• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I almost got lost in New York City, because...

Ameriblush

Violin player.
TL;DR : I traveled with other young adults (early 20s) my age, and got ditched in Times Square--I traveled with older folk in their 40s and had the time of my life. Linked to AS?

...I recently realized why people with Aspergers might do better with people older or younger than them, rather than people their age.

I was walking in Times Square on Saturday, November 11th with three other youths my age. None of my actual friends showed up for the trip ,(it was my universities' sponsored trip that had limited spots to apply and they didn't make it.) So I joined with these 3 kids I only somewhat knew.

They were mostly chatting among themselves and barely acknowledged I was there, and whenever I spoke, they would have this awkwardness about them when they responded. I just tried to ignore it and enjoy my trip since trips out of state are rare for me, and NYC was so far my most enjoyable place to be. (Rhymes ftw)

We went into random stores, souvenir shops, and watched parades for the veterans since that day was Veteran's Day in the US. We even dined at the Chevy's Mexican restaurant there--things were going pretty well, aside from me listening awkwardly to their conversation and taking photos for the most part. I thought they didn't mind me being g there, and I even added a few things to the conversation. What could possibly go wrong???

Inside a Forever 21 clothing store there, there were 4-5 floors. The four of us split into pairs of two and we went our merry way, looking at clothes and whatnot. As the guy I was with went to look at a jacket, I looked down at my phone to send photos to family for at least 20 seconds--and when I looked up, he was gone.

At first, I looked around, wandered a bit, then scratched me head in confusion. I waited for several minutes, before deciding to visit the other floors. Nobody I knew was in sight. I then decided to head up to the first floor by the register and waited patiently for one of them to show up at the desk. Nothing. 20 minutes went by and I didn't know whether to cry or scream in anger. I called a random professor on campus, who in turn called the leader of the tour taking us to NYC, who then called the leader of the youths I was with. I had learned that they were in Old Navy, a store halfway down the block. This implies that they purchased what they wanted and LEFT. I was told to wait for the youths to return in Forever 21.

30 MORE minutes go by, and after another call, I'm told to head to Old Navy and wait on the first floor there for them. I did, and I stood by the register and scanned the room for them.

30 more minutes went by. Eventually I contacted the leader of our original group of four youths and complained. He told me he was in Old Navy, then I responded that I was getting fed up and tired of waiting. To my utter disbelief, he got sparky with me and snapped at e talking to him in a harsh tone. I was only seconds away from telling him to bite me when I heard the leader of the NYC tour from the earlier calls come into the store in front of me, and I told he youth leader I'd be staying with the NYC tour leader instead of them. Needless to say, I was relievee, and the tour guide had to travel halfway across town from the World Trade Center to Times Square to find me, but was happy to see me.

This leader was older, had children, super nice, actually listened to me and engaged me in conversation, and asked me about stuff I wanted one buy. The others with her were all older adults and were fun to be around, had fun themselves, and didn't ask much of me. I enjoyed every rest of my trip, and weren't awkward at all with them, nor were they towards me. The original 4 I traveled with sat across the aisle from me on my tour bus back and never even acknowledged that I was there. I learned something from this.

I remembered that this sort of thing happened before with people my age, all throughout my years growing up. The older party however, always took care of me, be they teenagers, elderly, or middle-aged at the time. And even though on trips, they may go to places I don't care for, but have to tag along with anyway, as a young adult I simply enjoy being out in public now. Other than that, I wonder if any of you had similar experiences?

I've always got on better with the older generation, even during school I got on better with the older kids.

I rarely spend time with people my own age, preferring people at least 20 years plus (I'm 45). Not good with people younger than me, either. Actually at just any age I've preferred the 60 and older and men rather than women. I do have one friend my age who is a woman. But she has no kids, not married, a lay minister, and is a compulsive reader so she's not particularly typical.

I can't say definitively whether this is ASD-related or not, because it could also be NT-related, or youth-related. (Kids these days, or every days.) That said, leadership dropped the ball here, a lot.

I can't say definitively whether this is ASD-related or not, because it could also be NT-related, or youth-related. (Kids these days, or every days.) That said, leadership dropped the ball here, a lot.
I just wasn't sure, it was a trend that some guardians of those with AS/autism noticed. I found it fascinating that it fit me well,(that I'm more for older folk), and all of my friends with autism worked incredibly well with elementary/grade school age children.

Quick question...do the NTs all wear NT identification so you can keep them sorted out?

I never got lost on field trips, i straight up walked away and did my own thing. A lot of the kids in my grade were awful, i didn't want to spend five minutes with them! I'd be bullied for wandering away, and told "you need a leash" and "you ruin all our trips by getting lost" but honestly i was happier being on my own. Field trips aren't fun when you have to spend them with your peers.

