1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am disgusted with many people in the world.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by KagamineLen, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KagamineLen

KagamineLen Video game and movie addict.

The general lack of concern for the value of human life has become a pervasive trait for many people in my country. Especially when those people are arguing in favor of police who commit acts of brutal and unprovoked murder just for the hell of it, because they know they can get away with it most of the time. The only reason there was a conviction today was because the evidence was so overwhelming, and yet there are still people in denial of the evidence due to their racism and their beliefs that black lives do not matter at all.

Most cops are not homicidal pigs, but they are willing to protect the homicidal pigs they work with in order to remain employed.

The pervasive feeling I get from half of my country is a general lack of respect for the sanctity of human life. I sense people thirsting for the blood of those they feel are beneath them - minorities, the disabled, the elderly, rape victims, the poor, the middle class, anybody who is not a billionaire who demands absolute worship seems to be worthy of death to these people. And it is truly disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. disconnected

disconnected Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Yes. We are in trouble these days. We don’t really watch much tv and spend a lot of time outdoors to forget today’s issues we can’t do much about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I agree with you. Unfortunately bloodlust, greed, exploitation, hatred, cruelty, etc are disgusting human tendencies that have been a problem for many thousands of years to the point of being perpetual.

For example, it's really too bad that The Bible is discounted as a religious document alone when, religion aside, it's an outstanding historical record of human behavior. The quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." comes to mind as being apropos here.

We have a bigger problem than what's been going on this last year or the last five years or the last decade, etc. Aside from very few individual cases, the whole of humanity (yes, that includes each of us) has it wrong. We all have blame to be shared.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Sapphire K

Sapphire K Autistic Demigirl! (She/They/It) V.I.P Member

TW: Child murder, police brutality

Seeing stuff on Twitter about a 15 year old black girl being killed by cops in the same day that Chauvin got (rightfully) imprisoned is heartbreaking. Some of my hope in humanity was regained and then it was almost immediately revoked. This is so impossibly messy. Why does my country have to be like this? That girl being only 3 years younger than me is kinda screwing with me emotionally. She was killed after calling the police for help because she was going to be jumped. She had a knife on her for self defense purposes. She was using that knife to defend against a woman that was attacking her. The cop saw the knife and then immediately shot her. There is body cam footage somewhere but I ain't going to look for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Lately I've been wondering about Myanmar (Burma) and the activists fighting the military and wondering if China massing at a border has anything to do with it? Russia seems to be doing something similar near the Crimea in Ukraine. And lets not forget Hong Kong and the people fighting there.

See and read the horrific everyday online and it concerns me. But, there's little I can do, it feels so pathetic that I have no real way to change any of it. Maybe I could give money, contact my MP, start a movement, protest, but I doubt if that would change anything on such a small scale.

Feeling powerless is frustrating, having no real way to change things. Yet I still hope in a naive way, that people will do the right thing eventually. I think that I have to compartmentalize what goes on in the world, so that it doesn't worry me so much. Worrying about something that I can do little about is pointless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. KagamineLen

After reading a lot of the comments in the news sections on articles about the Chauvin verdicts, and seeing all the unashamed racism on display, I am contemplating the embrace of misanthropia as a philosophical way of life.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

"..A systemic victim looks externally to understand her individual victimhood. Egocentric victimhood, on the other hand, is less outwardly focused. Egocentric victims feel that they never get what they deserve in life, never get an extra break, and are always settling for less. Neither the ‘oppressor,’ nor the attribution of blame, are very specific. Both expressions of victimhood require some level of entitlement, but egocentric victims feel particularly strongly that they, personally, have a harder go at life than others.

Those exhibiting higher levels of egocentric victimhood are more likely to have voted for, and continue to support, Donald Trump. However, those who exhibit systemic victimhood are less supportive and were less likely to vote for Trump.

The civil rights movement was about mobilizing an oppressed minority to fight for their rights, against the likelihood of state-sanctioned violence, while Trump’s appeals are about harnessing the power of the state to maintain white dominance. Trump’s appeals to discontented whites are reactionary in nature. They promise to go back to a time when whites were unquestionably at the top of the social hierarchy. These appeals are about keying into anger and fear, as opposed to hope, and they are about moving backward and not forward."

I thought you might like this Kagamine, was reading this today. And to be clear this kind of supremacy happens in every country in the world. In Canada, for example, the original owners/settlers of this land, it's Indigenous peoples were and are treated like second-class citizens. Although it's changing very slowly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

More Sapolsky----he does address this:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sapphire K

What is misanthropia?

10. Neonatal RRT

Neonatal RRT Well-Known Member

Fear.
    A basic human emotion.
    How it manifests itself is quite diverse, but often toxic, and harmful. It may start as anxiety, then blossom into controlling behaviors and suffering. It can be pathological. We can make a long list of fear-based behaviors that can destroy interpersonal relationships, to criminal activity, to even outright wars. To further complicate the dynamic is human tribalism,...this need to be part of some sort of group identity. The media in the US, and probably other places, as well, seems to focus upon "bad news",...there was a recent study showing the mainstream media outlets showed 90% bad news. Something to add fuel to any fears that may already be there. For once, I would like to see one news outlet that specifically did 100% good news,...just to be different.

I am not claiming any immunity to these behaviors, but other than my "group identity" being Aspie, I really don't want to be part of any group, and I definitely do not have fears of other people. In fact, I may go further in saying, my autism may allow some "social naivity",...not sensing fear when perhaps I should.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. KagamineLen

Hatred of mankind. It is generally a hyperbolic reaction to the situation.

12. Sapphire K

Oh, okay. I just never heard of that before.

13. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

Technically, it means hatred of mankind, from the Greek μῖσος (hatred) and ἄνθρωπος (human being). But it has a very long history of varied interpretations. It did not mean the exact same thing to all those who used it.

14. oregano

oregano Judgment day: 27/9/2021? V.I.P Member

And people wonder why I am becoming a hermit. I live in constant fear of being attacked for really no reason at all by some random guy having a bad day.

Recently I was making a right turn in downtown when a bicyclist apparently didn't realize I was making a right turn and rode between me and the parked cars. I bumped him a little, didn't even knock him down. I asked him if he was ok and he said yes, so I drove off.

The bicyclist was Black, which became crucial in what happened next. A few blocks down a big white SUV pulled alongside me and some Black guy stuck his head out the window and yelled that I was "racist" for hitting the bicyclist. (I am White.) I told the guy I didn't see the bicyclist and kept driving. A few lights down the SUV pulled up next to me again and the guy started yelling at me again. Fortunately I was able to change lanes and get off the road and lose the SUV.

I wonder if I had hurt the bicyclist and got out to render assistance if the guys in the SUV would have started beating me or worse for something that didn't involve them. I really didn't notice or care about the bicyclist's race until some random weirdo made it an issue. I have had other encounters that are similar, random people screaming at me for the flimsiest of reasons.

This is a microcosm of the wider society imo, people are always angry and hateful and want to kill some random guy for it. I have a feeling that we are one miscalculation away from a Rwanda-style genocide. White Nationalist groups claim they have lists of "race traitors" they want to kill. The best solution is retreat.

15. Sapphire K

I'm sick and tired of cis people calling trans and nonbinary people mentally ill. Calling a genderqueer person "mentally ill" because of their gender identity is not only transphobic, but ableist, as well.

This is especially harmful since studies have shown that a good portion of trans and nonbinary people are Autistic.

As an Autistic demigirl, I don't appreciate being called mentally ill for either my gender ID or being Autistic.

16. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Why isn't the term "genderqueer" offensive? The definition of the word "queer" is: "strange;odd". To me that makes it sound like trans/nonbinary people are "strange;odd". I thought we wanted to move past that as a society.

17. Sapphire K

It used to be offensive, but has since been reclaimed, and its meaning has changed. The word "queer" is now just an umbrella term for all LGBTQ+ people.

It's also important to note that several words have different definitions.

18. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree there seems to be a general lack of concern for human life in some areas. But, I don't get why police are constantly being singled out these days and people continue to paint them with broad sweeping generalizations. That is a form of hatred and bias in and of itself and is shameful. There certainly are some ways policing could be improved, but the idea of de-funding the police may have been the stupidest idea that I've ever heard of that actually was somewhat popular in some cites. We all are seeing how that is working out for those cities.

In most instances of officer involved shootings they are in very difficult situations and have to make split second decisions. I don't think people understand what it is like to be in the police officers shoes during these situations. I imagine many officers in large cities feel under appreciated and are being traumatized from having targets on their back due to the shameful generalizations about them. Those spreading the generalizations should perhaps look in the mirror and recognize the hatred and lies that they are spreading about officers in generel.

Also, what I don't understand is that some people still seem unhappy despite the guilty verdict awarded in the famous case we have all been hearing about. Maybe that is because it goes against their claim that the system is broken.

19. Sapphire K

In the United States, police are more likely to kill than to be killed on duty. Many victims of police shootings are disabled people (Yes, this includes Neurodivergent people), queer people, as well as people of color (especially black people). The simplest solution is to defund and erase them.

20. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

I'm really outraged by this too, but for different reasons.

I honestly tried to stay out of this until I gained more of the evidence, and yes, the bodycam recording does tell a different story than the one you are snipping about.
    That girl actually attacked two people as the officer was approaching her.
    She came to that protest with the damned knife, for what reason? To peel potatoes? I'm thinking not, but then again, I'm not outraged by it nor see it as an unnecessary cop killing as you do.
    Is a knife really a necessary part of a George Floyd protest?
    They found that officer guilty of all charges, so why was a protest necessary?
    Oh, I get it, fight and destroy stuff if they let the cop off.
    That makes perfect sense.
    Maybe burn down some donut shops and loot some stores to take all of the donuts while they are at it. That way, since all cops are bad, no donuts for any of them :neutral:
    That's how they responded when good ole George got killed by him, so I guess it makes perfect sense to apply, lather, rinse and repeat if they let him walk.

Did she go home to get the knife only to return to stab people that had been beating on her?
    That doesn't sound reasonable to me either, the fight would have been over the instant she left.
    I haven't seen the autopsy report where someone had already stabbed her first, so I will leave that up to the justice system to determine that if it did occur.
    And no, teen-aged knife fights are not the new normal.

The officer was doing his job, to protect and to serve.
    Don't run the BS about just shooting her in the arm or pepper spraying her either, that is not how it works.
    In snap decisions like this one, lethal force gets dealt with by lethal force.
    Her first decision should have been to walk away from a hostile situation and not continue engagement.
    Her next best decision, no matter what the prior circumstances were would to have disengaged her assailants when the officer walked towards the fray.
    She was clearly intent on doing grave bodily harm to at least two people while brandishing her knife.
    The officer responded to an assailant intent on doing grave bodily harm with the training he received and shot her in her center mass. He was well within his department's guidelines for responding to lethal danger to another human with lethal force.

The media needs to stop trying criminal cases in the court of public opinion and let the court systems and juries have the final say.
    I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot, you sure as hell would want that officer to shoot your assailant with deadly force if YOUR life was in danger of being taken.
    While any death is a tragedy, can you honestly say that the outcome would have been better if another person died due to her actions instead of her?

This all cops are bad narrative is even more insanity, and something I think needs to be addressed as well.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.