1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am amazed and shocked too

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Aspergers_Aspie, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM.

1. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

I think they are kinda cute. If you don't put any intentional meanings to them.
    Kind of like the Tickle me Elmo craze we had in America.

3. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

Well I don't know what a golliwog is so I suppose you can count me towards the "half" of brits (I'm sure this is based on very reliable statistics << sarcasm) who don't think they are racist.

4. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

They were dolls based on a stereotype, showing a simplified black faced image, they were definitely a cuddly nice toy but viewed as a portrayal of a black person, yes they are. Read the article about their origins too. Plus think how the word was shortened to a racist slur.

Robertsons jam had them as a cute logo but they withdrew them because of the racist part of the image, quite rightly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

[​IMG]

Also reminiscent of the TV show, black and white minstrel show, where white people would black up to participate

6. Jumpback

Jumpback Well-Known Member

The US would have gotten rid of those decades ago for being racist, and they are. But not really a lot more than other figures are hate against red heads

[​IMG]

upload_2020-7-1_12-18-0.jpeg

upload_2020-7-1_12-19-6.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I had to google "golliwog" because I had no idea what it was.

Yep. Holy crap that's racist.

8. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I never thought of Raggedy Ann as hate against red heads (I know there is SOME dislike for red hair but no where near the hatred for dark skin). My grandfather was one who hated red hair though...and I've been dying mine red off and on for years. He said to me "some people have to suffer their entire lives with natural red hair and you go and dye yours that color- I don't understand!" It always kind of cracked me up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jumpback

You must be in the US like me or somewhere like Canada. The thing Europeans and so on don’t seem to understand is that in some ways the US is 30-40 years further along in stamping out racism than Europe. Like I was reading how Irish Travelers and so on are still openly discriminated against. Like in a vacationers guides they can be pretty open about watching out for “gypsies”.

The US has had preferential hiring to police and firefighting for minorities going as far back as the 70s, preferential college admissions for the same period of time, special student unions for black students for about 40 years, etc. Like when my dad wanted me to join the firefighting force 30 years ago to follow in his footsteps and I was a fitness fanatic, and am pretty bright, the issue was that due to being a majority if I would have been hired because although I almost certainly would have tested at the top on everything, I am white and there were too many whites in the fire department. And this is 30 years ago, in which the issue was preferential hiring for minorities, the issue has still not changed. Although quota systems have been outlawed for being racist against whites a long time ago, there is still this perception that if you get there it’s because of white privledge, where, in reality, being a white male is still a disadvantage to getting hired for government jobs and even many corporate jobs and so on. In some ways, it just seems like Europe is at least 20 years behind the US as it relates to these things, because golliwogs would have been eliminated in the US maybe as early as the 70s or early 80s.

10. Jumpback

I don’t think that there is some secret meaning behind Raggedy Ann and other dolls, I just think that it is an art thing where the color red “pops.” But you could turn it into a hate thing if you wanted to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jumpback

In the U.K., blacks only make up about about 3% of the population, while accounting for 8% of the deaths in police custody.

Deaths in police custody in the UK 2019, by ethnicity | Statista

In the US, blacks commit 52% of the homocides but only account for 26% of police shootings.

The US hardly even has an actual discrimination issue, but Europe probably does. But due to the bizarre power of media and complete control of liberalism in media (outside Fox News) and Hollywood and especially, especially in universities, Europeans believe things which are not true about the US

White Christians living in West Virginia so not all have sex with their siblings and cousins and have IQs like monkeys and attack gays and shoot at blacks, these are hate things pushed by the media.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 5:13 PM
  12. Jumpback

13. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

No one wants to talk about it or acknowledge it in the US, but reverse racism is alive and growing here. And I'd be called a racist for saying it. The bottom line is that black neighborhoods need police to control the crime in those areas so that honest, hardworking blacks can move forward with life and protect their property from the thugs. But I'd be called a racist for saying that, too.

