• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't know what's going on.

MariaX

Hi, my name is Maria and I think that I MAY have Asperger's Syndrome. I could list out all my symptoms or what not but I know that I personally get tired reading long posts so I will keep this brief for now. I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago, but I have not yet seen a psychiatrist or therapist and expressed my concerns about this, yet I know I should soon. I just feel like what if I am wrong and making all of this up in my head. Some days that's what it feels like. Other day's I feel like my "symptoms" are more prominent. I am just very confused about what is going on with me. I was wondering if there is anybody I can talk to? Somebody who may know or understand what I am going through?
Thank You in advance for anyone who even opens and reads this post.
I also look forward to possibly getting to know some of you guys ^^

There are lots of people here who will have some idea of what you're going through. Glad you are here, it's been a great place to discover for many of us.

You may be interested in these Aspie tests . Lots of tests you can spend hours taking that may give you a better idea of whether you're on the autistic spectrum or not.

Go ahead and list your 'symptoms' if you feel like, it's likely that several of us would read them. Or don't list them if you like, too. Don't feel obliged to tell us anything you don't want to. Don't be embarrassed about telling us your problems either. That's a big part of what this site is about.

Welcome Maria.

You may have Autism. I was mistakenly diagnosed with ADD (ADHD without the "H"), but my therapist was like, "Nope!" If your really concerned, I suggest seeing a doctor. It can take a long time to get an appointment, and I was put on a waiting list for a good period of time.

welcome.png

Hello!

You'd get a clearer picture if you think back to how you were during your childhood. Since you have an ADHD diagnosis too that'll muddy things since they are both developmental conditions. However there are certain things with autism that can look like learned behaviour so the early these traits appear the more organic they will be. Any medical or school reports that detail your behaviour would be valuable if you have any of them stored away somewhere.

giphy (8).gif

Hey .. I joined here for the same reason. Thought I might have HFA and after reading posts by others found I had LOTS in common and that encouraged me to seek a professional diagnosis, which I am in the process of obtaining.

I also like that people are comfortable posting about really strange things that seem random to them but after getting feedback, find that there are so many others who share the same trait, feeling, thought, etc.
It's comforting to know that your weirdness is not weird at all, you are just surrounded by foreigners.

The first step is giving up the facade that one is "normal." It really helps!

Because it usually hasn't helped up to this point, either :)

There are lots of people here who will have some idea of what you're going through. Glad you are here, it's been a great place to discover for many of us.

You may be interested in these Aspie tests . Lots of tests you can spend hours taking that may give you a better idea of whether you're on the autistic spectrum or not.

Go ahead and list your 'symptoms' if you feel like, it's likely that several of us would read them. Or don't list them if you like, too. Don't feel obliged to tell us anything you don't want to. Don't be embarrassed about telling us your problems either. That's a big part of what this site is about.

Welcome Maria.

Welcome Maria.
Thank you for this. It did help me out a bit. I have taken several aspie tests and my score was always in the range of most likely Aspergers. But since I know those tests aren't actual diagnoses I am going to try to talk to my psychiatrists or therapist about this (well once I get a therapist, it's a work in progress ). I might start a different thread to explain my symptoms a bit more and see if anyone can help. Thank you ^^

hello maria, nice to meet you =) it's a good thing that you bring up this question; it means you care very much about it and therefore you care for yourself, which is valueble trait. it is about you and your well-being so it is the right thing to venture forth seeking awnsers. [bravo!=)] i hope very much you find out soon. i wish you best of luck!

i very much know that feeling of not knowing, and the situation of waiting - deciding one day that one has AS and the next deciding that one has not. the more one thinks about it the less certain it becomes. it is very frustrating, i guess - since this is in many cases a question of identity. an identity which might be unclear and muddy; which one might be missing due to over-adapting to conditions one might not feel comfortable with - or one might even be suffering of axienty or depression treated for wrong causes and thus one is not improving.

however, i am quite sure that all human beings know this situation in one or another way. so you may be very nervous, not knowing what to think or what to be. but be assured that wether diagnosed AS or ASD or not that you are alright the way you are. =) be who you want to be, i'd say =) i never dared and i regret.

