• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't know where to post this, but since it concerns someone I'm in love with...

Lerena

My best friend is 36, married, and dating a 16-year old. Don't think that our huge age difference means anything. At times she sounds like she's still stuck in the mindset of a spoiled popular kid in middle school.

Now, tons of you are probably asking why a married woman is dating a minor. That would be my first question. I don't know either. While I do know her circumstances, going into the details in public is a bad idea.

Why am I posting it in here? Well, here's the gist. I need to help my best friend avoid prison, because I could be considered an accomplice if they ever found out, and I don't have the guts to confess to her crime.

But, being in love with her "boyfriend" definitely complicates my chances, especially since I've told both of them about my love for him. Sometimes it feels like my crush has Asperger's and I don't. He's really clingy and my best friend helped him feel loved and accepted, but at the price of him really falling for her [and she's married].

The best policy, therefore, would be to convince her that she's breaking the law. I can't find any official documentation on this being illegal. I've heard from various sources that there's an exemption if the age difference is 4 years or less.

The minor being 16, and me being 19, it theoretically wouldn't be illegal for us to date; however, the reason I'm doing this is solely to avoid getting myself put behind bars. I'm not taking any risks here. The law gets stricter everyday. And if I succeed in breaking the two up because of the law being against it, well, the man of my affections may not even talk to me for a long time. He may even hate me. But at this point, it isn't really my decision, nor theirs. If it's against the law, it's against the law whether I'm in love or not.

But, talking to her about this problem isn't something I can simply do. It involves proof and legal documentation to get her to understand. Even if she does understand, there's a chance she'll throw a fit if she loses the argument. It isn't a fit either, per say, just a bit of moping.

For further details on my situation, a PM is more appropriate. However, if there's good hard proof that dating this 16-year old is bad, I'd like to have it as back-up for my argument. It's morally wrong to date him, yes, but is it /illegal/? My best friend thinks it's legal and within reasonable limits. I'm worried.

Re: I don't know where to post this, but since it concerns someone I'm in love with..

What country do you live in? The age of consent is 16 in most Western countries. So your friend may not be breaking the law at all. The age of consent in any country is easily googled up.

There are exceptions - if the older person is in a position of responsibility (teacher, sports coach, guardian, etc) then it can still be illegal even if the younger person is above the age of consent. So how they met and in what capacity is very important. If they were just friends or friends of friends then it probably isn't a legal issue.

If you still feel that there is some risk of you getting into trouble over this, then distance yourself from the situation or seek legal advice.

Re: I don't know where to post this, but since it concerns someone I'm in love with..

I'm no longer worried about this, and may be distancing myself very soon. He hurt me and I can't have him in my life anymore. He lives in the United Kingdom, so apparently he isn't breaking the law. I'm just afraid I lack the strength to distance myself.

I'm no longer worried about this, and may be distancing myself very soon. He hurt me and I can't have him in my life anymore. He lives in the United Kingdom, so apparently he isn't breaking the law. I'm just afraid I lack the strength to distance myself.

Lerena, this is often the case for me, sometimes we mislead ourselves, other times they do it too. It feels bad at the beginning, but i know from experience you get over it. after all i've gone through, I feel risk ends to misery.

you give up so much hoping for a return, and what happens when you get nothing? disappointment. I'm not the person to suggest things nor help you. All I will say is keep a clear rationale head on at all times, and always treat them like a friend only.

New Threads

Top Bottom