14. Jumpback

There was a Howard Stern interview on, I think, 60 minutes, where he talked extensively about racism and violence against him for being white at a black school in the late 60s. I think 60 minutes edited this down and got rid of almost all complaints about racism for being white back then due to sensitivity issues. Here is what’s left

Something like whether golliwogs are racist or not still be considered in the U.K. sounds like a joke. The US had similar things, but despite being born in 1971, I have never seen them...this is because they were eliminated in the US north before I was born because they are racist.

I see the US as more like if right now, the U.K. and the rest of Europe developed quota systems in police and preferential college admissions for “gypsies” and Irish Travelers and Muslims and blacks and Asians and maybe Polish people and Eastern European immigrants and so on, then went through various rounds of racism/reverse-racism, then on and on and on and on for 30-50 years with continuing affirmative action and outreach programs and special student unions and and special scholarships only for minorities (NAACP scholarships are only available for black students, white students do not have this advantage), but the problem was still absolutely proclaimed to be something more like hate and intolerance by working class or poor natives of these countries after decades of the poorer majorities getting blamed for everything for being a convenient scapegoat.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 8:33 PM
  15. Jumpback

The US has a bizarre two party system in which almost all minorities are more naturally conservative but vote liberal. Like Muslims, Hispanics, blacks, etc all are far more religious and socially conservative than the white population.

Additionally, very few of these groups like each other very much. Like LGBT transgender advocates natural enemies are far more immigrant groups than white natives who are less religious. Muslims and Jews are not close allies, but they vote for the same party. No one opposes I illegal immigration more than blacks. Etc

So the solution is finding something that all these groups might have in common, which is white racism. But white racism is getting very, very, very hard to find. So that’s why George Floyd is so important. Floyd’s murder holds the entire US system, or at least liberalism, together

Golliwogs was a thing that there was an actual US equivalent for in 1963.

Now we are playing a game.

16. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have seen blatant racism all my life. I even remember seeing separate water fountains and entrance doors for blacks and whites in hospitals, stores and restaurants when I was a child in the 1960s. But it is getting much better in the US. The vast majority of African Americans and whites are very much like each other here, and it is only a small number of blacks who are perpetually angry and feel empowered to be racist toward whites. The number of racist white people is declining, too, as older generations die.

Last week a white friend of mine and his wife went to Memphis, TN for their silver wedding anniversary. They spent one night in a very nice hotel there and walked around the corner to a nice restaurant for dinner. During dinner, some BLM protestors started raging up and down the street in front of the restaurant with bullhorns. My friend is overweight, has white hair, and has grown a goatee type beard during the quarantine. As they walked back to their hotel, a large black woman with a bullhorn started screaming at him that he was "Mr. KFC" - reference to Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now think what would have happened if he had responded by calling her "Aunt Jemima" or some other derogatory name. He and his wife just hustled back to their hotel although his wife wanted to punch the bullhorn lady for insulting her husband who is one of the least racist persons I know. He is a federal judge and race does not enter into anything he does or his rulings.

I also witnessed a lot of racism toward Native Americans and Hispanics when I lived in Utah in the 1970s.

Overall, the US is a lot less racist today than in the past but we still have a long way to go to achieve total, color-blind equality and respect.

17. Jumpback

This is the sort of thing that I think the rest of the world does not know. A white federal judge innocently going to dinner for his silver anniversary can get taunted with racist hate with no hope of hate speech consequences.

The overweight black woman can do whatever racist thing she wants completely unopposed with no media interest, but the minute the judge or his wife get mad and respond with an equally offensive “aunt jemima” this is worldwide news taken completely out of context. Your judge friends career is not only over, but he is front page global news as a prime example of judges hate in the American south and the racism and hate and racism and hate and racism and hate and even more racism that controls, somehow, poorer white Americans delusional and dangerous hate that makes them fail to vote for the democratic candidate

All the judge guy has to do is take the racist hate mongering bait and respond in kind and media has a massive new victory

Or even if I am off significantly, this just has not been anything resembling golliwogs territory in the US for many decades.