[[then, it may be an issue of greater importance if one has AS and doesn't know for certain. it is not easy to diagnose, i would say, even by a professional. it is maze. since i am very sure, that there are autistic personalities as well without actually beeing impaired in quite the same way, one might agree that there is no exact line - same as it is an autistic spectrum raging from severe to mild, plus comorbidities - there are other disorders that may develop on basis of AS traits and cover them up; yet there are other disorders that present similar impairments, and nobody knows anyway.
it used to be called schizoid [in fact, in germany most receive AS by pschiatric professionals and, at the same time, schizoid personality disorder by psychological professionals]; also, i have read AS were sometimes included in hystrionic personality disorder. anyway, therein among others were included actual AS and those who seemed to be such.[AS was not known then] some people, i've read somewhere, even have argued today to declare AS a personality disorder, and who knows: maybe it is. our brains grow the way our personality grows, to some extent - and there is nothing wrong with it; though if it need to be a 'disorder' i do not know - generally i prefer 'structure' for all kinds of disorders. still, if one is impaired but not acknowdledged it can be a dire matter.]]

i was firsted diagnosed ADHD, which was treated with ritalin/methylphenidat. yet, that didn't actually solve very much - so only afterwards it was explained that the hyperactive ADHD problems might result/be part of ASD, which i thouroughly surpressed at the time. i then made another appointment; though before that i read tons of scientific papers since i couldn't stand waiting months for the appointment to be due. therefore i may [possibly! i do not dare say i know anything] or may not be able to provide you with some [to be seen as non-professional] information on some of your points, which i gathered from my research. such would be on executive function, theory of mind/mentalizing and mindblindness, central coherence, sense of self and others, perception and perspective and others.

Hi, my name is Maria and I think that I MAY have Asperger's Syndrome. I could list out all my symptoms or what not but I know that I personally get tired reading long posts so I will keep this brief for now. I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago, but I have not yet seen a psychiatrist or therapist and expressed my concerns about this, yet I know I should soon. I just feel like what if I am wrong and making all of this up in my head. Some days that's what it feels like. Other day's I feel like my "symptoms" are more prominent. I am just very confused about what is going on with me. I was wondering if there is anybody I can talk to? Somebody who may know or understand what I am going through?
Thank You in advance for anyone who even opens and reads this post.
I also look forward to possibly getting to know some of you guys ^^
Many of us, myself included, were diagnosed with ADD and many other psychological conditions before discovering that those were all symptoms of the underlying problem. Keep learning everything you can about aspergers, and the answer will be revealed. Welcome, and good luck!

The first step is giving up the facade that one is "normal." It really helps!

Because it usually hasn't helped up to this point, either :)
Yea I have started to do that, drop the facade that everything is normal because I feel the complete opposite of normal. And since doing so I do feel like I understand myself a little bit more and I feel like I can identify my symptoms a lot more.

Yea I have started to do that, drop the facade that everything is normal because I feel the complete opposite of normal. And since doing so I do feel like I understand myself a little bit more and I feel like I can identify my symptoms a lot more.
If being NT is considered normal,then I will pass once again ;)

hello maria, nice to meet you =) it's a good thing that you bring up this question; it means you care very much about it and therefore you care for yourself, which is valueble trait. it is about you and your well-being so it is the right thing to venture forth seeking awnsers. [bravo!=)] i hope very much you find out soon. i wish you best of luck!

i very much know that feeling of not knowing, and the situation of waiting - deciding one day that one has AS and the next deciding that one has not. the more one thinks about it the less certain it becomes. it is very frustrating, i guess - since this is in many cases a question of identity. an identity which might be unclear and muddy; which one might be missing due to over-adapting to conditions one might not feel comfortable with - or one might even be suffering of axienty or depression treated for wrong causes and thus one is not improving.

however, i am quite sure that all human beings know this situation in one or another way. so you may be very nervous, not knowing what to think or what to be. but be assured that wether diagnosed AS or ASD or not that you are alright the way you are. =) be who you want to be, i'd say =) i never dared and i regret.

[[then, it may be an issue of greater importance if one has AS and doesn't know for certain. it is not easy to diagnose, i would say, even by a professional. it is maze. since i am very sure, that there are autistic personalities as well without actually beeing impaired in quite the same way, one might agree that there is no exact line - same as it is an autistic spectrum raging from severe to mild, plus comorbidities - there are other disorders that may develop on basis of AS traits and cover them up; yet there are other disorders that present similar impairments, and nobody knows anyway.
it used to be called schizoid [in fact, in germany most receive AS by pschiatric professionals and, at the same time, schizoid personality disorder by psychological professionals]; also, i have read AS were sometimes included in hystrionic personality disorder. anyway, therein among others were included actual AS and those who seemed to be such.[AS was not known then] some people, i've read somewhere, even have argued today to declare AS a personality disorder, and who knows: maybe it is. our brains grow the way our personality grows, to some extent - and there is nothing wrong with it; though if it need to be a 'disorder' i do not know - generally i prefer 'structure' for all kinds of disorders. still, if one is impaired but not acknowdledged it can be a dire matter.]]

i was firsted diagnosed ADHD, which was treated with ritalin/methylphenidat. yet, that didn't actually solve very much - so only afterwards it was explained that the hyperactive ADHD problems might result/be part of ASD, which i thouroughly surpressed at the time. i then made another appointment; though before that i read tons of scientific papers since i couldn't stand waiting months for the appointment to be due. therefore i may [possibly! i do not dare say i know anything] or may not be able to provide you with some [to be seen as non-professional] information on some of your points, which i gathered from my research. such would be on executive function, theory of mind/mentalizing and mindblindness, central coherence, sense of self and others, perception and perspective and others.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I was in school all day and very busy with studying for finals and all that. I have been very surprised with how many responses I have been getting it actually is making me a little anxious because I feel like I have to reply to every one or else I come off as rude. But I guess this is a good point where I can start off talking about some of my symptoms. The anxiousness being the first.

I have always been an anxious person. It was only when I started high school that I began to get very stressed out to the point where I basically had anxiety (which makes sense because my mom also has very bad anxiety that got worse during her teen years). But apart from school I have always been bad at social situations and communication. I have never made friends that easily which is surprising because sometimes I enjoy other people, especially new people. I find them fascinating and a lot of the times I do this thing where I like to "study" them. Everybody is so different and I like figuring out what makes these people different and unique. I guess, in a way, it has been what helped me get through social situations because I sometimes catch myself mimicking these characteristics that I see others find appealing in people. I have been told by my friends that I sort of "morph" into a slightly different version of them, if that makes sense. At this point, overall I come off as a very normal person. Even so, when I come across social situations with people I do not know I get very frustrated because I cannot keep a conversation going and sometimes I don't even want to. Especially right now because I don't like being in very large groups.

That brings me to another point. My parents often times drag me to these huge parties their friends throw and they love it, but I absolutely despise it. The amount of people is way too much for me to handle because of all the different sounds and conversations that are going on at the same time, and I can't keep track of it all. And it gets very very loud and I do not like that. Overall, it just makes me feel very overwhelmed and frustrated.

Along with this, even though I do really love spending time with my friends, sometimes even that get's a little too much. When this happens I like to be left alone to just do my own thing. To recuperate. Recently my mom has been coming home early because she had minor surgery where she previously stayed home for a whole two weeks, and now it has been almost three weeks that I have not gotten many moments alone. I feel bad because I love my mom and she just wants to spend time with me, but I really just want to be left alone for now.

Those are some of the biggest symptom like things I have noticed so far but here are a few other things that go on:
- I tend to always find something to be very "obsessed" over. These periods don't last very long though, usually between 1-6 months before I find something new to absorb myself in.
- I am not particular fascinated by numbers but for some reason I am very good at memorizing birthdays.
- I have recently been good at memorizing a lot of thing actually, almost like a photographic memory. Almost, but not really. It's really weird though because this a very recent thing that has been happening. My memory was usually just normal before. I don't know if this is relevant but I added it anyways.
- It is hard for me to pay attention in school. Always has been, hence the ADHD diagnosis. It just never interfered with school before high school because I everything before high school was very easy for me so I didn't need to pay attention.
- I have been having severe migraines with an aura for 3 years now (it started freshman year of high school). I get them anywhere between 1-4 times a month. We still do not yet know my exact triggers, but my doctor believes they may be triggered by an occasional sensitivity to light and/or sound. I read that aspies can sometimes be sensitive to light and/or sound.
- Sometimes I feel 'normal'. Other times I literally feel like an alien compared to every one else. People can just be too confusing sometimes lmao.

I now realize this is a very long post, and I am sorry for that. I tend to rant sometimes. Even though it seems like this all may be symptoms on the surface, the more I think about them the more invalid I feel as though they become, which is why I am confused as to what the heck is going on with me.
Thank You for your help in advance ^^

Welcome Maria.
I took two of those tests that were from the link you had gave me (thank you for that by the way!). On the Autism Spectrum Quotient I got a 34/50. And on the Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale- Revised (RAADS-R) I got a total score of 131.0. I personally did not expect myself to get a high score, so this really did open me up more to the possibility of being an Aspie.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I was in school all day and very busy with studying for finals and all that. I have been very surprised with how many responses I have been getting it actually is making me a little anxious because I feel like I have to reply to every one or else I come off as rude. But I guess this is a good point where I can start off talking about some of my symptoms. The anxiousness being the first.

I have always been an anxious person. It was only when I started high school that I began to get very stressed out to the point where I basically had anxiety (which makes sense because my mom also has very bad anxiety that got worse during her teen years). But apart from school I have always been bad at social situations and communication. I have never made friends that easily which is surprising because sometimes I enjoy other people, especially new people. I find them fascinating and a lot of the times I do this thing where I like to "study" them. Everybody is so different and I like figuring out what makes these people different and unique. I guess, in a way, it has been what helped me get through social situations because I sometimes catch myself mimicking these characteristics that I see others find appealing in people. I have been told by my friends that I sort of "morph" into a slightly different version of them, if that makes sense. At this point, overall I come off as a very normal person. Even so, when I come across social situations with people I do not know I get very frustrated because I cannot keep a conversation going and sometimes I don't even want to. Especially right now because I don't like being in very large groups.

That brings me to another point. My parents often times drag me to these huge parties their friends throw and they love it, but I absolutely despise it. The amount of people is way too much for me to handle because of all the different sounds and conversations that are going on at the same time, and I can't keep track of it all. And it gets very very loud and I do not like that. Overall, it just makes me feel very overwhelmed and frustrated.

Along with this, even though I do really love spending time with my friends, sometimes even that get's a little too much. When this happens I like to be left alone to just do my own thing. To recuperate. Recently my mom has been coming home early because she had minor surgery where she previously stayed home for a whole two weeks, and now it has been almost three weeks that I have not gotten many moments alone. I feel bad because I love my mom and she just wants to spend time with me, but I really just want to be left alone for now.

Those are some of the biggest symptom like things I have noticed so far but here are a few other things that go on:
- I tend to always find something to be very "obsessed" over. These periods don't last very long though, usually between 1-6 months before I find something new to absorb myself in.
- I am not particular fascinated by numbers but for some reason I am very good at memorizing birthdays.
- I have recently been good at memorizing a lot of thing actually, almost like a photographic memory. Almost, but not really. It's really weird though because this a very recent thing that has been happening. My memory was usually just normal before. I don't know if this is relevant but I added it anyways.
- It is hard for me to pay attention in school. Always has been, hence the ADHD diagnosis. It just never interfered with school before high school because I everything before high school was very easy for me so I didn't need to pay attention.
- I have been having severe migraines with an aura for 3 years now (it started freshman year of high school). I get them anywhere between 1-4 times a month. We still do not yet know my exact triggers, but my doctor believes they may be triggered by an occasional sensitivity to light and/or sound. I read that aspies can sometimes be sensitive to light and/or sound.
- Sometimes I feel 'normal'. Other times I literally feel like an alien compared to every one else. People can just be too confusing sometimes lmao.

I now realize this is a very long post, and I am sorry for that. I tend to rant sometimes. Even though it seems like this all may be symptoms on the surface, the more I think about them the more invalid I feel as though they become, which is why I am confused as to what the heck is going on with me.

it appears that we must be twins =) except for migraines [there may be many reasons for that, i guess. i know nothing of this matter; but taking an MRI just to be sure, might be a good idea. i had one taken, too.]

in short, i would say there is hardly any chance that you are not an aspie.

Last edited:

in direct reply:

- i love to study people, like you. i do it all the time, and i am very obsessive about it. i have copied numerous people so that i am able to act and look like them - in order to fit into various social situations. you mimick your friends out of interest, or maybe because you feel you fit in better that way - i know both. it helps you get along better, though, when confronted with social matters. that seems very familiar. plus, not knowing what to say or do next during a conversation has provided me with one my greatest obsessions: observing how people talk and what they about and when - and then i copy all of it. =) including voice, language, facial expression, movement of the body etc. - i am a freak, probably.

- then, huge parties an social events with lots of people are tiring and overwhelming for me, like they are for you. i rarely attend such events, and i dislike them especially for the social manners you ought to present, and for the niceties that are just lies.

- you have the need to recuperate from being with people, like me. being alone is important; it is quiet, one can think in peace. still, you like people, and you like to socialize - just not quite as much as other people do. sometimes it is too much, or you have some social axienty that keeps your from talking to people. i have a lot of social anxienty. it comes from the negative experience to have little intuition with social matters. you can look up verbal and nonverbal communication

then, you are more interested in specific aspects of the people you like so socialize with - it's not so much the matter of talking to people for the sake of talking, that you care about, but more a matter of who you are talking to. maybe you value your conversational partner for his specific traits more, than you value him for just talking to you - like most ordinary people.

- you have an eye for the detail and defining features - so do i [a trait of perception of great use! you see what others do not see].
plus, this means you are good at analyzing and observing, seeing differences and similarities; maybe you like to organize your knowledge in your mind, or in any other way. you tend observe your sourroundings in a very precise way. most people do not, be assured.

- you like to obsess with things. like me. this is a great talent - i provides you with tons of knowledge that others do not have, just by coincidence of being interested. focus this on educational and employment matters in a way that fits you, and i am sure you will be very successful. the more you study your special capabilities - as you already have noticed - the more they will improve, and they may eventually become powerful tools for you, which will provide you with an advantage. it is worth studying the functioning of asperger's/ASD minds, although they are all different [no need to like numbers - i hate numbers], to improve your skills; and you will become more self-accpeting and self-confident concerning the symptoms [which aren't symptoms, really. anxiety is symptom, yes. i'd say, what you have found about yourself are traits that differ from most people, and that's fine - something to proud of, even] - this will help with axienty.

- i have felt alien very much in my life. that is a safe sign, if you are still unsure about it. this comes from a deficit in mentalizing [thinking about what others think]; maybe you feel that you cannot quite grasp other people in your mind. they may seem 'flat' or difficult to access. maybe it is difficult for you to lay out to someone the traits of character of your friends. you can look up the terms mentalizing and theory of mind as well as perspective-taking in aspergers's/ ASD; deficits in these make up for the alien-feel

- as for school: i was a failure during most of it. i thought i was stupid. well, turned out i wasn't, but that was some years later. i'm very sure that you are very intelligent since you have observed yourself in such detail - not many people do; not many people are even able to. intelligent people tend to be uber-critical with themselves - because they consciously perceive their doing and thinking.
maybe it is just not your way of working and learning in school. maybe something needs to interesting so you pay attention - there is nothing wrong there, i think. then i am sure, you would do better if the environment of work were adapted to your needs - maybe you are more spontaneous, chaotic, focused on detail, missing the big picture, yet flow-like if your really interested. you mentionend ADHD problems and they often are to varying extent part of ASD. you can look up central coherence and executive function in asperger's/ASD and ADHD/ASD - overlap; ADHD is a problem of executive function only; ASD is a problem of 3 concepts: theory of mind (by baron-cohen), central coherence (by uta frith) and executive function (which is a problem in many things)

Last edited:
it appears that we must be twins =) except for migraines [there may be many reasons for that, i guess. i know nothing of this matter; but an taking an MRI just to be sure, might be a good idead. i had one taken, too.]

in short, i would say there is hardly any chance that you are not an aspie.
Yea when I first started to have my migraines they got an MRI and everything was fine. They also took my blood a lot and everything was normal with that too. But thank you so much, this really helped ^^

New Threads

Top Bottom