• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I always thought that I was the normal one.

sparks

Hello, I'm 54 yrs old and believe that I have undiagnosed aspergers.
Around 18 months ago, a family member commented that they thought that I had possibly got Aspergers and that I should look into it. I had a quick search for info and thought that the symptoms did appear to describe my character. Due to me having what I thought was a normal life, I decided not to look into it any further.
My recent interest is due to my 27 month old son showing signs of having an ASD. My partner and I suspected it about 6 months ago. We took him on a tots holiday a couple of weeks ago where his behaviour was noticed by other parents of children with ASD's.
This time I looked into it much deeper and realised that not only my son but also I have very strong traits.
I'm not going to try to get diagnosed myself but I will be getting my son assessed.

Welcome !

This is funny because I have been recently diagnosed with ASD , but my father ( which I believe to be on the spectrum as I believe I have inherite this from his family ) dismisses that.

And my father always complain about how he is "the only normal person in the world " xD, that everyone around him is a little bit crazy and all xD, your post reminded me of him xD

My dad was definitely an Aspie. I’ve diagnosed myself as an Aspie, it isn’t really that hard to do. Children though need a professional diagnosis.
Sometimes I think the whole world is crazy, except me of course.

I had children very young and think that at least 2 of them had an ASD. Back then I'd not heard of Aspergers and didn't think that they where different in any way. I didn't think that their lack of social interaction was strange because I had given up on a social life myself and thought it unnecessary.
It was one of my children that made me aware of the condition after one of their children was suspected of being on the spectrum.

I've known I was AS all my adult life and I've still always felt like I was the normal one and the rest of the world were the ones who didn't quite get it!

I didn't think that their lack of social interaction was strange because I had given up on a social life myself and thought it unnecessary.

Hard to understand how one could believe that. In other words 'I am one way, the world is another.' Didn't you see any red flags with that?

Weirdly enough, I always felt I was the normal one and everyone else were so crazily different and I had to act crazy so I can fit in? Then someone 5 years ago or so, on a voice chat after speaking to me for just 20 minutes said I might have Aspergers and they saw the traits as they have it too. I was very confused. I looked it up and the conventional traits didn't fit me at all. Years later, out of the blue my therapist asked if I'd been assessed for autism. Again, I was completely taken aback.
But I learned after research was that it expresses itself differently in women and it gets misdiagnosed, if at all. After I found female specific traits, it described me so well.

Weirdly enough I do believe my father shows symptoms of Aspergers, but, because such diagnoses didn't exist in the Soviet Union, he's learned to mask a lot of things really well. So his character will have been perceived as 'normal', just a bit eccentric.
I guess, if you aren't too aware of a condition, then you adapt to the point that you just make things work without putting certain thoughts or behaviours to a condition, but just a character trait... if that makes sense.

Hard to understand how one could believe that. In other words 'I am one way, the world is another.' Didn't you see any red flags with that?

My childhood was spent in a less than normal area and being part of the early mixed race generation in the UK it was difficult to work out why I didn't fit in very well.
At home I was possibly my parents favourite and at school, due to my quick temper, I was never bullied. I also did very well at school.
In many ways I had a great life and I believed that it was me excluding the world out of choice.
My parents also split up when I was about 10 yrs old and I was homeless at 15 yrs old for a short while.
Once I got on my feet, my life was good again, I managed to get a job and buy a home for my young family.
I split from my wife when the children where young and the children stayed with me while, with the help from family, I continued to work full time.
What I thought where choices seemed to work for me. I was never forced to try and mix.
I never even considered that I had an issue so I didn't think that my children had either.

Ps I'm not used to writing down my thoughts so I'm probably not explaining myself very clearly.

It is so strange viewing ones one life in a new perspective. How weird it is to realize all the signs that have been there all the time. But the signs were all made in a different language. No wonder that the world is crazy. They don't know the language. Phew...

New Threads

Top Bottom