• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I do you know if I did this...

FIVER

I am a 60 year old woman who has been through it all.
When my children were diagnosed, that's when I found out that I was as well. Extended family also..mother, father, sister, brother, grandfather and uncle.
Learned from school of hard knocks. Raised to such it up.
Degree in Psychology BA and MA counseling. Never practiced.
Questions welcome.

Wow that's a lot of your family all diagnosed. Were your children diagnosed recently or when young? Was everyone diagnosed with Aspergers ? Did you enjoy your trainings? Will you yet practice as a counsellor? Plenty of counsellors train later in life, so you are still young in that arena!

My grandfather was not diagnosed. In retrospect, he had all of the markers.
No, not all Aspergers. One family member was not verbal until age 6 and then progressed. With my family...I was very intense with their development. Probably would have been worse off if I didn't push. I did have a psychologist commend me for my work with my children.
With my education, I completed my clinical where I saw patients but I did not complete the internship. My education was useful information for myself and family. I did a lot of research finding different therapies. It was a relief and grief over my diagnosis.

A lot of people get into psychology maybe unknowly to figure out what is wrong with them, it's a known thing about the profession. Glad it worked out for you.

Going into psychology was mainly to figure out other people. Why they are the way they are..
and yes I ran into a lot of "interesting characters" mainly the professors.

Sounds like you made a great effort and a great job in raising your family !

I am currently studying my BSc in Applied Psychology. The reason you studied Psychology,is one of reasons i wanted to study it, i am also very intrigued to understand the behaviour of other people,why the act as they act etc.

Sounds like you made a great effort and a great job in raising your family !

I am currently studying my BSc in Applied Psychology. The reason you studied Psychology,is one of reasons i wanted to study it, i am also very intrigued to understand the behaviour of other people,why the act as they act etc.

That is great! I'm sure things have changed in the psychology world. When I was in graduate school, we had the DSM-3
Please share from time to time what you are learning. I would be very interested.

That is great! I'm sure things have changed in the psychology world. When I was in graduate school, we had the DSM-3
Please share from time to time what you are learning. I would be very interested.

Alright :) I would like to hear your opinions also :D

New Threads

Top Bottom