• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am obsessed with studying

SomeRandomAspie

Unspecified origin
I have a strange obsession. I love studying. Anything from trading to science to math. When I was 11 I read the wealth of nations by Adam smith in 2 days. I'm only 15 and I love doing complex math in my head. I'm an all around nerd but it's not like I'm antisocial or anything. I have plenty of friends and a few who have been and one who currently is more than a friend. Problem is I prefer knowledge over people. Help?

Me too, although like you I do and did have friends at your age. Would study all the time, repeating things over and over. It helps that I live in Canada, where loans and bursaries are for everyone, and scholarships are easy to get.

So you can go to school all the time, for a long as you want, as long as you progress. Would sometimes study for three to four days for twelve hours before an exam, that I already had studied for, because usually I wanted to know more. Was encouraged by a few teachers too, so that helped. I'm still like that, wanting to know things.

One day both my husband and I decided that we had been in school long enough. And we needed to get full time jobs that were not minimum wage. So we did.

@SomeRandomApsie

Isn't "knowledge" an intellectual product of humans?
So when you indulge yourself in the pursuit of knowledge
aren't you immersing yourself in a most human activity?

As you say, you're not antisocial.
Your form of sociability takes an abstract form.

I have a strange obsession. I love studying. Anything from trading to science to math. When I was 11 I read the wealth of nations by Adam smith in 2 days. I'm only 15 and I love doing complex math in my head. I'm an all around nerd but it's not like I'm antisocial or anything. I have plenty of friends and a few who have been and one who currently is more than a friend. Problem is I prefer knowledge over people. Help?

I wish I had that ability or motivation to learn from lots of various materials. I find it very hard to study anything that is written, unless it is shorter than a page or two in length as I have an obsession to analyze everything word by word and reread it until I know exactly all the points made. I learn some through our children's books, textbooks and studies though, and our daily efforts to teach different things. The only thing I personally enjoy learning about is people, of all ages, types and sizes, regardless if condition diagnosed, hidden or neurotypical. That is the only thing that I find is fascinating and comes natural to me.

With regards to your thirst for knowledge, one day all those efforts and abilities will come in very handy, if not already in some ways. Like the saying goes, knowledge is power, and so if you are lacking in any other way, you will at minimum level the playing field with your wisdom, if not advance past others if you use that knowledge to your advantage. Heck, join Jeopardy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire one day, win lots of money, build a mansion, then retire without people if you want. Hire robots to clean your pool, scrub your back, and bring you lemon aide. Semi-kidding, but who knows. Or become like some Aerospace engineer. The sky is the limit.

I am the same way, though my love for studying happened during my college years. I found lots of comfort in putting ideas together and understanding how they worked together. It is strange because most people in my classes were more of the "investigative" type, but I was the "organize and summarize" type.... sort of. I liked studying and breaking things down to simpler concepts or analogies that were easier to understand. Maybe the habit of organizing my toys (cars, lego bricks, colorful blocks) as a child has carried over into my adult life.

I have very few friends, and I'm ok with that. I prefer keeping most others at a bit of a distance.

Your social life isn't suffering. So long as you are also taking care of basic needs like hygiene, sleep, and eating I don't see the problem. With decent social skills and a good work ethic all of the knowledge will take you far in life.

No need. No help required. Friends are easy to come by and will come and go many times in your life.

Revel in your studies, soak up the knowledge. There will be a lot of people saying 'you should have friends' or 'you need to do xyz'. And sometimes they will be right, for example if you need to put a 'hobbies' section on your CV or you need to improve your communication skills then fine, go out, make a friend and do just that. But if you don't need to, then study away on your own. It's that simple.

The problem is that I'd prefer reading over going to a party.

That's not a problem either. You can always party after getting a good education. Study first, party later.

Some people may label my as antisocial, not that I care about being labeled that, but it's still something I'd like to avoid.

Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it shouldn't matter. ;)

Last edited:
The problem is that I'd prefer reading over going to a party.
I'm willing to wager that would place you in good company here.

So long as you have a strong social circle I wouldn't worry too much about not going to parties. If you think it might be helpful for networking or maintaining your relationships then perhaps you should consider making a compromise. Or maybe you could try having some quieter gettogethers if noisy parties aren't your style.

I'm willing to wager that would place you in good company here.

So long as you have a strong social circle I wouldn't worry too much about not going to parties. If you think it might be helpful for networking or maintaining your relationships then perhaps you should consider making a compromise. Or maybe you could try having some quieter gettogethers if noisy parties aren't your style.
I just meant it as a problem because if I don't practice being social now, it'll be harder to get a job in the future.

Hello , Friend! I do this, too. Obsessed w Classics (greek and Roman) and have read every scrap of extent material but a few hard to find ones over 20 some years. I get it!! As to social crap? These writers are my friends. Just because Homer lived before I was born, that means nothing.

He gives me joy and hope and interests and things i cant explain. Further , all the people who have read him are my friends. Anaxagoras, socrates, Aristotle, Alexander the Great., Plutarch, Protagoras, Bacon, Newton...... Endless!!!!!!

These friends are hard to beat. After socializing with Sophocles, the chum next door seems a tad boring.

So, what, i am supposed to socialize w people who dont even know Homer just because?? Because they were born now? Haha. No thanks.

I have a few people i like and are my friends and do not mind my obsession w Homer et al. I also dont mind their obsessions. But i wont be obligated arbitrarily to choose a person just because they are here now. God knows most people step over me, so it is not like they even want me around half the time!!!!

I just meant it as a problem because if I don't practice being social now, it'll be harder to get a job in the future.

Here's an idea. Dedicate 1 hour a week to go somewhere. Just try to compliment someone's smile to a stranger or something until you don't feel you need to do that anymore, or go to 1 event per week. Something like that. It can be whatever you want as long as there are people. Then you can study as much as you want outside of that, given all the other circumstances people mentioned must stay in check too.

Here's an idea. Dedicate 1 hour a week to go somewhere. Just try to compliment someone's smile to a stranger or something until you don't feel you need to do that anymore, or go to 1 event per week. Something like that. It can be whatever you want as long as there are people. Then you can study as much as you want outside of that, given all the other circumstances people mentioned must stay in check too.
Thank you! I realized to day that I'm even isolating myself and studying when I'm sitting right next to other people. Your comment is really useful. I guess over the past month I got over being back at school. I should start with socializing when I'm near other people. Thank you so much!

@SomeRandomApsie

Isn't "knowledge" an intellectual product of humans?
So when you indulge yourself in the pursuit of knowledge
aren't you immersing yourself in a most human activity?

As you say, you're not antisocial.
Your form of sociability takes an abstract form.

Very wise comments has usual :)

Use your obsession. Enjoy it. Is it destructive? You can still learn people and improve while enjoying study.

I'm the same as you, nine years in the future. I don't have the time that I did before but it's always there. Especially areas of philosophy like epistemology and philosophy of science. The cool thing is now I can purchase great books and in the time that I can spend on it I have more resources at my disposal. Soon I'll begin learning more Latin with some books that are on the way.

New Threads

Top Bottom