• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't express my feelings anymore

Writing and speaking aren't the only ways of expressing feelings.
For example, there's signing, dancing, using art to make visible images....

To what degree do you believe you are managing to get across the
depth and breadth of your feelings? How big of a gap is there between
how you feel and what you want other people to know about how
you feel?

And how much is your dis-satisfaction with your self-expression based
on a lack of receptivity of other people toward what you say or write?

Are you going through a high stress period? When I’m feeling overwhelmed with something (life) I am temporarily in a numb-yet-suffering time when I am not sure how I feel and can’t express myself.
I look for stressors, triggers from my past. Once I figure it out I feel better, but it takes a while with a lot of self care and patience.
If I’m understanding you correctly.

Age? Any new medications? Do you feel the emotions? Anything traumatic happen recently that has caused you to just not care anymore? Or just lost your knack?
I agree with @tree and just adding other ways of expressing. Like I have a hard time expressing that I care about someone going through a very difficult time so I make her something I think she'll be able to use in the situation. So gifts or other gestures if it concerns others.

I would like that. I think the urge to express our feelings is new.

I am not saying that if you need to, you shouldn't. Everyone has to decide that.

But for me, I REALLY wish I never had anyone tell me that I had to express my feelings and get it out. It does not get it out and further, when you tell someone how you feel, it often it makes no impression at all because they just want to tell you how THEY feel.

It is rare to find a friend where you can sit down and they hear you and you hear them. Even therapists only care as far as your insurance allows them to care.

Maybe your family likes to hear how you feel? But do you always want to listen to how your sister feels and your brothers and mom and dad and aunt and uncle?

I mean, I do like to know, but often it's hidden. I know as a person with ASD, there are family who don't like me based on their behavior, but they would never express that. So if I express that I feel they don't like me, they just gather up yet ANOTHER piece of information on how I feel while still hiding their own.

Maybe you could tell me more. Who is it that you want to express your feelings to? DO you feel them inside? Or so you not even feel them anymore?

I do not understand. I am not trying to be smart here.

Maybe it my ASD, but I never understood the value of expressing feelings and I hope to learn more from this post.

New Threads

Top Bottom