• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I could use some weighted blanket advice

kay

I'm planning a long, stressful road trip and realize it's time to go ahead and get a weighted blanket. Any thoughts on what to look for in a weighted blanket and the best place to buy? It will need to be travel friendly but otherwise I don't quite know what I'm looking for.

And how do you know what size and weight to get without being able to see one personally before purchasing one?

And how do you know what size and weight to get without being able to see one personally before purchasing one?
I just made one for my son, it was definitely not hard, even though it was my first time sewing, but most definitely a labor of love as it was really tedious.
The way you want it to be is that it covers you with very little overhang, so that's how big you need it to be.
For weight, it is said that it should be 10% of your weight plus 1 lb, i.e. if you weigh 100 lbs than 10% of your weight is 10 lbs plus 1 lb would make the ideal blanket weight for you 11 lbs. Some people like more weight though, so you have to keep that in mind.
If you're interested in making your own, there are many YouTube videos explaining it in detail. I think I even came across one that was 'no sewing involved'.
Good luck!

have you got an occupational therapist? they can help you.
my old occupational therapist from the social services intellectual disability team used my details-i think weight and height to match the weight and ordered it from sensory direct- Weighted Blankets, Weighted Jackets, Toys & Resources for Autism & Special Needs i have the heaviest version available-it is barely liftable i have to have support with it because of my severe back damage,i also have a lap blanket from sensory direct-also aquired through the OT,you can carry it easy;i can get you a photo of it later if you want i use it a lot when i go out in the car or im inside and sitting up

I'm planning a long, stressful road trip and realize it's time to go ahead and get a weighted blanket. Any thoughts on what to look for in a weighted blanket and the best place to buy? It will need to be travel friendly but otherwise I don't quite know what I'm looking for.
i have two weighted blankets one of them a lap blanket-very portable you can use it while your sat down and carry it anywhere;the other one is so heavy i have to have support carrying it,both came from the occupational therapist of the social services intellectual disability team,she used my weight/height etc to match the weight of the blanket,she got them from sensory direct,a shop i buy my sensory stuff from: Weighted Blankets, Weighted Jackets, Toys & Resources for Autism & Special Needs i strongly recommend sensory direct as theyre very reliable and superb quality.
if you would like i can make a video or photo of the blankets later when i am home.

I just made one for my son, it was definitely not hard, even though it was my first time sewing, but most definitely a labor of love as it was really tedious.
The way you want it to be is that it covers you with very little overhang, so that's how big you need it to be.
For weight, it is said that it should be 10% of your weight plus 1 lb, i.e. if you weigh 100 lbs than 10% of your weight is 10 lbs plus 1 lb would make the ideal blanket weight for you 11 lbs. Some people like more weight though, so you have to keep that in mind.
If you're interested in making your own, there are many YouTube videos explaining it in detail. I think I even came across one that was 'no sewing involved'.
Good luck!

How long did it take to make the blanket?

I would love a weighted blanket, but it is the cost that has stopped me from getting one so far. I may just make my own at some point, as I can sew and I have a sewing machine, but whether I'll actually get round to it is another thing :rolleyes:

Out of curiousity, are you looking for a weighted blanket for sleeping while you are away? Or while driving? Cause if it's for the driving part, you might want to look into a weighted lap pad or vest. Less expensive than the blankets.

Out of curiousity, are you looking for a weighted blanket for sleeping while you are away? Or while driving? Cause if it's for the driving part, you might want to look into a weighted lap pad or vest. Less expensive than the blankets.

I'll just be using it for sleeping. A throw size might work for me, I'm kinda small anyways. Right now I just pile heavy blankets on myself but they won't travel so well.

I would love a weighted blanket, but it is the cost that has stopped me from getting one so far. I may just make my own at some point, as I can sew and I have a sewing machine, but whether I'll actually get round to it is another thing :rolleyes:

That's what I'm realizing. I knew they were expensive but until I really started looking I didn't know that I could easily end up spending 250$. My mom just gave me her old sewing machine and I think I may need to make myself use it.

How long did it take to make the blanket?
To be honest it took a couple of weeks but that's only because I had to work on it around my busy schedule. But it can certainly be a one day project, if you can dedicate 3-4 hours for it.
I made my son a 70"x51" 6 lb-blanket, using just regular cotton blend and after I was done I covered it in fleece, ALL that cost me around $50! I know I would have paid a lot more to purchase it exactly like I wanted and I even chose a print that he loves.
So, it's really worth it if you have the time. The biggest expense is really the poly pellets, besides that you can use fabric that's on sale and you'll be all set.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

I needed a new bathrobe and ended up with something that weighs a ton; I use it as a weighted blanket. Multipurpose kind of thing.

Thanks for all the info! I have researched and researched and can't quite decide what to do. Making one would be so much cheaper but I'm not too good at finishing projects. It looks like I want to get a 14 lb because I like a lot of weight, more than recommended. Glass beads and fine grade river stone are two alternatives to poly-beads that I find interesting. Suppose to make a less bulky blanket.

i have two weighted blankets one of them a lap blanket-very portable you can use it while your sat down and carry it anywhere;the other one is so heavy i have to have support carrying it,both came from the occupational therapist of the social services intellectual disability team,she used my weight/height etc to match the weight of the blanket,she got them from sensory direct,a shop i buy my sensory stuff from: Weighted Blankets, Weighted Jackets, Toys & Resources for Autism & Special Needs i strongly recommend sensory direct as theyre very reliable and superb quality.
if you would like i can make a video or photo of the blankets later when i am home.

If you want to post a picture of your blanket, please do, I still need all the info I can get. How heavy is the really heavy blanket? Do you think the recommendations on the charts are accurate? After weighing the blankets I pile on myself I feel like they might be a bit on the conservative side.

I made my weighted blanket in about 5 hours, it wasn't difficult despite having not used a sewing machine in over a decade, it's just very tedious (unless you like sewing, in which case I guess it could be fun).

mine weighs in at 18lbs, which is a split between the 5-10% of body weight +1lb. My therapist and I discussed the weight before the blanket was ordered. I didnt want it to heavy as we keep our heat set low at night in the winter time so there are more blankets on the bed. But I wanted it heavy enough for summer time use with just the weighted blanket and the normal bed sheet. Mike

If you want to post a picture of your blanket, please do, I still need all the info I can get. How heavy is the really heavy blanket? Do you think the recommendations on the charts are accurate? After weighing the blankets I pile on myself I feel like they might be a bit on the conservative side.
hi @kay i will make you a video tonight which will show up the blankets better than a photo.
another point id like to make about the sensory direct blanket is that you can take each individual bean bag out to wash the blanket so if it gets dirty your not stuck with it.

with the full sized weighted blanket,i cant guess how heavy it is,but i am 16 stone and i think my height is 5foot 9 inches and i struggle greatly to lift and move the blanket, it is very heavy.

the weighted lap pad is quite heavy but is also light enough to carry around with you,i carry it in my sensory rucksack.

sorry if im just making an obvious point but if you like a lot of pressure your best off going with the heaviest blanket and ignoring the size vs weight criteria,if you are a weight seeker dont go for something medium or lightweight as they dont calm you down,ive tried a lightweight weighted blanket in a sensory room before and it sucked.

New Threads

Top Bottom