I remembered that this sort of thing happened before with people my age, all throughout my years growing up. The older party however, always took care of me, be they teenagers, elderly, or middle-aged at the time. And even though on trips, they may go to places I don't care for, but have to tag along with anyway, as a young adult I simply enjoy being out in public now. Other than that, I wonder if any of you had similar experiences?

It's good you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip. Those other people in your group sound like straight up jerks. I've had similar experiences. I've been ignored and left out of groups but it usually resulted in me wandering off on my own. I figure why hang around where I'm not wanted?

I've also noticed that I get along better with people much older than me. And especially with older people who are considered eccentric, different by other people. I'm not quite sure why this is. But I've always been this way. Since I was maybe 5 years old, I got along well with the senior citizen crossing guard at my school. Rather than talking to the other kids, I would talk to the crossing guard, who was awesome! The other kids just annoyed me.

People my own age seem to notice the difference as soon as I talk. It's like something's there, something they perceive immediately and then their interaction with me changes. I also don't know how to interact with people much younger than me. With children I'm just like, "Hello, tiny human... How's it going?" The kid will look at me like I'm a Martian. And I'm just like, whelp, I tried. o_O

TL;DR : I traveled with other young adults (early 20s) my age, and got ditched in Times Square--I traveled with older folk in their 40s and had the time of my life. Linked to AS?

...I recently realized why people with Aspergers might do better with people older or younger than them, rather than people their age.

I was walking in Times Square on Saturday, November 11th with three other youths my age. None of my actual friends showed up for the trip ,(it was my universities' sponsored trip that had limited spots to apply and they didn't make it.) So I joined with these 3 kids I only somewhat knew.

They were mostly chatting among themselves and barely acknowledged I was there, and whenever I spoke, they would have this awkwardness about them when they responded. I just tried to ignore it and enjoy my trip since trips out of state are rare for me, and NYC was so far my most enjoyable place to be. (Rhymes ftw)

We went into random stores, souvenir shops, and watched parades for the veterans since that day was Veteran's Day in the US. We even dined at the Chevy's Mexican restaurant there--things were going pretty well, aside from me listening awkwardly to their conversation and taking photos for the most part. I thought they didn't mind me being g there, and I even added a few things to the conversation. What could possibly go wrong???

Inside a Forever 21 clothing store there, there were 4-5 floors. The four of us split into pairs of two and we went our merry way, looking at clothes and whatnot. As the guy I was with went to look at a jacket, I looked down at my phone to send photos to family for at least 20 seconds--and when I looked up, he was gone.

At first, I looked around, wandered a bit, then scratched me head in confusion. I waited for several minutes, before deciding to visit the other floors. Nobody I knew was in sight. I then decided to head up to the first floor by the register and waited patiently for one of them to show up at the desk. Nothing. 20 minutes went by and I didn't know whether to cry or scream in anger. I called a random professor on campus, who in turn called the leader of the tour taking us to NYC, who then called the leader of the youths I was with. I had learned that they were in Old Navy, a store halfway down the block. This implies that they purchased what they wanted and LEFT. I was told to wait for the youths to return in Forever 21.

30 MORE minutes go by, and after another call, I'm told to head to Old Navy and wait on the first floor there for them. I did, and I stood by the register and scanned the room for them.

30 more minutes went by. Eventually I contacted the leader of our original group of four youths and complained. He told me he was in Old Navy, then I responded that I was getting fed up and tired of waiting. To my utter disbelief, he got sparky with me and snapped at e talking to him in a harsh tone. I was only seconds away from telling him to bite me when I heard the leader of the NYC tour from the earlier calls come into the store in front of me, and I told he youth leader I'd be staying with the NYC tour leader instead of them. Needless to say, I was relievee, and the tour guide had to travel halfway across town from the World Trade Center to Times Square to find me, but was happy to see me.

This leader was older, had children, super nice, actually listened to me and engaged me in conversation, and asked me about stuff I wanted one buy. The others with her were all older adults and were fun to be around, had fun themselves, and didn't ask much of me. I enjoyed every rest of my trip, and weren't awkward at all with them, nor were they towards me. The original 4 I traveled with sat across the aisle from me on my tour bus back and never even acknowledged that I was there. I learned something from this.

Yes, people older than me were and continue to be MUCH easier to be around - as well as kids, now. But people of my own age group - we never got along. I think we bored and annoyed each other - but mostly, I didn't impress them, and they didn't impress me - and it seemed to me that this was a necessary prerequisite to any kind of respectful or fun interaction. Outside of my age group there was less of a social game to be played in order to treat each other decently.

New Threads

Top Bottom