• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel attacked by this website

Neko

All of the ads on this website are extremely intrusive. It wouldn't be so bad if it was one ad, but there are numerous ads per page.

The ads on this website directly trigger my ASD and make it harder for me to function (socialize with others here). On a website regarding any other topic I would simply never visit this website again. However because this website is specifically for autistic people, I feel like we are being taken advantage of.

I realize that running websites costs a bit of money. However I know it is a very small amount of money. Even though I barely survive on a disability pension, I would pay a very small amount of money to remove the ads (because webhosting is so cheap.), but not $10/yr.

Sure, I can cut $10/yr out of my "below minimum wage" budget, but because I feel attacked, and I know how much I'm being overcharged, I do not want to do so.

For reference: I run my own webserver out of my office, it costs me about $2/mo. in electricity usage.

All of the ads on this website are extremely intrusive. It wouldn't be so bad if it was one ad, but there are numerous ads per page.

The ads on this website directly trigger my ASD and make it harder for me to function (socialize with others here). On a website regarding any other topic I would simply never visit this website again. However because this website is specifically for autistic people, I feel like we are being taken advantage of.

I realize that running websites costs a bit of money. However I know it is a very small amount of money. Even though I barely survive on a disability pension, I would pay a very small amount of money to remove the ads (because webhosting is so cheap.), but not $10/yr.

Sure, I can cut $10/yr out of my "below minimum wage" budget, but because I feel attacked, and I know how much I'm being overcharged, I do not want to do so.

For reference: I run my own webserver out of my office, it costs me about $2/mo. in electricity usage.
Go to the app page on your computer look up ad blocker download one that doesn't also contain ads or in ad purchases after its been installed then come back to this website

What I also recommend doing is searching through the app page for different ad blockers noting down the name websites try and push through the ad blocker and force you to view adverts so if that happens go and look for a different ad blocker

Just so you know I tried to to end my subscription to this website which you have to do through PayPal but was still charged

Your browser should have a tab where you can choose add-ons such as an ad-blocker. Then follow the instructions to install it.

Thank you.

Streetwise, have you contacted an administrator about the charges? I hope that can be resolved to your satisfaction; and I appreciate the warning immensely!

I do have a couple of ad-blockers but they are not working well for this site. I will try to figure it out further. Thanks again for the advice.

I also hope that an administrator or moderator will see this post and hopefully take some action to make this website friendlier to us.

Could be; thanks!

It seems the ad blocker I was using previously stopped working after a restart (perhaps update). I found a new one which is working for now. I'll continue to monitor the situation. :)

Thanks so much for walking me through a working solution. It's so challenging for me to slow down and do all the little steps necessary. I guess they call that "executive dysfunction". :think:

Within the last couple of weeks; I did a lifetime subscription membership here and it was only $10.00. Done. No more ads.

Thank you.

Streetwise, have you contacted an administrator about the charges? I hope that can be resolved to your satisfaction; and I appreciate the warning immensely!

I do have a couple of ad-blockers but they are not working well for this site. I will try to figure it out further. Thanks again for the advice.

I also hope that an administrator or moderator will see this post and hopefully take some action to make this website friendlier to us.

Please don't take my sense of humor the wrong way :D
I find it odd that a member who just several days ago said that his intellect in computer AI was too great for others to fully understand him would feel the need to ask us mere mortals for help about getting past an ad storm :p

All kidding aside, as other members have already stated, there are several very effective adblockers, many which are free that should serve you well.
Because all of our staff including me work on a volunteer basis, we are on the same level as the rest of the membership when it comes to supporting us.
I personally opted for a lifetime hitch here when it was offered at a substantial discount.
After thinking about it, I realized that by doing so I would no longer assist in our support revenues.
I've been here a little over 7 years now and consider this place my second dysfunctional home, so what the heck, I still support it.
At times when I see fit, I will use our anonymous gift option to provide a ride for members I feel deserve it.

I'm sure other members do it too, so who knows, maybe you are next!

I find it odd that a member who just several days ago said that his intellect in computer AI was too great for others to fully understand him would feel the need to ask us mere mortals for help about getting past an ad storm :p
full
(Admitting to a limitation is a good thing... ;))

I'm relieved that it was just ads that you felt attacked by. The title of this thread made me worried that someone had been trolling or something. In general, this is one of the nicer forum sites I have participated in.

Could be; thanks!

It seems the ad blocker I was using previously stopped working after a restart (perhaps update). I found a new one which is working for now. I'll continue to monitor the situation. :)

Thanks so much for walking me through a working solution. It's so challenging for me to slow down and do all the little steps necessary. I guess they call that "executive dysfunction". :think:

Something to keep in mind about adblock programs: They arent perfect. They cannot just block everything by themselves.

When you've got one running and some stupid ad sneaks by... and sooner or later it will... it's up to you, the user, to point it out to the program so that it can handle it.

Every adblocker has a different way of doing this, but the feature is pretty much universal among them.

Honestly I dont know how anyone uses the internet AT ALL without an adblocker. Particularly Youtube.

I also dont know how advertisers can be so fantastically stupid that they cant see that maybe... just MAYBE... irritating the funky heck outta the consumer MIGHT not be the best way to get them to buy something.

I also dont know how advertisers can be so fantastically stupid that they cant see that maybe... just MAYBE... irritating the funky heck outta the consumer MIGHT not be the best way to get them to buy something.

The only purchase I ever made after watching a TV commercial was a TV that demodulated the screaming ads they broadcast on late night TV.
Money well spent until I decided that TV was yet another massive waste of my time :D

I suggest downloading uBlock Origin. It works on Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera. You can access the GitHub page here, where it has links to download it for each browser.

I know what you mean. I have the same issue with ads and what you can do is download adblocker and it is fantastic.

I use a site for watching Korean dramas, but it is hard now, to find that site, when I look in search and mostly when I go into one site that looks exactly like the one I am used it, it is litered with intrusive and vulger ads, but as soon as I download adblocker, you highlight the area that you need gone and it does go and so, far has not returned, despite each episode of the drama puts me in to a new page, the ads are still not there.

I just put up with it, but l get upset when it help for autism with counseling . Like there is a cure, not. There really isn't a magical cure. I have learned more at this site and was able to talk to a friend about stims, and emotional delay tonite, l believe she is on the spectrum.

I got the life time membership from someone who gifted it to me.
That was very nice, but, my ad blocker was working fine anyway. :rolleyes:

Could be; thanks!

With the update it will depend if the update is any good look at the reviews for this month or the last update

New Threads

Top Bottom