• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypervigilance/inability to fall asleep?

Coupe

Does anyone else have problems with being hypervigilant or unable to calm down or quiet their minds enough to be able to peacefully fall asleep?

I've had this problem since I moved from my dad and stepmom's house to live with my mom, stepdad and younger siblings (judge me all you want, I don't care - I feel safe with them and after years of being pretty much isolated in college, it's just not healthy for me to be alone all the time). When I lived with my dad and stepmom, I was finishing up my undergrad degree and was staying in a spare room in our basement b/c it was much too humid and hot in my bedroom upstairs to sleep in there (I always knew it had to do with how something was wrong with the hot air/cool air vents in my room, but my stepmother preferred to blame it on how I had too much "stuff" in my room). I didn't mind being in the basement - all my stuffed animals and stim toys were down there, I could have snacks (as long as I kept them closed up and stored so they wouldn't attract mice), the wifi signal was strong, it was blessedly cool and breezy, and I could pretty much do what I wanted.

...So, during the day, I would sometimes come home from classes/some social event with sensory overload or just plain fatigue, and would feel like taking a nap. The problem with that, however, was twofold...or maybe threefold. I'll explain: First of all, I had developed IBS issues that summer after a really bad 24-hour virus (and I'd bet money that stress/anxiety played a major role) making sleep difficult due to physical discomfort. Second of all, my room in the basement was directly below the kitchen, where my father had taken a fall that past winter...he had been holding tightly to a chair at the kitchen table, then passed out, hitting his head on the kitchen floor and slightly injuring his ribs. Later he was dx'd with mild Parkinson's. Every time I would try to close my eyes and sleep in the basement, I would hear a sound in the kitchen (stuff being dropped, chairs scraping against the floor, and my eyes would fly open and I'd startle awake, thinking maybe my dad had fallen again. I had always felt like my dad passing out/falling was my fault, since before it had happened, my dad had taken me to pick out a new hoodie for my birthday, and the next weekend, my stepmother guilt-tripped me about it, saying that "taking me to the mall had tired him out," or something similar to that. She would also snidely inform me that my dad "couldn't always schlep me around everywhere," even though I never really went anywhere, and even stopped going to therapy during this time (which was just as well, since I didn't feel safe or bonded to the therapist at all, and she was really just as exacting and ableist as my stepmother was/is...but I stayed with her for several months b/c I felt like it was my only hope of getting "all fixed").

Third of all, and this kind of relates to my tangent above, my stepmother is pretty ableist and didn't understand my need to recuperate from socializing/sensory overload by napping...she seemed to see it as some kind of "personal failing" (just one of the many she thinks I have). So, that also precluded my being able to sleep....I'd only get guilt-tripped for it later on. She would even guilt-trip my dad for taking naps or just chilling sometimes, too, even though he needs to b/c he isn't well a lot of the time. Every day I feel so guilty that I'm in a safe place now and he still lives with her - if there was a way for him to have come with me, nothing would have made me happier. :( I think they're happier together now that I don't live there anymore, though....which kind of makes sense, to me.

My sleep problems have continued, though....I startle awake at the slightest sound during the day, and I've become something of an insomniac. I just feel like maybe I don't deserve to sleep or feel completely relaxed the way other people do. I used to fall asleep right away when I tucked my suffed Boov, Oh, under my chin, or when I held a Dumbo Tsum Tsum plush in my hand, but now not even that helps. I'm just really frustrated....why weren't my problems left back where I moved from?

Has anyone ever experienced this sort of wakefulness/inability to sleep deeply? Thanks in advance.

I've had some problems with insomnia most of my life, I currently live In a 1979 Avon travel trailer. Due to its age the trailer creeks, chirps, and make all sorts of noises making it hard to sleep sometimes. I've recently started using melatonin that's seems to work for me. I've replaced the old mattress with on made from memory Foam that's as made a world of difference for my comfort level.

I'm not sure if I have that problem itself, but I've found that if I become too aware of my own heartbeat, it (at least feels like it) starts beating a little faster and harder, and that makes it hard to fall asleep. This is problematic when I have to get up early the next morning for work. Sometimes if I daydream I can become less aware of it and relax more easily.

