• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hyperconcentration on problem-solving.

sKeptic

Looks like I need help formalising my query, because I can't google anything useful on the keywords in the topic.
So, one of my key behavioural features is seeing every situation as a problem that needs to be solved and I have no other ways of seeing, so it looks kinda like an AS feature (if someone could explain it's not it would be very useful too!). There should be something on the topic so I must've used the wrong words, English is not my native language.
Or maybe google engine became too smart for me.

Any help will be appreciated, keywords, links, anything.

Just thinking as I type here. So bear with me. Maybe something I type will jump out at you and give you some ideas.

What kind of problems are you talking about here? Are they actual problems for you? Are they problems for other people? Problems you encounter doing school work that stump you and you obsess over them for too long? Problems you have with particular autistic behaviors? Overthinking something that occurred in the past, or thinking about potential problems that can arise in the future. Are you seeing problems where most others do not see them?

You can probably tell I'm a serious overthinker :eek:

I agree with the questions. I tend to try to be a problem solver - for myself and for everyone around me. I lay awake nights trying to solve problems for others while they sleep soundly. lol

It looks like you see as a problem the situation that you see every situation as a problem that need a solution.

If you find a solution, you are probably a good problem solver.

Generally they say using your strength is stimulating and increases satisfaction.

So I would say, go on ;):p

The word you should look up is "systemising"

There's quite a bit of work out there on it. Simon Baron Cohen wrote a paper on systemising in emotional situations in the early 2000s but he mistakenly used it as a backdrop for his "hypermasculinity" theory which doesn't hold much water. The observations on systemising are still valid, if not the conclusions.

This link (pdf) may be a good start :)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2seQFONCCceD0_31zavOap

The word you should look up is "systemising
Yes, thank you, it's quite an interesting framework and it's totally related!

Sadly, no, but this is the kind of information google gave me, so I should definitely use some other words for the description :)

Just thinking as I type here. So bear with me. Maybe something I type will jump out at you and give you some ideas.

What kind of problems are you talking about here? Are they actual problems for you? Are they problems for other people? Problems you encounter doing school work that stump you and you obsess over them for too long? Problems you have with particular autistic behaviors? Overthinking something that occurred in the past, or thinking about potential problems that can arise in the future. Are you seeing problems where most others do not see them?

You can probably tell I'm a serious overthinker :eek:
I don't mean any negative connotation, a problem is just a task that needs to be done. And it could be anything. Other people tend to just whine about their problems and that is unacceptable for me. Actually, this is what I need to solve right now.

I don't have any attention deficit, so my experience could be irrelevant, but overthinking for me is just a poor problem-solving, wrong either in used approach and methods, or prioritizing and the model of the whole picture.

It looks like you see as a problem the situation that you see every situation as a problem that need a solution.

If you find a solution, you are probably a good problem solver.

Generally they say using your strength is stimulating and increases satisfaction.

So I would say, go on ;):p
No, it's not a problem for me, because, you're right, I'm objectively good at problem-solving. My problem is other people not living the way I am :) So I need to understand me better to understand them.

I don't mean any negative connotation, a problem is just a task that needs to be done. And it could be anything. Other people tend to just wine about their problems and that is unacceptable for me. Actually, this is what I need to solve right now.

I don't have any attention deficit, so my experience could be irrelevant, but overthinking for me is just a poor problem-solving, wrong either in used approach and methods, or prioritizing and the model of the whole picture.

I see. Perhaps search "compulsive problem solving" on Google and take it from there.

The misconception about ADHD is that we ADHDers have a "deficit" in attention, but that's not entirely true. In fact, the subject of your post has a word that is very familiar to us and describes what appears to others as "inattention." Hyperconcentration, or what we call hyperfocus. We only care about what stimulates us, everything else ceases to exist. If severe enough, unmedicated, a lot of areas of our lives will fall apart because we pay far too much attention to whatever stimulates us at the time. It becomes unhealthy.

I am a "slow" problem solver. I enjoy problem solving, but I enjoy rumination and soaking in the details as much as getting to the solution. For me, it's extremely stimulating to the mind (that could be my ADHD).

And we definitely have problems with prioritizing.

@sKeptic

What's the difference between how other people live
and the way you live?

"Other people tend to just whine about their problems and that is unacceptable for me.
Actually, this is what I need to solve right now.
"

What does that mean?
Does that mean you find it unacceptable that other people complain?
Does that mean you find complaining an unacceptable behavior for yourself?
Or what do you mean by you need to solve that?

What is it that you think needs solving?

New Threads

Top Bottom