us at the less severely affected end of the spectrum. There are valid differences between those of us who can do more for ourselves, and interact to some degree in a 'regular' fashion, vs. those who fit more the 'classic autism' category. (or perhaps, the stereotype of it). As understanding of autism evolves, of course, the terminology will too.

But saying that I want a friend with high functioning autism that is Jewish. If that person can't speak, there's no communication with that person on Shabbos because you can't use electronics on Shabbos so the only way is speaking.

The correct terminology is ASD-1. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. But it really is the same thing as high-functioning. A lot of us will include some ASD test results in their signature to indicate the severity of their ASD. I'm not saying that is the same as functioning level though.

However you are not likely to find it on an online social media site, at least i dont believe you will. Have you thought about studying hebrew on sabbath instead of socializing? By your lights(no electronics) you would have to see some one in person, but how would you do that? Someone would have to drive...is a telephone not an electronic device?

The correct terminology is ASD-1. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. But it really is the same thing as high-functioning. A lot of us will include some ASD test results in their signature to indicate the severity of their ASD. I'm not saying that is the same as functioning level though.

I think you mean "official term", not "correct". "Correct" implies judgment, which you probably weren't trying to say. Being diagnosed with DSM 4, and not having been involved much with the autism community in a long time, I have yet to wrap my mind around the new categories, ir technical terms, nor have i had a reason to. ASD or "autism spectrum" usually work well enough, especially since Asperger's still gets tossed around. Or just plain autism works for me.

I got banned from the autism worldwide Facebook group for saying “high functioning” autism. I don’t think it’s fair at all. They called me super ableist which I’m not.

Just had a thought. If what you were looking for someone who was capable of using speech comfortably, or at least conversationally, maybe using the term "verbal autistic" would've been better received? And more specific.

That's a silly reason to be banned. You didn't even get a warning? That's ridiculous. I'm sorry about that.

I think the old labelling system ended up working like a caste system and some people were disadvantaged by it, I've met HFA people online (I'm asperger's in the old system) who make millions and have full time work, and I'm on welfare.

I think the old labelling system ended up working like a caste system and some people were disadvantaged by it, I've met HFA people online (I'm asperger's in the old system) who make millions and have full time work, and I'm on welfare.

I think you've got a point about the caste system. There are a lot of technicalities with the terminology, especially when it comes to the whole is AS a form of autism ,or qualitatively different" argument, and the legalities and amount of services offered based on the label used thing. Also the argument about whether HFAs and Aspies could have anything valid to say about the experience of those more severely affected, etc. etc. Insert history of the politics of autism here.

A personal observation/experience: the difference between "high functioning" and "low functioning" isn't hard wired. Under enough stress, any of us can become "low functioning"!

Facebook is the trash of the internet. Its full of people who just troll and say ignorant things. My advice, delete facebook. I learned to stop facebook. IMHO it makes you feel worse. Its a trolls / narcissists playground.

New Threads

Top Bottom