• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I ditched my lawyer...

Lemon Zing

Why have one that's useless and doesn't speak up?

The difficult part is that any other lawyers I contact, want to call him to see what this is about.

I hope you made the right decision. It is common practice for a new lawyer to contact the former lawyer for insight about the case - and insight about the client - and to have files and documents transferred to the new lawyer.

Successor attorneys usually are hesitant to accept a client who fired his previous attorney, especially if the previous attorney is known to be competent. They don't want to represent "problem clients" who think they know more than the attorney or who refuse to follow the attorney's advice and instructions.

Worked as a mediator between attorneys and clients when the working relationship soured. Most of the attorneys did work with me. I sent maybe one or two on to the ODC who dealt more severely with them. So you may have an attorney who just has no motivation to represent you.

You posted angrily about your lawyer before, and my comment was that you seemed to have no insight into your own contribution to your difficulties.

Now you're going to have trouble getting anyone to represent you, and if you manage to, you will have trouble working productively with them.

I don't remember what your case was about, but regardless, it's extremely hard to represent yourself and it's hard to have a case turn out the way you hope without a good lawyer on your side.

Sometimes you have to try to get along with your lawyer (equally a doctor, therapist, teacher, etc.) but firing them is not the best solution. I did not like the lawyer who handled my divorce, but things turned out decently anyway. I never talked crossly with her, I seethed about her incompetence and tardiness but I did so privately - because I could not afford to replace her

It's hard for you to judge me when you weren't in this situation.

There's probably no time to get another lawyer. I can just talk for myself. Maybe that's better anyway.

I'm not sure they let you speak for yourself, they'll probably make you use a legal aid (free) lawyer, and they usually tell you to plead guilty, cos it's easier for all concerned, except you. well that's the system in this country, not sure about UK.

Doesn't your situation involve accusations and convictions for stalking female social workers assigned to you? You really need to be represented by counsel. Otherwise, you could make some damning admissions without even realizing what you are doing and anger the judge who definitely prefers to deal with professional attorneys and not emotional lay people who lack understanding of the substantive and procedural law.

Don't waste the court's time by flinging everything against the wall to see what sticks. Law is best practiced like a surgical knife, not a baseball bat.

Good luck.

It's hard for you to judge me when you weren't in this situation.

There's probably no time to get another lawyer. I can just talk for myself. Maybe that's better anyway.
Actually, I found it quite easy to judge you. And so will the judge in your case.

Paul

It's too late to hate the system and try to flake out on what is going down. You should enquire to be represented by a nonprofit if possible in the UK. Are there any Autism agencies that will refer or represent you? Do you have a dx of Autism to bring to court? The judge will be very upset having to deal with you and not a professional, maybe think about this again before you decide.

Understand you are frustrated with your attorney, but it's a endlessly long complicated case and most attorneys don't want to step in this late in the game.

Simply put, I was not ungrateful towards my lawyer. But ultimately, it didn't seem like he was doing enough to help me. It's not just about receiving bail, or whatever. He didn't tell the court about the support workers lying. And the last time we were in court, he told me he would tell the sheriff that I got slandered by this woman I messaged years ago on Twitter, but he didn't.

I cannot keep pleading guilty to stupid charges when people were provoking me, I get the heat, and they get away with things and basically laugh it off. It doesn't work like that.

Ultimately, I have to do what I think is right. I know the whole predicament is dumb, but it is what it is.

New Threads

Top Bottom