• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hyperfocus Fallout

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
How do you feel after an extended period of hyperfocus ?

I tend to get neck tension, headaches and dizziness. Probably because most of my hyperfocus will be at a PC screen or drawing - both of which aren't helped by my poor posture.

If the focus isn't at a screen I still tend to get a headache of sorts. It's often not a pain, but more like a feeling of tension, like I'm pushing myself too far and have to stop. Then of course there's the fatigue, and need for distraction to help me unwind. Focus and my attention span will usually be all over the place for several hours afterwards. So I often feel disoriented.

Ed

An extended period of hyperfocus often leads to an extended period of inattention with the lone exception of something incredibly stimulating.

My hyperfocus is usually on gaming, drawing or writing, so all of them have the fun side effect of neck pain, tension headaches and a flare up of my RSI

My legs will be soar and numb. When I hyperfocus on drawing, I sit funny and will kind of let my legs fall asleep and when I come out of it, they tingle. But it's always satisfying because I come out of it satisfied that I finished some work. Or if I'm hyperfocusing on a topic like the livelihood of tribal people, it makes my eyes feel dry. I get optimistic about all these topics and want to implement them in my life or something but it never happens, so I just store the useless information in my brain.

I like and need serious complicated things. When it's just simple stuff then l have to really work at staying focused. When l worked in law offices, l enjoyed checking everything and getting everything assembled like a production line. So l like to hyperfocus because l am totally engrossed.

My hyperfocus is usually at he PC screen.
I can sit there for hours and it seems like just a few minutes.
Anything related to medicine and sciences. Just can't satisfy my need to know.
But, it does add to tech neck, which I'm trying to help with postural exercises.

New Threads

Top Bottom