• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I found some nice memories from past friends

Jorg

I was cleaning my room when I found a paper box with some memorabilia/letters from old friends. Back when I was in my last year of high school, my senior year I guess they call it that way in US, there was this tradition of exchanging letters or thoughts on paper with every student who was going to graduate and end highschool. You get letters from everyone, from the youngest students to the older ones.

That was almost 12 years ago, and still I keep those memories intact, preserved. I know I shouldn't live in the past, I should live the present and prepare for the future but I am a kind of "emotional" guy, someone who treasures good friends and feelings.

I write this thread because Im kind of in the middle of hard, sad times with one of those persons who gave me a letter. Some of you may know, some of you don't, I wrote some threads about this person here while ago; she was my crush in highschool but I was so shy back then I never did anything; but even years after highschool she and I used to go out until I think it was around 2014 she and I kissed for the first time. I don't want to make the story long, but my shyness betrayed me again that year and I don't talk to her since like 3 years ago. I tried to make things nice but she blocked me from everywhere.

I still miss her.

For most of the time I have been good, university have kept me focused and busy, some days I dream about her, fixing things,holding hands, but only for a day or two every couple of months. I don't know if it is the lockdown, the fact I'm only enrolled on the last 2 classes of my carrer that I have more free time, or what, but I have been thinking of her for the past 2 weeks, trying to solve or find a way to contact her again...

Anyway, it was kind of relief to write this...

Wow Jorg, a time capsule from the past, how cool.
writing letters like you say seems such a nice way to communicate your last thoughts at the end of a milestone in every ones life.
yes you are right about shyness, it can get the best of us sometimes and can leave us thinking a big "what if". moving forward can be difficult some of the time. sounds like great memories.
glad u wrote your letter, peace

It's great to have those keepsakes of the time you were at school, to remember each person. Yes I can relate to that nostalgia about a past significant relationship, especially my first relationship. I thought about the person for years, even after I finally cut off from on off contact with them.

Just to update though, I forced myself to move on, though with huge regrets for what might have been, but I do know, because the person was friends with my siblings partner, that they never really changed around the issues that would have made a relationship unhappy or impossible. I focussed on developing myself, and it has worked out well. The past is the past.

I wrangle with this. I have thrown away important things and have kept unimportant things. As I get older and as things continue to deteriorate, I feel more of the urge to want to throw it all away except for a few things that are important to just a few family members. I regret almost every relationship outside kin and half the kin! There are only a few kin and two friendships that I cling to. Everyone else and all the crap I have associated with them can go rot in the hot place. :)

If you are in contact with these past friends, or if you can find them online, you can mention that you found something that reminded you of that memory/memories to try to start/build/re-build your connection(s) with these people.

Although I have the majority of them added on Facebook I feel really connected or keep texting with 3 of them, 1 is married and has a son, other just had a baby last month and another works out of town. All of them women.

I also found some letters from girls I am like 4 years older than them saying something that back in the day really raised my self esteem lol, apparently they had a crush on me back then haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom