• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

D'Andre

Humans are so difficult for me to deal with. They are exhausting at work. Even the nice ones. I wish I could work in a quiet cubicle away from everyone. I work where crowds of people are and I'm realizing more and more how it effects me when I get home. I'm amped up. My nerves are itching all night. I'm pacing, and have no idea how to function. Sorry for the venting but I get so much out of talking with you guys.

This sounds very difficult for you. Sometimes I have been in jobs that are not well suited to how I am. Either due to the work content or the work conditions or both. Usually I stay if I need the money, or love aspects of the work enough, but longer term I would look for a different job or conditions.

I hear ya' brother. Although, my typical response is simply mental and physical exhaustion. I mean, I get home,...seriously thank the Lord for my Tesla Autopilot system,...my mind is fried and I probably am not the best behind the wheel after putting in 12-16hrs,...then flying down the highway at 80+mph with the flow of traffic in my area. I get home, greet my wife, grab something to drink and eat (I have only taken a meal break sometime around 11am,...now it's 8pm or so). Then, in bed by 9pm,...assuming I got home that early. Then, back up at 4:30am to get my rear end kicked all over again,...or, on a day off, sleep in to 7am,...and then take another nap in the afternoon. It can take a good 3 days off in a row,...rarely happens,...but it takes about this long before the mental fog of exhaustion wears off.

This sounds very difficult for you. Sometimes I have been in jobs that are not well suited to how I am. Either due to the work content or the work conditions or both. Usually I stay if I need the money, or love aspects of the work enough, but longer term I would look for a different job or conditions.
Yeah! I'm certifying to be a voice teacher so hopefully I'll be able yo switch to fulltime there

I hear ya' brother. Although, my typical response is simply mental and physical exhaustion. I mean, I get home,...seriously thank the Lord for my Tesla Autopilot system,...my mind is fried and I probably am not the best behind the wheel after putting in 12-16hrs,...then flying down the highway at 80+mph with the flow of traffic in my area. I get home, greet my wife, grab something to drink and eat (I have only taken a meal break sometime around 11am,...now it's 8pm or so). Then, in bed by 9pm,...assuming I got home that early. Then, back up at 4:30am to get my rear end kicked all over again,...or, on a day off, sleep in to 7am,...and then take another nap in the afternoon. It can take a good 3 days off in a row,...rarely happens,...but it takes about this long before the mental fog of exhaustion wears off.
I'm feeling so much of what you're saying. I don't work that many hours so I commend you!

I've said this before, but that kind of work pressure is just unacceptable for a society to place on a person, and it's the direct result of a society where profits are valued above people. The expected overwork and understaffing in professions like medicine, teaching, nursing that I'm aware of through my own work or that of my friends, and just in general since managerial culture exploded anyway, is inhuman, sickening and exploitative. No wonder there is a mental and physical health epidemic, with people worked to the nines while others have no employment, hardly anybody having stability (except management in most organisations), and insufficient recharge and personal relationship time, not to mention appalling "food" in supermarkets and fast food places so that there is generalised malnutrition on top of everything...

/end rant

not to mention appalling "food" in supermarkets and fast food places so that there is generalised malnutrition on top of everything...
A lot of people from the newer generations just don't really now how to cook for themselves anymore, which is a shame because it's not only healthier but also cheaper and more fun (maybe because i don't have to do it everyday). Convenience traps people in dependency and incompetence.

A lot of people from the newer generations just don't really now how to cook for themselves anymore, which is a shame because it's not only healthier but also cheaper and more fun (maybe because i don't have to do it everyday). Convenience traps people in dependency and incompetence.

Do you like to cook, @phantom? There's a fair few foodies/hobbits on this forum, always happy to talk food and compare notes. I reckon preparing your own fresh healthy food is a top investment in health, both physical and mental/emotional. At our house we pair our love of healthy delicious food with a love of hiking - or we'd be rolling by now! :)

PS: @Gerald Wilgus is truly dangerous when he starts talking about food! ;)

The expected overwork and understaffing in professions like medicine, teaching, nursing that I'm aware of through my own work or that of my friends, and just in general since managerial culture exploded anyway, is inhuman, sickening and exploitative.

Well, in these professions, I don't think it is "expected overwork" in the sense that this is "what the job is" per se. It's more that there is such a shortage of these positions. It's like that old saying, "Many hands make light work." Well, if there simply aren't that many hands,...it makes for heavy work. At least in medicine, there are many, many positions open, no trouble getting a job anywhere, everyone is hiring,...simply too few applicants,...and lately, departments have been gutted due to the CoVID pandemic,...we lost 40% of our staff,...just crushed us. Most people just left the field and on to other things. The other thing is, in most job markets, wages are based upon the value you give to the company, not the work per se. However, in medicine and teaching,...not the case,...wages are purposely limited,...every school district and every health care system compares their wages to others and then agree to keep them within a few percent,..."to stay competitive",...but it's "price fixing" in practice. It's basically to keep costs down and to keep people from bouncing from one place to another,..."The grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence."

New Threads

Top Bottom