When I'm trying to get to sleep I often find it difficult to stop my mind from running. Sometimes I can lay in bed all night without getting a moment of sleep. Sometimes these thoughts are benighn (like thinking about my latest obsession or composing music in my head) but often my thoughts turn to my own failings, catastrophoc projections of the future, and the ineveitability of my own death. As a result I try to catch up on sleep in the day time and become rather nocternal. For whatever reasaon, even when I am very tired, I tend to become more mentally active and restless around midnight, so dayurnal sleep patterns are difficult to maintain.

I suffer from hypervigilance due to also having C-PTSD on top of me being on the spectrum but I always as far as I can remember had problems with having stressful thoughts before I go to bed,unfortunately if I worry about something I will stew on it and can't stop thinking about it,also due to PTSD i also worry about not feeling safe and worry about something bad is going to happen due to past traumatic experiences,I am a big night owl and don't go to asleep until 2 sometimes 4 am but I also notice that I'm more alert at night and also when I draw it's usually late at night I do it.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of sleep problems ever since I was really little. I've got a fan I turn on right before I fall asleep that blots out most of the noises that other people in my dorm make. Something else I do that really helps is I've memorized both Peter Pan and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I pretty much watch one of those in my head until I fall asleep. It makes my mind focus on that and my mind stops racing. I also try to go to sleep and wake up every day at the same time and I try to stop using all electronics past 8pm as they have blue screen light that keeps me awake.

Does anyone else have problems with being hypervigilant or unable to calm down or quiet their minds enough to be able to peacefully fall asleep?

Has anyone ever experienced this sort of wakefulness/inability to sleep deeply? Thanks in advance.

Yes, on occasion if something is really bothering me, I can't always push it out of my mind. Especially when I go to bed. Where it can keep me from really falling asleep and feeling as if I hardly got any sleep at all. Leaving me in an almost hung-over capacity the next day or two if it lingers. The wrong combinations of caffeine and sugar can do this to me as well.

A sustained lack of sleep has always spooked me given how active my mind seems to work. Not always easy to just turn it off when I want to, or more importantly when I need to. Reminds me of a girlfriend's daughter who had a prolonged case of sleep walking. It would catch up with her in the daytime when on occasion we weren't aware she was up wandering around in the middle of the night. She had food allergies as well...always wondered how much that might have played into it.

Very strange to witness...but it seemed to make her very drowsy sometimes the next day. It all reminds me of how bad prolonged sleep deprivation can potentially be. Especially given I don't seem to have the ability to deliberately make up for lost sleep.

Last edited:
I have a lot of difficulty sleeping. I have noticed it's worse if I haven't had enough mental stimulation.

I have a lot of difficulty sleeping. I have noticed it's worse if I haven't had enough mental stimulation.

Try to follow these tips to get better sleep. I think it's more of building a good mind and body routine to help you sleep at night.
  1. DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH SUGAR OR CAFFEINE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE BEDTIME
  2. DO NOT EXERCISE RIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED
  3. ADOPT A FIXED SLEEPING SCHEDULE
more tips here: 5 Simple Ways to Sleep Longer (and Get Better Rest!)

I've always had trouble sleeping, would often lay awake for hours and my brain never shuts off.

What helps me is having a TV on. Reason being just about anything on the TV takes me to a more calming place than what's going on inside my head.

The flickering lights also helps me sleep. I realize this goes against what many people say, but it works for me. Same if I'm driving past rows of trees with the sun shining from the side, which makes the sun flicker. I have to make extra sure I stay awake, thankfully it's not often I'm in situations like that.

Yes. Trauma and chronic stress combine to make this kind of high-arousal state a huge problem for me -- not just with sleep, but with all kinds of things. (Really, it's a problem all by itself.....being in that state is awful even when there are no practical consequences.)

judge me all you want, I don't care

I do not judge you Coupe. There is nothing shameful about needing or even just wanting to live with others, or needing any other kind of support. The cultural phenomenon of emphasizing complete indepedence and prioritizing it over well-being and productivity, of actually conflating it with well-being and productivity (as if to be happy and productive you must be completely independent -- so untrue).....I think it is a terrible, insane thing that is harmful to all of society.

I am so sorry that you have had to deal with such closed-mindedness and judgement from others. You don't deserve any of it, nobody does.

New Threads

Top Bottom